U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 09:22 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,451,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Actually no. Miami is an alright college. Good for Medicine but not really good for anything else.
Miami is usually around a top 50 national university by any ranking you can find .... it's on the whole a very fine university across a broad spectrum ... let's not get carried away here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 09:36 PM

1,815 posts, read 1,762,332 times
Living in South Florida, I am really ticked off at the allegations, but not shocked-----rumors have been floating around here on talk shows for quite awhile regarding the allegations.

Miami is a good school----quality education and student body. The support of the athletic programs has not been good. Unless they are playing a powerhouse or are challenging for a national title, it is difficult getting more than 40,000 to games. UM basketball has never caught on, and even building a nice on campus arena, attendance is not good.

Regarding the allegations lets let this play out before passing sentencing. Some of the allegations are flagrant and really make you cringe------if they prove to be true Miami is in for some dog days.

I feel sorry for new football coach Golden and new basketball coach Larranaga----they both walked into the crosshairs, and I am sure neither was aware of this mess.

There is a lot of money riding on college football now----so my feeling is the death penalty might not be in play. However, the new ncaa president sounds greatly dismayed, and as a shot across the bow to other programs, a death penalty would send shudders across the country.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:31 AM

292 posts, read 592,206 times
Miami fans are not the best fans because Miami has lots of transplants, the weather is really nice most of the year which means people sometimes have better things to do then just watch sports unlike other boring uncool cities where people have no life and nothing else better to do, and Miami did not start becoming a big city until the early 80's when all that cocaine money caused the city to boom economically while the rest of the country was in a recession. Miami almost did not start getting popular until the tv show Miami Vice debuted in 1984 which started the South Beach craze. Before the early 1980's Miami was just a sleepy retirement community with a bunch of old people from the Northeast. So Miami is very different from most cities so that is why Miami fans are not like Boston fans for example. Miami is also like Los Angeles in that you have warm weather, beaches, and lots of hot women. So there is more going on then sports. People in Miami have other attractive options like boating, golfing, or fishing. In places like Cleveland they got nothing else better to do and they also are much older towns which gives them more tradition and also less transplants etc. So I can atleast understand why Miami fans are the way they are. There is clearly a logical and understandable explanation for it. Plus, every city has lots of frontrunners. Also, maybe Miami fans would rather spend their money wisely and not support a team that sucks. Why waste money on a crappy team? Better to save your money or spend it wisely on something else. In Miami that could mean more money to for putting gas in your boat for a nice sunny day of cruising around on the water. I don't blame people for not being loyal to sports teams. Who cares? Especially these days. Players only care about money and themselves so why should we be loyal to them? They don't care about us. Watch the movie "A Bronx Tale" to truly catch my drift on this. Anyway, I still got love for the Miami Hurricanes. Love them or hate them, "The U" is a very unique and special program unlike any other. The fact that so many people hate Miami means that they are special and have achieved enough success to cause people to have lots of hate for them. Nobody hates people programs that have never won.

Last edited by FantasyFootballGuy; 08-20-2011 at 12:48 AM..

Old 08-21-2011, 07:42 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,285,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyFootballGuy View Post
I always hear Florida and Florida State fans talk about how most Miami fans never went to the school. So do you have to go to that school to be a fan or a real fan? So if I moved to Miami would I be allowed to root for Miami and be a Miami fan? I will say this, if college football fans were only people "who went to the school", then college football would not be nearly as big as it is. Plus, Miami is a small private school located in a large city and what some would call a major city. Florida and Florida State are the opposite of Miami because they are both large state schools and both are located in much smaller cities. Also, I have heard many people say that the University of Miami is a way better school academically than UF and FSU which I would have to believe with UM being a small private school and with UM being much harder to get into. It seems like anyone can get into UF or FSU. So sure, I bet there are way more UF and FSU fans who "went to the school" unlike Miami fans.
UF and UM are ranked about the same academically so that theory doens't really work. There are less UM fans that went there because less kids are enrolled there. FSU is ranked much lower academically.

The problem with the UM fans that didn't go to school there is they are pretty low class. Just hit up youtube for some video. Ask any school in the state who the worst fans are that come to their stadium, it will be UM fans.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:51 PM

6,589 posts, read 6,836,312 times
It is not easy to get into UF...unless you're smart! My son was accepted to both and picked UF because you get as good an education for ALOT less money! He also had the good fortune of attending when they won the national championships in both basket ball and football!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football