U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 07:44 AM

5,507 posts, read 9,304,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Dominate... The offense mind of Dan Mullin and his pupil Tebow left and so did all your wins. Welcome to your dark ages

Florida Gators Offensive Circus - YouTube

Believe whatever you want to believe but both schools have portrayed it; Miami not as much these past couple years since the FIU game (2006). Florida, on the other hand, is still dealing with the effects of Meyer and the criminals he employed on his team. Hence, star CB Jenkins being cut for his senior season on marijuana charges; this was his fourth charge (one for misdemeanor for fighting and then resisting arrest by fleeing police, and three all for possession of marijuana). But I guess you should have already known that...

Think it only exist for football... it exist in your Basketball program too. Billy Donovon is just as much as crook. Two players (Erik Murphy and Cody Larson) arrested for breaking into someone's car this past April.

I am sure you are also aware of your Gator Swag song too...

What the hell is Foley doing but supporting/promoting "thug culture" with all these criminals at Florida...
You have a hard time grasping that arrests are quite different than a program PROMOTING and accepting the thug culture as a way to bring kids there.

You really don't have much of a clue how the Miami program ran before Randy showed up. He seemed to do a nice job cleaning it up a bit but of course you saw what that meant. No one showed up and they lost many games. The bandwagon Miami fans aren't showing up unless you win and have a "flashy" product you promote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyFootballGuy View Post
When Miami was good, they had more of an NFL feel to them then any other college program in the history of college football. There was nothing like the Canes at the Orange Bowl and there will never be anything like it ever again. For me it's like the late 90's New York Yankees teams at the old Yankee Stadium. Something special in history and there will never be anything like it again.
Well they have no dedicated fanbase so in many ways you are right. Their fans are people who never went to the school and only show up when they win which is much like professional sports.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:32 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,955,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
You could see a deemphasis of the sport at the school to an extent. If that happens, big time South Florida players are likely to only look at UF and FSU. Florida in particular has had a major gain in South Floridian students and alumni in the last 25 years, so it'll only help their presence there.
Both schools for years have poached kids from South Florida. But at the same time both schools recruit NATIONALLY, bringing in top recruits from everywhere. The South Florida high school kids naturally want to go to Miami, same reason people still go to USC even during their rough times. I don't see that changing. The kids looking for big programs have been moving onwards for many years now since Miami's downfall. I don't much changing in the scheme of recruiting (outside loss of scholorships i.e. not able to take as many football players on).

Quote:
I doubt The U gets kicked out of the ACC because it'll RUIN the recent TV contracts. Not to mention the drag on all the non football programs of Miami that would be put in a wasteland if we kicked them out.
No way anyone kicks out a program from a conference. Alabama spent many years in probation and were never kicked. USC currently is in and hasn't been kicked. No way Miami does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorNation
You have a hard time grasping that arrests are quite different than a program PROMOTING and accepting the thug culture as a way to bring kids there.
Thug = a tough and violent man, esp a criminal (dictonary.com). Someone who gets arrested has a criminal record. Keeping players who commit crimes (multiple times, in the case of a couple players) is promoting "Thug Life". Seriously, you are in denial.

As for Miami, fully aware of their history. For many years (80s-early 00s), they carried a swagger i.e. what you call "Thug Life". Note it was mainly due to on-the-field antics (i.e. Fatigues, War Analogies, dancing in the end zone, etc), not off-the-field antics like Florida recently had. After the brawl in 2006, UM has been relatively quiet. Thanks to Randy Shannon implementing a zero tolerance policy. Grades went up, on/off the field problems went way down. We will see if Golden can keep it up. At the same time, you can hope Muschamp untarnishes UF's criminal image.

Last edited by ncopus99; 08-19-2011 at 09:13 AM..

Old 08-19-2011, 10:03 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,775,601 times
I do know that both schools recruit nationally.

But these days, it seems like most schools try to make their region a priority if it can be mined effectively. The Gators and Noles remind me of Texas and TAMU, sure they;ll whereever they need too but a sizable majority of those teams are floridians. If they can load up on more players without eating up the travel budget, as a coach I'd say "Why not?"

If Miami is gonna get hammered, I can't for the life of me see why big time South Floridian players would choose them. This is all predicated on how badly the NCAA stomps em, but if there is a BAD drop off, I don't see why big time players would want to stick around for that when you have two much better options upstate. Just my humble opinion.

When Alabama was sacntioned, where they taken off TV?

