U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-15-2011, 05:14 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,317 posts, read 7,274,584 times
Reputation: 2930

Advertisements

See it here. Geography and culture should be THE driving forces in conference structure and comprisement. Unfortunately, we're headed a different direction and it looks inevitable that the great regional boundaries that make us different are going to be blurred forever.

College sports homogenization is bringing down the country - College Football News | FOX Sports on MSN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2011, 05:21 PM
 
Location: The City
21,892 posts, read 30,380,981 times
Reputation: 7435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
See it here. Geography and culture should be THE driving forces in conference structure and comprisement. Unfortunately, we're headed a different direction and it looks inevitable that the great regional boundaries that make us different are going to be blurred forever.

College sports homogenization is bringing down the country - College Football News | FOX Sports on MSN

Interesting article but is a sign of the times.

Honestly to me it is just a matter of time for mega conferances in the country.

Seriously can see TX, ND, MD and Rutgers in the big Ten

It is good for TV ratings but bad for the rivalry. I am actually excited to play Nebraska every year as a PSU fan but the geographical rivalry is a stretch at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2011, 10:05 PM
 
1,261 posts, read 1,711,710 times
Reputation: 371
wow what a lame article.

America is about making bank and if breaking down tribalism and homogeonizing conferences is what it takes to make bank that so it shall be.

Plus this overall idea of tribalism rapidly going away is hyperbole. If it was true, it wouldn't take as long to get things done in Congress!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2011, 05:45 AM
 
22,770 posts, read 24,817,054 times
Reputation: 14504
Quote:
Again, as a New Yorker
this quote^^ pretty much invalidates whatever the author was going to say about college football.

i guess i agree with his sentiment, stick to your regional area. i just happen to think A&M suits the SEC fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2011, 06:36 AM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
7,659 posts, read 7,652,127 times
Reputation: 6046
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
wow what a lame article.

America is about making bank and if breaking down tribalism and homogeonizing conferences is what it takes to make bank that so it shall be.

Plus this overall idea of tribalism rapidly going away is hyperbole. If it was true, it wouldn't take as long to get things done in Congress!
The best parts of the article were his comments on Texas A&M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2011, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Abilene, Texas
8,746 posts, read 7,424,079 times
Reputation: 55863
I agree with Kriegel. The interesting and unique rivalries, traditions, etc., amongst the teams have occured mostly because of the regional proximity of the college teams. That what makes it unique from pro sports. And some people tend to forget that these college athletes are STUDENT athletes. They are pursuing degrees, hanging out with their friends, dating girls, etc. They are not professional athletes. To use the Big 12 as an example, it's ridiculous IMO to have these student athletes traveling 1200 miles to play some school on the west or east coast. That extended travel time cuts into their time to study, hang out with their friends, etc. And besides that, most people in this region of the country couldn't care less about the teams on the west or east coast. Creating a few super-conferences also has an impact on the ability of fans to attend the games. It's a lot more likely that I would drive to Norman, Oklahoma to watch Texas Tech play the Oklahoma Sooners than it would be for me to travel all the way to Eugene, Oregon to watch Tech play the Ducks. I'm not going to be able to travel to Eugene unless I save up a lot of money for travel expenses. I have no doubt that the money to be made is going to rule the day and we will end up with a few super-conferences spread out all over the country. Even though that seems to be inevitable at this point, I don't have to like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2011, 04:35 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,317 posts, read 7,274,584 times
Reputation: 2930
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
I agree with Kriegel. The interesting and unique rivalries, traditions, etc., amongst the teams have occured mostly because of the regional proximity of the college teams. That what makes it unique from pro sports. And some people tend to forget that these college athletes are STUDENT athletes. They are pursuing degrees, hanging out with their friends, dating girls, etc. They are not professional athletes. To use the Big 12 as an example, it's ridiculous IMO to have these student athletes traveling 1200 miles to play some school on the west or east coast. That extended travel time cuts into their time to study, hang out with their friends, etc. And besides that, most people in this region of the country couldn't care less about the teams on the west or east coast. Creating a few super-conferences also has an impact on the ability of fans to attend the games. It's a lot more likely that I would drive to Norman, Oklahoma to watch Texas Tech play the Oklahoma Sooners than it would be for me to travel all the way to Eugene, Oregon to watch Tech play the Ducks. I'm not going to be able to travel to Eugene unless I save up a lot of money for travel expenses. I have no doubt that the money to be made is going to rule the day and we will end up with a few super-conferences spread out all over the country. Even though that seems to be inevitable at this point, I don't have to like it.

