U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-17-2011, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Abilene, Texas
8,746 posts, read 7,742,619 times
Reputation: 55865

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Got me thinking that an Oklahoma/Texas conference (Midland South Conference/MSC or South-Central Conference/SCC) could totally be done if 10 teams is all that is needed.......going off Beebe's and what other Big 12 Conference AD's have been saying about keeping ONLY 10 teams in the conference.

Here's what the South-Central Conference could look like (this is assuming that Arkansas would never leave the SEC and come back to its conference roots)......

SSC East
A&M
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Tulsa
Houston

SSC West
Baylor
SMU (or UTEP?)
TCU
Texas
Texas Tech

What do you think? Pretty salty and keeps the geographic/cultural lines intact.
That looks good to me! Like Acuda said above, you could add UTEP in the SSC West and Rice in the SSC East if you wanted a CCG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-17-2011, 12:28 PM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,414,891 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
To use the Big 12 as an example, it's ridiculous IMO to have these student athletes traveling 1200 miles to play some school on the west or east coast. That extended travel time cuts into their time to study, hang out with their friends, etc.


So why is it ok for basketball STUDENT athletes to travel this way but not for football STUDENT athletes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2011, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Abilene, Texas
8,746 posts, read 7,742,619 times
Reputation: 55865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post


So why is it ok for basketball STUDENT athletes to travel this way but not for football STUDENT athletes?
I don't think basketball student athletes or any other student athletes of any other collegiate sport should have to travel that far either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2011, 11:41 AM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,414,891 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
I don't think basketball student athletes or any other student athletes of any other collegiate sport should have to travel that far either.


But they do... And you are not complaining. Only about the football players. And this has been going on in Basketball for decades...

Here is part of Duke's schedule from last year...

Mon, Nov 22 Marquette
O'Reilly Auto Parts CBE Classic at Kansas City, MO 7:30 PM ESPN2W 82-77
Mason Plumlee Tue, Nov 23 Kansas State
O'Reilly Auto Parts CBE Classic at Kansas City, MO10:15 PM ESPNW 82-68
Kyrie Irving Sat, Nov 27 Oregon at Portland, OR4:00 PM FSNW 98-71
Kyle Singler


here is the maui Invitational Teams

http://www.mauiinvitational.com/


Duke
Georgetown
Kansas
Memphis
Michigan
Tennessee
UCLA
Belmont
Middle Tennessee
Towson
UNCG

All of which are traveling that far...

Last edited by Mr. GE; 08-18-2011 at 11:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2011, 12:05 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,413 posts, read 7,712,582 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post


So why is it ok for basketball STUDENT athletes to travel this way but not for football STUDENT athletes?
The trouble it brings the student-athlete notwithstanding, very few fans in these parts will travel to watch a basketball game. There is a reason the basketball stadiums are about 10x smaller than the football stadiums.

Sorry GE, basketball is just not anywhere on the same level in terms of importance here in Oklahoma/Texas. Just the way it is.

Probably not what you want to hear, but it's the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2011, 12:09 PM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,414,891 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
The trouble it brings the student-athlete notwithstanding, very few fans in these parts will travel to watch a basketball game. There is a reason the basketball stadiums are about 10x smaller than the football stadiums.

Sorry GE, basketball is just not anywhere on the same level in terms of importance here in Oklahoma/Texas. Just the way it is.

Probably not what you want to hear, but it's the truth.

My point is why are you not advocating for ALL student athletes to NOT travel... why just football? because its more important? is that your reason... really?

So you are basically saying its about $$$$$$$$ when u mention the fans not traveling.... But isnt that an oxymoron since the reason to have these super conferences is to make more money. but you are opposed to it because it takes away from the students "study" and "friend" time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2011, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Abilene, Texas
8,746 posts, read 7,742,619 times
Reputation: 55865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post


But they do... And you are not complaining. Only about the football players. And this has been going on in Basketball for decades...

I didn't say anything about basketball here because this is a football thread in a football forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2011, 01:06 PM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,414,891 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
I didn't say anything about basketball here because this is a football thread in a football forum.

You used the term STUDENT athlete... i guess only football players are student athletes because this is a football forum.



don't lean on the football forum mercy when you introduced all athletes cause your point doesn't make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2011, 08:18 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,413 posts, read 7,712,582 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
You used the term STUDENT athlete... i guess only football players are student athletes because this is a football forum.



don't lean on the football forum mercy when you introduced all athletes cause your point doesn't make sense.
I think you are pointing out a very MINOR part of what TTDave had to say.

Do you really think the basketball teams going to the Maui Invitational are expected to have a fans from their region travel with them? As a fan, I'm just as concerned of what realignment will do to me as the student-athlete (I was a student-athlete AGES ago!). I personally enjoy traveling to games in Texas as well as Oklahoma State. Outside of this region, not so much.

The difference is that for the majority of teams/programs here in the South-Central region every other sport sits under football in terms of prominence and priority. If fans cannot travel to football games because they are too far then the programs (and the fans) will suffer mightily in the long run. It will diminish what has made football traditions (all over the country I might add) so great = regional/cultural similarities. Getting back to the main point of this thread, that was Kriegel's argument and I agree with at least the main claim of his article.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 08-18-2011 at 08:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2011, 08:51 PM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,414,891 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I think you are pointing out a very MINOR part of what TTDave had to say.

Do you really think the basketball teams going to the Maui Invitational are expected to have a fans from their region travel with them? As a fan, I'm just as concerned of what realignment will do to me as the student-athlete (I was a student-athlete AGES ago!). I personally enjoy traveling to games in Texas as well as Oklahoma State. Outside of this region, not so much.

The difference is that for the majority of teams/programs here in the South-Central region every other sport sits under football in terms of prominence and priority. If fans cannot travel to football games because they are too far then the programs (and the fans) will suffer mightily in the long run. It will diminish what has made football traditions (all over the country I might add) so great = regional/cultural similarities. Getting back to the main point of this thread, that was Kriegel's argument and I agree with at least the main claim of his article.


you guys are using hyperbole to make your point... for example, traveling from A&M to the SEC states is NOT a huge difference than what was being done 2 years ago in the Big 12 and the entire nation now. A&M & Colorado are 1K miles from each other! (Oregon & Arizona are 1200 miles apart, Minnesota & Penn State are 1K miles apart)... Point is Conferences are far apart now!

Back to A&M realign to the SEC. the SEC has the BEST attendance in college football. Not many Aggie fans are gonna get a ticket to the SEC stadiums anyway. So the fans don't need to travel! That's something you all introduced. Every school can fill their own stadium. So not traveling will diminish the sport, my ass... The Aggie Nation would garner so much attention from being in the SEC. The television ratings are crazy for the SEC. And the fans of the SEC are not checking for A&M now. It would expand their fanbase, their recruiting pool, generate more money, thus improving their program! And this is not good for the sport?

But I digress. Stay in the "South-Central" in your little bubble and dont come out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top