Old 08-19-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
When Alabama was sacntioned, where they taken off TV?
Never taken off TV. Never heard of any case like that.

Alabama has been hit with two probations by the NCAA. The recent one was between 2002-06 where they couldn't be in bowls for 2 years and scholorship reductions for a coach accepting booster money to encourage his recruit to Alabama. The other one is back in 1995 when a player signed with an agent secretly for the year he played which cause the Tide to forfeit practically a season, 1 year post season ban, and scholorships reductions. Didn't you notice it took a while for the Tide to come back... This was why.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:13 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,775,601 times
Sorry pal, that's history text to me.

I've only been in college football fandom since 2009. And not in a big way until last year.

According to my history books, Clemson was taken off TV in the 80s after some rule breaking up there.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Both schools for years have poached kids from South Florida. But at the same time both schools recruit NATIONALLY, bringing in top recruits from everywhere. The South Florida high school kids naturally want to go to Miami, same reason people still go to USC even during their rough times. I don't see that changing. The kids looking for big programs have been moving onwards for many years now since Miami's downfall. I don't much changing in the scheme of recruiting (outside loss of scholorships i.e. not able to take as many football players on).

No way anyone kicks out a program from a conference. Alabama spent many years in probation and were never kicked. USC currently is in and hasn't been kicked. No way Miami does.

Thug = a tough and violent man, esp a criminal (dictonary.com). Someone who gets arrested has a criminal record. Keeping players who commit crimes (multiple times, in the case of a couple players) is promoting "Thug Life". Seriously, you are in denial.

As for Miami, fully aware of their history. For many years (80s-early 00s), they carried a swagger i.e. what you call "Thug Life". Note it was mainly due to on-the-field antics (i.e. Fatigues, War Analogies, dancing in the end zone, etc), not off-the-field antics like Florida recently had. After the brawl in 2006, UM has been relatively quiet. Thanks to Randy Shannon implementing a zero tolerance policy. Grades went up, on/off the field problems went way down. We will see if Golden can keep it up. At the same time, you can hope Muschamp untarnishes UF's criminal image.
You sound very bitter. I'm guessing you are an fsu fan? They were nice and clean when they were winning their titles.................

Old 08-19-2011, 03:07 PM

292 posts, read 593,419 times
I always hear Florida and Florida State fans talk about how most Miami fans never went to the school. So do you have to go to that school to be a fan or a real fan? So if I moved to Miami would I be allowed to root for Miami and be a Miami fan? I will say this, if college football fans were only people "who went to the school", then college football would not be nearly as big as it is. Plus, Miami is a small private school located in a large city and what some would call a major city. Florida and Florida State are the opposite of Miami because they are both large state schools and both are located in much smaller cities. Also, I have heard many people say that the University of Miami is a way better school academically than UF and FSU which I would have to believe with UM being a small private school and with UM being much harder to get into. It seems like anyone can get into UF or FSU. So sure, I bet there are way more UF and FSU fans who "went to the school" unlike Miami fans.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
You sound very bitter. I'm guessing you are an fsu fan? They were nice and clean when they were winning their titles.................
Of course I am an FSU alum/fan.

Bitter on what... I enjoy the terrible snaps and Burton/Reed/Brantley who is going to call it combo. It is actually quite fun to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyFootballGuy
So do you have to go to that school to be a fan or a real fan? So if I moved to Miami would I be allowed to root for Miami and be a Miami fan?
Sure. People rag on Miami fans because they are the biggest bandwagoners known to man. The "they didn't go to the college" comes from the fact that the student body of Miami hardly ever go to the games. It extends beyond the Hurricanes. The Heat and the Marlins are other prime examples. They win people show up, they don't win and no one comes. Just like the Hurricanes.

Quote:
Also, I have heard many people say that the University of Miami is a way better school academically than UF and FSU which I would have to believe with UM being a small private school and with UM being much harder to get into.
Actually no. Miami is an alright college. Good for Medicine but not really good for anything else. Most go for post grad. UF is the top academic school in Florida. It is getting harder and harder to get in there without going JuCo first.

Quote:
So sure, I bet there are way more UF and FSU fans who "went to the school" unlike Miami fans.
You stated the fact of why it that. Miami is a small school and UF/FSU are big schools. Thus, more alumni.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:01 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,866,273 times
Quote:
Never taken off TV. Never heard of any case like that.
Now you have. OU was banned from TV for two years in the late 80's.

You need to brush up on your NCAA Football history youngster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football