U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-19-2011, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Lake Arlington Heights, IL
5,481 posts, read 10,422,093 times
Reputation: 2794

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Texas Longhorns: Football, Basketball, Baseball and more | Statesman.com

New info from the Statesman posted at 2:10 p.m. today...
Further cementing the "californication" of Austin Tx.

Texas fans, would you rather join Pac 12, or if invites were offered, the SEC, ACC or B1G10?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-19-2011, 02:12 PM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,419,007 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Texas fans, would you rather join Pac 12, or if invites were offered, the SEC, ACC or B1G10?

Great question... I'm curious to know what the actual fans think too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2011, 03:14 PM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,861,014 times
Reputation: 1825
OU's Board of Regents have given President Boren permission to move conferences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2011, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
2,092 posts, read 3,022,778 times
Reputation: 869
Sounds like Texas just may not have the 9 votes needed to join the Pac at this time. If true, you can bet that 3 of the following schools are the ones not liking this- Colorado (certainly), Utah, the Arizona schools, USC, and possibly, Oregon.

I think the conference needs to be a zipper alignment. We'll see though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2011, 06:12 PM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,861,014 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post

I think the conference needs to be a zipper alignment. We'll see though.
I've been hearing alot about the "pod system". Whats a zipper alignment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2011, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
2,092 posts, read 3,022,778 times
Reputation: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
I've been hearing alot about the "pod system". Whats a zipper alignment?
A zipper system is where you and your natural rival are in separate divisions. You play your division rivals and two other teams (one being you major rival for sure) from the other divisions. So, OU would play everyone in their division plus OSU and another team. It will allow schools to either play in both California and Texas each year or at least be able to tell recruits they will be back in Texas/California every other year at the very least- possibly twice a year. Below is an example. I can't remember if this was the zipper many Oregon fans seemed to agree was a reasonable set up last year.

West
Washington
Oregon State
Stanford
USC
Arizona State
Texas Tech
Oklahoma
Utah

East
Washington State
Oregon
Cal
UCLA
Arizona
Oklahoma State
Texas
Colorado

I know a ton of Ducks are worried that the Northwest schools will be put into a Northern Divison and will not get access to Cali or Texas on a regular basis like they have been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2011, 06:41 PM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,419,007 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
I know a ton of Ducks are worried that the Northwest schools will be put into a Northern Divison and will not get access to Cali or Texas on a regular basis like they have been.

Wouldnt wanna mess up their cheating recruitment racket they got going on in Texas...

i kid i kid... but just a little...


Duck season

If you missed the news that Oregon received its NCAA Letter of Inquiry (apparently by phone) in the Willie Lyles saga ... well, that's exactly what the school intended. As the Oregonian's Rachel Bachman noted, Oregon strategically planted the release "after the airing of ... GameDay, and well into a day crowded with games," even though it got the call several days earlier.
The LOI is a formality in an NCAA investigation, though it almost certainly guarantees that the more serious Notice of Allegations is forthcoming. It remains to be seen what those allegations will be regarding the infamous $25,000 payment to purported talent scout/mentor Lyles. But amid the ongoing investigation, school president Richard Lariviere offered a notably strong endorsement of Chip Kelly.
"Chip's job is quite safe," Lariviere said Saturday. "We've cooperated with the NCAA very extensively and looked at this really, really carefully internally, and I have very high confidence in this group of people. Very high confidence."

Taken from this article on si.com: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ignment/2.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2011, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
2,092 posts, read 3,022,778 times
Reputation: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Wouldnt wanna mess up their cheating recruitment racket they got going on in Texas...

i kid i kid... but just a little...


Duck season

If you missed the news that Oregon received its NCAA Letter of Inquiry (apparently by phone) in the Willie Lyles saga ... well, that's exactly what the school intended. As the Oregonian's Rachel Bachman noted, Oregon strategically planted the release "after the airing of ... GameDay, and well into a day crowded with games," even though it got the call several days earlier.
The LOI is a formality in an NCAA investigation, though it almost certainly guarantees that the more serious Notice of Allegations is forthcoming. It remains to be seen what those allegations will be regarding the infamous $25,000 payment to purported talent scout/mentor Lyles. But amid the ongoing investigation, school president Richard Lariviere offered a notably strong endorsement of Chip Kelly.
"Chip's job is quite safe," Lariviere said Saturday. "We've cooperated with the NCAA very extensively and looked at this really, really carefully internally, and I have very high confidence in this group of people. Very high confidence."

Taken from this article on si.com: Oklahoma,*LSU*winning with defense; conference realignment update - Stewart Mandel - SI.com
Haha! Come talk to me if Oregon gets hit with major violations. I've said it from the start, from the sources I've spoken to higher in the Oregon program, we will get, at most, a sore wrist. I guess we'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2011, 06:58 PM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,419,007 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Haha! Come talk to me if Oregon gets hit with major violations. I've said it from the start, from the sources I've spoken to higher in the Oregon program, we will get, at most, a sore wrist. I guess we'll see.

Im just messing with you... I dont really care if they cheated or not. It's a non issue. Has nothing to do with what happens on the field. I hate the NCAA. I want the Super Conferences to form just so the big pgms leave the NCAA and BCS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2011, 07:21 PM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,861,014 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
A zipper system is where you and your natural rival are in separate divisions. You play your division rivals and two other teams (one being you major rival for sure) from the other divisions. So, OU would play everyone in their division plus OSU and another team. It will allow schools to either play in both California and Texas each year or at least be able to tell recruits they will be back in Texas/California every other year at the very least- possibly twice a year. Below is an example. I can't remember if this was the zipper many Oregon fans seemed to agree was a reasonable set up last year.

West
Washington
Oregon State
Stanford
USC
Arizona State
Texas Tech
Oklahoma
Utah

East
Washington State
Oregon
Cal
UCLA
Arizona
Oklahoma State
Texas
Colorado

I know a ton of Ducks are worried that the Northwest schools will be put into a Northern Divison and will not get access to Cali or Texas on a regular basis like they have been.
That looks better (and a heck of alot less complicated) than the 4 pod system I've been seeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top