U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 01:34 PM

8,746 posts, read 7,366,583 times

Advertisements

Florida State, South Carolina, and Mississippi State are definitely on the rise. I would also add Texas A&M to the list. They are loaded with talent and are very balanced on offense. The Aggies have fallen short in prior years with talented players but I think they will have more confidence now coming off a winning season last year. If they have another good year this year they have the potential to rise even further IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 01:52 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,801,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Also the whole "gotta have your own stadium" is semantics to me. If you are a good program it doesn't matter where you play. I don't think UCLA cared about not having their own place when they were rocking under Terry Donahue.
Far from semantics. Go East to find UCF in Orlando. They used to play out at the Citrus Bowl and there weren't anyone there, even during Dante Culpepper days. I know as I used to attend games when I was in High School (parents are alum). They moved into a stadium on campus last year and guess what... Attendance went drastically up. , I know.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:07 PM

5,507 posts, read 8,838,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Far from semantics. Go East to find UCF in Orlando. They used to play out at the Citrus Bowl and there weren't anyone there, even during Dante Culpepper days. I know as I used to attend games when I was in High School (parents are alum). They moved into a stadium on campus last year and guess what... Attendance went drastically up. , I know.
Right. USF needs to worry about UCF jumping into a bigger conference and passing them by. Cut off alcohol sales and you won't see many people showing up for USF games.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:11 AM

4,430 posts, read 3,572,829 times
South Florida IS on the rise, has been for a few years now. It is easy to recruit players who want to come to Florida and although many of the players are ones who Miami and Florida passed on, under the strong coaching these kids are turning out to be outstanding players.

I am impressed with what TCU has done. They were once the perineal cellar dwellers of the SWC, over the past few years, the right coaching program has garnered the right recruits and developed a strong program. I think that the move to the Big East will be great for them as well.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:26 AM

977 posts, read 1,454,475 times
Stanford. Great recruiting classes last few years should translate to still being Top 25 even without Luck.

Georgia for 2011 and 2012 b/c of Aaron Murray.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:29 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,570,749 times
Teams on the rise:
Pittsburgh, South Carolina, Notre Dame...

Soon to be team on the rise...
UTSA. (Seriously)

Old 08-23-2011, 12:53 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,006,227 times
USF has a good program building but what worries me is all the expansion talk. Once the snowball starts rolling, there doesn't seem to be any talk about USF being welcome anywhere..not the SEC, ACC, B10. Thats going to be rough once the super-conferences start taking over.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:31 PM

5,507 posts, read 8,838,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
USF has a good program building but what worries me is all the expansion talk. Once the snowball starts rolling, there doesn't seem to be any talk about USF being welcome anywhere..not the SEC, ACC, B10. Thats going to be rough once the super-conferences start taking over.
Many of the players they take can't qualify other places. This is one way they have "built" the program.

USF doesn't offer much to bigger conferences. It's not a new market and the fan base is small.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:18 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,006,227 times
alot of programs take guys who 'can't qualify' other places, if you want to look into it. check out some big time schools 'preferred walk-on' roster, its an easy way to get these kids on campus and into some basket weaving classes to qualify for the next year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football