U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 04:08 PM

5,417 posts, read 7,723,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post

you guys are using hyperbole to make your point... for example, traveling from A&M to the SEC states is NOT a huge difference than what was being done 2 years ago in the Big 12 and the entire nation now. A&M & Colorado are 1K miles from each other! (Oregon & Arizona are 1200 miles apart, Minnesota & Penn State are 1K miles apart)... Point is Conferences are far apart now!

Back to A&M realign to the SEC. the SEC has the BEST attendance in college football. Not many Aggie fans are gonna get a ticket to the SEC stadiums anyway. So the fans don't need to travel! That's something you all introduced. Every school can fill their own stadium. So not traveling will diminish the sport, my ass... The Aggie Nation would garner so much attention from being in the SEC. The television ratings are crazy for the SEC. And the fans of the SEC are not checking for A&M now. It would expand their fanbase, their recruiting pool, generate more money, thus improving their program! And this is not good for the sport?

But I digress. Stay in the "South-Central" in your little bubble and dont come out.
I NEVER said anything about NOT wanting to join the SEC. I think an Oklahoma/Texas/Arkansas/Louisiana conference merger for the SEC West would work nicely. (There is cultural commonality between these states as well.) I would be okay with traveling to Arkansas and Louisiana, but passed that....probably not.

The Sooners did not join the SEC (at the invitation of the SEC btw) last summer during realignment because the OU Brass knew that it would be tougher for the Sooners to succeed year in and year out in the SEC. Also, President Boren wants OU to have more the academic prowess of the PAC (I could care less) so that is another major reason the Sooners didn't join the SEC last summer.

Of course, everyone is all over the SEC right now, but actually when the Big 12 was formed it had more traditional powers. Oklahoma and Nebraska are 2 top tier programs at the highest of the college football echelon and Texas is just below that top tier. Bama and Tennessee = fallen off big time (and now Johnny Come Lately LSU and Florida) were the top programs in the SEC during the formation of the Big 12. In terms of tradition I would put OU/Texas/Huskers up against any conference triad.

Losing Nebraska effectively ended the sexiness/cache' of the Big 12. It's done....and with A&M moving on, well.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 10:48 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,417,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I NEVER said anything about NOT wanting to join the SEC. I think an Oklahoma/Texas/Arkansas/Louisiana conference merger for the SEC West would work nicely. (There is cultural commonality between these states as well.) I would be okay with traveling to Arkansas and Louisiana, but passed that....probably not.

The Sooners did not join the SEC (at the invitation of the SEC btw) last summer during realignment because the OU Brass knew that it would be tougher for the Sooners to succeed year in and year out in the SEC. Also, President Boren wants OU to have more the academic prowess of the PAC (I could care less) so that is another major reason the Sooners didn't join the SEC last summer.

Of course, everyone is all over the SEC right now, but actually when the Big 12 was formed it had more traditional powers. Oklahoma and Nebraska are 2 top tier programs at the highest of the college football echelon and Texas is just below that top tier. Bama and Tennessee = fallen off big time (and now Johnny Come Lately LSU and Florida) were the top programs in the SEC during the formation of the Big 12. In terms of tradition I would put OU/Texas/Huskers up against any conference triad.

Losing Nebraska effectively ended the sexiness/cache' of the Big 12. It's done....and with A&M moving on, well.....
We are having two different conversations...

My comment is only about Dave's orginal post echoing Kriegel sentiment as to why regional teams should not re-align or join other conferences not in their region... which is a general opinion in regard to why teams should stay in the conferences they are in now. One of Dave's reasons was the travel distance and that fans couldnt go and that student-athletes would miss out on studying and friendships. ALL this other stuff you are bring up now is of no consequence to me. The only reason I brought up going to the SEC specifically was as a rebuttal to the point you made about making the "Big 12" programs that left weaker by having its teams leave. So i was pointing out that in A&M's case it would make their program much stronger and the factors You & Dave used was cancelled because distance & missing studying time exists now. So... That was my only point.

