Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 03:14 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
dont be so short sited.

We are not talking every single school... only the big boys. No football program in the SEC is losing money, i posted the profits of each of them last year. do i need to do that again?
The University of Texas is the richest program in the country. Football generated $93M of revenue in 2009, a bit over $1M per scholarship player but a bit less per player on roster (including ~ 20-30 walkons). Profit in 2009 was $68M for football. The other Big12 schools have far less revenue and profit:

Texas Leading Big 12 in Football Profits - Turfburner

Ohio State is probably the next closest school. There are a handful in that range but the vast majority of Div 1 schools have much less revenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 03:17 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
You still have to hear that? Most of the bandwagon Miami fans are gone these days now that they don't win. I would have guessed it's hard to find a Miami football fan these days.
yeah, they traded in for USC hats a while back. Now probably an SEC school.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:52 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,560,898 times
Quote:
No one feels sorry for athletes... The point is that uiversities make far more than 120K per athlete. More like a Million. Where are the perks for that other 900K?

And how about you make a company a million dollars and they give you 120K in perks instead of a salary and see you like it?
you've been handled thus far but I will say this. I could come up with a food ingredient that helps preserve food longer and the company could make alot more profit -- I may get a raise but I won't make all the profit from that, the company will.

if I invent a new computer code that streamlines efficiency I may get a pat on the back but all those labor hours saved aren't going directly into my checking account, it's profit for the company.

heck, "continuous improvement" is a buzz-phrase in business where they demand you come up with so many improvments, x amound under say $500 and x amount above 500 per Qtr. or month. Catch a computer bug in the system that's underpricing a product or component you sell and you might save your company thousands of dollars in fees but you ain't getting that into your bank account. But they ain't taking the difference and dropping into your account. They'll say "nice work freddy" and forget it when your review comes up.

and then there's the "intellectual property" part of business that says ideas, products created while you work for your employer stay with your employer and you can't take them with you when you go.

me thinks you have no idea how the business world really works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Not to mention the fact it's really difficult to eat a scholarship. The free ride is great, but they have no spending money. It easy to temp these people because they have zero in their pockets, and the change to get a new car and a paycheck is hard to resist.
When an athlete graduates, he is about 22, which means he or she is an immature child with no concept of real life.
but getting a free ride, free medical care, access to boosters with jobs, free athletic clothes should leave money for mac n' cheese , NO?

turn off e*pn!!!!!

Old 08-18-2011, 04:32 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,449,764 times
Quote:
Not really. Arrest happen at every school and it's nothing as serious as what Miami has done. They program PROMOTES the thug culture and is proud of it. Just watch the 30 for 30 documentary.
If it wasn't bad, you would have tons of articles/shows documenting every case under Meyer, where most schools have a case here or there. He kept 31 criminals on his team over the 5 years he coached there. Normally when a player commits a crime (or in the case of many ex-UF players mulitple crimes), depending on the level, they get kicked off a team. Under Meyer, they didn't. In fact, they would be lucky to even be suspended for more than a game or two. I don't know how that doesn't promote them to continue their "thug" life.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:35 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
If it wasn't bad, you would have tons of articles/shows documenting every case under Meyer, where most schools have a case here or there. He kept 31 criminals on his team over the 5 years he coached there. Normally when a player commits a crime (or in the case of many ex-UF players mulitple crimes), depending on the level, they get kicked off a team. Under Meyer, they didn't. In fact, they would be lucky to even be suspended for more than a game or two. I don't know how that doesn't promote them to continue their "thug" life.
That's what happens when you dominate college football, the media is all over you. You don't seem to have a good grasp of how the Miami program PUBLICLY portrayed it self. It's one thing to have a player arrested and it's a another for the program to endorse a thug culture.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:40 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,449,764 times
Quote:
That's what happens when you dominate college football, the media is all over you. You don't seem to have a good grasp of how the Miami program PUBLICLY portrayed it self. It's one thing to have a player arrested and it's a another for the program to endorse a thug culture.
Dominate... The offense mind of Dan Mullin and his pupil Tebow left and so did all your wins. Welcome to your dark ages

Florida Gators Offensive Circus - YouTube

Believe whatever you want to believe but both schools have portrayed it; Miami not as much these past couple years since the FIU game (2006). Florida, on the other hand, is still dealing with the effects of Meyer and the criminals he employed on his team. Hence, star CB Jenkins being cut for his senior season on marijuana charges; this was his fourth charge (one for misdemeanor for fighting and then resisting arrest by fleeing police, and three all for possession of marijuana). But I guess you should have already known that...

