U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2011, 09:41 AM

3,458 posts, read 3,117,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
What is the problem with making side money though?
it's not "side money," it's money at the front-and-center of what a conference does. The longhorn network is an obstacle to the Big 12 having a conference-wide TV deal, like the SEC has.

Texas has helped build a "weak conference" model, where they work to undermine the Big 12's strength. They believe they're bigger and better than everyone else in their conference, so they might as well be independent like Notre Dame. This stands in contrast to stronger, better conferences like the SEC, where revenues are distributed evenly, and the historically weaker conference teams like Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Arkansas, or South Carolina are given a better shot to develop their athletic programs.

The big 12 is "ruled" by Texas, because all of the little peon schools like Kansas State and Iowa State and Baylor are afraid of Texas leaving. A&M and Oklahoma and Oklahoma State aren't little peon schools; therefore it makes sense for them to be in a conference like the SEC or Pac-12, where the conference structure exists to benefit all members equally. Colorado and Nebraska knew this, too.

This is why I say -- it will be interesting to see how "big and bad" Texas really is, whether their refusal to share equitably with conference members will leave them out in the cold, or whether they will capitulate on this idea that they are "special", or what.

Last edited by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus; 09-14-2011 at 10:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 12:09 PM

5,416 posts, read 7,722,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
What is the problem with making side money though? It isn't like the side money is going towards athletics...

If OU receives a grant, should they have to share it with UT? Lets not be silly. This whole thing is really about jealousy... if these other schools want a tv network, go get one...
More than anything Cyclone, the Sooners have made it clear that the main issue is instability in the conference.....Little Brother A&M couldn't handle it anymore and broke the deal and they're doing what they believe is best for their university/athletic programs in the long run. I don't agree with 'em but it's already settled.

If A&M is still here so would OU....but now, 2 (Nebraska/A&M) of the Big 4 (Nebraska/A&M/Texas/OU) are gone because of the instability of the conference....no need to prolong the inevitable.

At this point it looks like there is nothing that the Horns' administration/brass can do to keep OU from leaving. IMO, this is very sad, bad for college football, but inevitable apparently.

If Tejas doesn't wiseup and renegotiate the LHN and how that will fit within the PAC12, they're gonna be left out and they'll be forced to either piece together a VERY weak Big 12 or go to the ACC, which is ludicrous in my view.

Horns, your best bet is to follow the Crimson&Cream Train...out of the Southwest to the Far West. Doesn't look like Tejas will concede anytime soon. Real shame for the traditions, rivalries, culture, programs, fans....pretty much everything.

I thought this was a great article explaining the future tenuous nature of the Big 12 when it was formed as a result of not finding a way to keeping the Razorbacks within their natural geographic region of the South-Central/Southwest. Could be a whole different story and more balance of power if we had Arkansas in the Big 12. Check it here: http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2...hout-a-league/

Old 09-14-2011, 12:28 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,576,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
it's not "side money," it's money at the front-and-center of what a conference does. The longhorn network is an obstacle to the Big 12 having a conference-wide TV deal, like the SEC has.

Texas has helped build a "weak conference" model, where they work to undermine the Big 12's strength. They believe they're bigger and better than everyone else in their conference, so they might as well be independent like Notre Dame. This stands in contrast to stronger, better conferences like the SEC, where revenues are distributed evenly, and the historically weaker conference teams like Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Arkansas, or South Carolina are given a better shot to develop their athletic programs.

The big 12 is "ruled" by Texas, because all of the little peon schools like Kansas State and Iowa State and Baylor are afraid of Texas leaving. A&M and Oklahoma and Oklahoma State aren't little peon schools; therefore it makes sense for them to be in a conference like the SEC or Pac-12, where the conference structure exists to benefit all members equally. Colorado and Nebraska knew this, too.

This is why I say -- it will be interesting to see how "big and bad" Texas really is, whether their refusal to share equitably with conference members will leave them out in the cold, or whether they will capitulate on this idea that they are "special", or what.
I agree. Believe it or not - as an A&M fan I can set aside most of the current issues related to the LHN. If we take a big picture view of college sports and what they are supposed to be - the increasing amounts of money spent by the "haves" has the strong potential to destroy what college sports should be.