>>>>>
And besides that, most people in this region of the country couldn't care less about the teams on the west or east coast. Creating a few super-conferences also has an impact on the ability of fans to attend the games.
<<<<<

Couldn't have said it better myself, TTDave. Much to the chagrin of Northerners (Big 10/Big East) and Westerners (PAC12) we're not too worried about sports/teams in other regions of the country.

We've got our own thing going here in the South-Central and I would like to keep it that way. I STILL would love to see a conference consisting of only Oklahoma and Texas teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2011, 08:09 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,317 posts, read 7,274,584 times
Reputation: 2930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
And besides that, most people in this region of the country couldn't care less about the teams on the west or east coast. Creating a few super-conferences also has an impact on the ability of fans to attend the games.
<<<<<

Couldn't have said it better myself, TTDave. Much to the chagrin of Northerners (Big 10/Big East) and Westerners (PAC12) we're not too worried about sports/teams in other regions of the country.

We've got our own thing going here in the South-Central and I would like to keep it that way. I STILL would love to see a conference consisting of only Oklahoma and Texas teams.
Got me thinking that an Oklahoma/Texas conference (Midland South Conference/MSC or South-Central Conference/SCC) could totally be done if 10 teams is all that is needed.......going off Beebe's and what other Big 12 Conference AD's have been saying about keeping ONLY 10 teams in the conference.

Here's what the South-Central Conference could look like (this is assuming that Arkansas would never leave the SEC and come back to its conference roots)......

SSC East
A&M
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Tulsa
Houston

SSC West
Baylor
SMU (or UTEP?)
TCU
Texas
Texas Tech

What do you think? Pretty salty and keeps the geographic/cultural lines intact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2011, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
2,091 posts, read 2,916,732 times
Reputation: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Got me thinking that an Oklahoma/Texas conference (Midland South Conference/MSC or South-Central Conference/SCC) could totally be done if 10 teams is all that is needed.......going off Beebe's and what other Big 12 Conference AD's have been saying about keeping ONLY 10 teams in the conference.

Here's what the South-Central Conference could look like (this is assuming that Arkansas would never leave the SEC and come back to its conference roots)......

SSC East
A&M
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Tulsa
Houston

SSC West
Baylor
SMU (or UTEP?)
TCU
Texas
Texas Tech

What do you think? Pretty salty and keeps the geographic/cultural lines intact.
Since there are only 10 teams, why put them into divisions? Can't have a CCG at only 10. If you were to add 2 more for a CCG, who'd you add? Rice and UTEP would be good IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2011, 12:18 AM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,317 posts, read 7,274,584 times
Reputation: 2930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Since there are only 10 teams, why put them into divisions? Can't have a CCG at only 10. If you were to add 2 more for a CCG, who'd you add? Rice and UTEP would be good IMO.
Just easier to think of them in terms of divisions.....at least it is for me; I've been conditioned by the former divisions in the Big 12. I already miss the best division in college football, the Big 12 South.

Also, I'm chapped that the Big 12 Championship is going away (used to be something we, along with the SEC/ACC could hold over Pac10/Big10 = no longer).....looks like the conference may go away too.

Yeh, I think Rice (in the East SCC) and UTEP (in the West SCC) are the only teams left that could pull in some legitimate talent to compete over the long haul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top