1)Distance exists now.
2)Missing studying exists now.
3)Fan attendance is not needed.

Every team in the Big 12 except Texas should be trying to move into the SEC as quickly possible to help their programs. Simple as that...

Old 08-21-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
We are having two different conversations...

My comment is only about Dave's orginal post echoing Kriegel sentiment as to why regional teams should not re-align or join other conferences not in their region... which is a general opinion in regard to why teams should stay in the conferences they are in now. One of Dave's reasons was the travel distance and that fans couldnt go and that student-athletes would miss out on studying and friendships. ALL this other stuff you are bring up now is of no consequence to me. The only reason I brought up going to the SEC specifically was as a rebuttal to the point you made about making the "Big 12" programs that left weaker by having its teams leave. So i was pointing out that in A&M's case it would make their program much stronger and the factors You & Dave used was cancelled because distance & missing studying time exists now. So... That was my only point.

1)Distance exists now.
2)Missing studying exists now.
3)Fan attendance is not needed.

Every team in the Big 12 except Texas should be trying to move into the SEC as quickly possible to help their programs. Simple as that...
>>>>>
So i was pointing out that in A&M's case it would make their program much stronger
<<<<<

That may be true, but I personally believe it will take a long time for A&M to have any major success in the SEC.

1)Distance exists now. (Answer: Not as much as if Big 12 South teams moved to the PAC or the Big 10.)

2)Missing studying exists now. (Answer: They're athletes. Most of their girlfriends do their homework for them.)

3)Fan attendance is not needed. (Answer: Fans like to be able to travel to see games. It will hurt A&M and its following and recruiting in Texas if fans can't see MOST of the games. Right now they play 3 games in Texas and 2 in Oklahoma....5 hours away tops = very manageable travel schedule on the whole. With the Big 12 North added you've got Kansas, K-State, Iowa State, and Missouri.....I'm guessing many Aggie fans won't travel to these games.) Thus, it could be argued that A&M going to the SEC will force the Aggies to travel as far/farther as if they were playing Big 12 North teams (with the exception of LSU of course.)

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 08-21-2011 at 07:38 PM..

Old 08-22-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
>>>>>
It will hurt A&M and its following and recruiting in Texas if fans can't see MOST of the games.
But the benefits of playing a few nationally televised SEC games trump everything in this sentence even in Texas.

Because it will increase the following, help recruiting, and even increase applicants... Thus helping A&M.

How many fans travel to EVERY game? A&M is not exactly known as a well traveling program. So not many... and most of those DIE HARD fans will still travel regardless if its further.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:50 PM

8,406 posts, read 8,403,312 times
Quote:
But the benefits of playing a few nationally televised SEC games trump everything in this sentence even in Texas.

Because it will increase the following, help recruiting, and even increase applicants... Thus helping A&M.

How many fans travel to EVERY game? A&M is not exactly known as a well traveling program. So not many... and most of those DIE HARD fans will still travel regardless if its further.
How will it help A&M when they get blown out in most of those televised TV battles?

Old 08-22-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
How will it help A&M when they get blown out in most of those televised TV battles?

Geez guys... They won't get blown out in every game! If I thought that I wouldn't want them to come to the SEC. And even if they do... they will grow and adapt. Look at South Carolina. Their program had no business being in the SEC when they joined. But their program has elevated itself because it is in the SEC and is now considered a top program. And its one of the top money earning programs in the country as well now.

In addition, The SEC puts more players in the league. Big time recruits notice that and dont care about winning as much as they care about gettin to the League. and those big time recruits in the state of TX will look at the pub that A&M is getting by being in the SEC more so than they ever have before because they will want to go to the League.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:30 PM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,212,131 times
Quote:
Got me thinking that an Oklahoma/Texas conference (Midland South Conference/MSC or South-Central Conference/SCC) could totally be done if 10 teams is all that is needed.......going off Beebe's and what other Big 12 Conference AD's have been saying about keeping ONLY 10 teams in the conference.

Here's what the South-Central Conference could look like (this is assuming that Arkansas would never leave the SEC and come back to its conference roots)......