Think it only exist for football... it exist in your Basketball program too. Billy Donovon is just as much as crook. Two players (Erik Murphy and Cody Larson) arrested for breaking into someone's car this past April.

I am sure you are also aware of your Gator Swag song too...

What the hell is Foley doing but supporting/promoting "thug culture" with all these criminals at Florida...

Old 08-18-2011, 07:21 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times
Quote:
This will be the end of the NCAA. Every program in the country cheats, and it's impossible to stop, so they will form a new league and pay the players.
The NCAA is obsolete........
The NCAA is weak...they ***** themselves out to corporations for money. If they got a lot harder on teams that break the rules, people would think twice before breaking a rule.

Quote:
No one feels sorry for athletes... The point is that uiversities make far more than 120K per athlete. More like a Million. Where are the perks for that other 900K?

And how about you make a company a million dollars and they give you 120K in perks instead of a salary and see you like it?
A lot of the money is used on other sports and or research.

The players are STUDENT-athletes....

Once you pay one group, you will have to pay every group. Then there is the problem of value. All of this will require more money because programs won't want money taken away from their revenue which goes towards research and or other sports programs. Most importantly, it won't do anything about stopping illicit benefits because people are greedy.

Quote:
Not really. Arrest happen at every school and it's nothing as serious as what Miami has done. They program PROMOTES the thug culture and is proud of it. Just watch the 30 for 30 documentary.
Those are really good documentaries. The one on the U is my 2nd favorite one. The best one I saw was on Pablo Escobar and the Colombian soccer player that was shot.

Quote:
Not to mention the fact it's really difficult to eat a scholarship. The free ride is great, but they have no spending money. It easy to temp these people because they have zero in their pockets, and the change to get a new car and a paycheck is hard to resist.
When an athlete graduates, he is about 22, which means he or she is an immature child with no concept of real life.
I undertand why they do it, but it doesn't justify it.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:09 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,022,524 times
Getting away from soapboxes and back towards Miami.....

Naturally the Gators and Noles can only gain from what's going to happen. At the very least. scholarship reductions and a TV ban are what I see to be the most likely results. Some say something worse.

You could see a deemphasis of the sport at the school to an extent. If that happens, big time South Florida players are likely to only look at UF and FSU. Florida in particular has had a major gain in South Floridian students and alumni in the last 25 years, so it'll only help their presence there.

Naturally other schools will benefit, but the two big state schools will likely pounce.

If Miami is hammered and goes into a decade or more lull on the field, than that's one less problem Virginia will have to worry about. UNC could be added to that list (of diminished annoyances), but not because their sanctions will be as tough.

The Tar Heel Board of Trustees is not likely to go splashy or big money with the program from now on after this. They can still be successful (they have to in order to pay off all the beefing up of facilities) but likely not to the point that Davis was trying to build them towards.

I doubt The U gets kicked out of the ACC because it'll RUIN the recent TV contracts. Not to mention the drag on all the non football programs of Miami that would be put in a wasteland if we kicked them out.

It will hurt the ACC not having a strong Miami because it's a sexy program with NATIONAL appeal. But all the more opportunity for others to step into the spotlight.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:46 AM

291 posts, read 688,564 times
When Miami was good, they had more of an NFL feel to them then any other college program in the history of college football. There was nothing like the Canes at the Orange Bowl and there will never be anything like it ever again. For me it's like the late 90's New York Yankees teams at the old Yankee Stadium. Something special in history and there will never be anything like it again.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:03 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I thni its lookig more like aMaimi is the next SMU and it can in fact be doen under the rules.I thnik that there will be alot of non-sports university power aroud the country insisting on it of near as bad as written up.Especaily witht eh problem revealed ocerall i college football recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football