It is so easy for the "haves" to say they should be able to take advantage of all the opportunities they have. But this isn't major league baseball. Pro sports have salary caps to try to ensure some level of reasonable competition across the league. But the NCAA does nothing really to stop the arms race. Most of this is happening through football. And the "have nots" have to spend a huge portion of their overall budget to try to compete on the football field. That leaves little money to spend on other sports.

It is sad to see. As a parent of college age kids - I love seeing other sports played in college. Women's sports. Olympic sports. And I hate how commercialized football has become. Scopro already mentioned how much he hates the advertising on the "godzillatron" at UT. I was there last fall and it is awful. The amount of advertising is obscene. I'd swear every sq. ft of the stadium is rentable. Other schools will do the same thing in an effort to scrape up a few more dollars for their budgets.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:31 PM

3,458 posts, read 3,117,215 times
the money in college football doesn't bother me. i don't have a real clear idea of what college football is "supposed" to be. I like the chaotic system where schools are autonomous, and where the NCAA is weak.

i like how one school is able to undermine a regional rival, or not, and i like how the consequences of doing so are not always clear.. they often backfire. Texas's choices are a reflection of its fans, its alumni, it's "people", and the fact that Texas is able to make these choices in the first place it is what makes college football great.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:53 PM

8,406 posts, read 8,400,887 times
I wonder if A&M is aware that lots of schools, even those in the SEC, have been selling their 3rd tier rights for years without having to share the revenue with their conference breatheren?

School-Specific Broadcasting Revenue

But Texas fans do find it amazing that A&M complained loudly about the LHN only after the $300 million contract was signed. A&M was approached twice about sharing a "Lone Star" network with Texas, but spurned the offer both times because they thought it wouldn't fly. Sounds a lot like sour grapes, IMO.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Add BYU?

That's the only "lateral" move I can see working. But I've already heard reports on talk radio that BYU is not interested.

Talk of adding TCU/Boise St./Louisville/SMU/Houston/etc. is all a MAJOR downgrade. (I would be for starting a South-Central Conference just with Oklahoma and Texas teams as I have laid out in other threads.) Nothing against these schools but BYU (and no, Notre Dame won't come play Oklahoma/Texas every year) is the only school that has enough cred/history/money and influence in all sports to hang.

End of the Big 12 if they can't get BYU? And the only way OU is going to the PACWhatever is if Oklahoma State, Tech, AND Texas are along for the ride.

OU to the SEC? Sounds most plausible to me based on geography/culture, but the Sooners already turned down the SEC last summer and we'll have to deal with the Aggies (*barf*) again.

Your thoughts....
Great article: College Football Never Changes -- The REAL Realignment Story

Old 09-18-2011, 02:39 PM

3,964 posts, read 2,517,644 times
Now what...? Apparently Pitt and Syracuse joining the ACC...

Old 09-18-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Yeh, I think that points to Texas and Texas Tech going to the ACC together. Real shame, I would hate to see the last remaining Southwestern teams (OU/OK State/Tech/Tejas) separated.

At this point, the Horns can do whatever the heck they want to, but I would rather keep Tech with the Sooners/Cowboys going West.

Probably a pipe dream that Tejas/Tech would separate, but A&M's willingness to separate from UT is quite telling, so I don't know? Maybe OU has a shot of taking Tech with 'em too if the Texas Tech legislators finally realize UT's myopic and parasitic ways?

Nobody wants Bevo....or maybe it is just Deloss Dodds that everyone is absolutely fed up with. Poor Bevo the Longhorn gets a bad rap because of all those crummy individuals around him.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:57 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,949,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Though I am not a fan at all of expansion beyond 12... At least this move helps brings our conference back to basketball dominance.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:04 PM

8,566 posts, read 9,682,292 times
Texas Longhorns: Football, Basketball, Baseball and more | Statesman.com

New info from the Statesman posted at 2:10 p.m. today...
Quote:
The Pac-12 appears to be working out the final details of a deal that would bring Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech to the conference, sources close to the situation told Hookem.com and the American-Statesman on Sunday morning.

Nothing has been accepted or approved, yet, but the deal would allow the Longhorns to keep the Longhorn Network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football