SSC East
A&M
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Tulsa
Houston

SSC West
Baylor
SMU (or UTEP?)
TCU
Texas
Texas Tech

What do you think? Pretty salty and keeps the geographic/cultural lines intact.
I'm just gonna tell ya right now. As long as Texas, A&M, Tech, and OU exists, there wont be too many other Texas and Oklahoma schools in one division. Only one other (Baylor and Oklahoma St. in the Big XII for example) from the same state is accepted.

The Big XII's "Big Three of Texas" and OU don't want the Lone Star State poached by other schools that has a strong posibility of other schools catching up to their level like TCU, or maybe U of H. . . . .

Old 08-23-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I'm just gonna tell ya right now. As long as Texas, A&M, Tech, and OU exists, there wont be too many other Texas and Oklahoma schools in one division. Only one other (Baylor and Oklahoma St. in the Big XII for example) from the same state is accepted.

The Big XII's "Big Three of Texas" and OU don't want the Lone Star State poached by other schools that has a strong posibility of other schools catching up to their level like TCU, or maybe U of H. . . . .

This is a very interesting perspective which doesn't appear to be backed up by any real legitimate data.

Unlike some Texans, Oklahomans/Sooners have no fear of smaller schools (such as Tulsa, for example) catching up to us. We're the Sooners and when it comes to prestige/tradition we're everybody's Daddy, including the Horns.

A&M's Little Brother envy of the Horns is just so sad. It's caused a totally unnecessary meltdown in Aggie Land and will spell the end of the Big 12-2, or whatever it is now. (They should have never fired Slocum....they would still be competing with Tejas year in and year out.)

Old 08-23-2011, 07:45 PM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,212,131 times
Quote:

This is a very interesting perspective which doesn't appear to be backed up by any real legitimate data.

Unlike some Texans, Oklahomans/Sooners have no fear of smaller schools (such as Tulsa, for example) catching up to us. We're the Sooners and when it comes to prestige/tradition we're everybody's Daddy, including the Horns.

A&M's Little Brother envy of the Horns is just so sad. It's caused a totally unnecessary meltdown in Aggie Land and will spell the end of the Big 12-2, or whatever it is now. (They should have never fired Slocum....they would still be competing with Tejas year in and year out.)
I will say, there is no legitimate data. But there are a hell of alot of alumni, backers, and people close enough to the presidents to at least make you think about it....

I may not know about Okie, but I KNOW people from these schools I've mentioned who openly it wouldn't be good for business or recuriting. Headlines like this:
TCU's recruiting classes beginning to compete with best of Big 12 | TCU Horned Frogs News - Sports News for Dallas, Texas - SportsDayDFW are NOT what Mack Brown wants to see.

Also, Bass, I figured you wouldn't understand this as much since your state doesn't have as much competition.

OK: 3 FBS schools.

TX: 10 FBS schools (with 2 more coming next season)

So it's a bit of a dog fight for attention, here.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I will say, there is no legitimate data. But there are a hell of alot of alumni, backers, and people close enough to the presidents to at least make you think about it....

I may not know about Okie, but I KNOW people from these schools I've mentioned who openly it wouldn't be good for business or recuriting. Headlines like this:
TCU's recruiting classes beginning to compete with best of Big 12 | TCU Horned Frogs News - Sports News for Dallas, Texas - SportsDayDFW are NOT what Mack Brown wants to see.

Also, Bass, I figured you wouldn't understand this as much since your state doesn't have as much competition.

OK: 3 FBS schools.

TX: 10 FBS schools (with 2 more coming next season)

So it's a bit of a dog fight for attention, here.
I see what you're saying.

I actually would love to have TCU/Houston/Tulsa in the Big 12. So, I would agree with you to some extent....and those (such as Tejas' legislators and pompous alumni from UT or A&M) that don't want the so-called "Little Guys" in the conference are in the wrong, IMO.

TCU just needs to keep their relatively current track of success of winning and being a "giant killer" every now and then and they'll be just fine in the long run and realignment, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football