U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 07:07 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,772,344 times

Advertisements

.......Erm that's subjective.

What timeline are you using here? 90s? 2000s?

Since the 90s, OSU, Michigan, Penn St., Wisky and Iowa have all been nationally relevant teams, often at the same time! Nebraska in addition to that is not that much weaker than the SEC at all.

With the Big XII it depends. It is the Texas and Oklahoma show really. After that it all depends on what you thought about KSU under Snyder, Mizzou now under Pinkel and Texas Tech under Mike Leach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 07:09 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,818,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
Why didn't they join the B1G in the first place?

They couldn't win in the Big 12 so they went to the B1G. Nothing wrong with that. Get in where you fit in. A weaker Football conference.
Well anyone with a shred of knowledge about CFB will tell you that the B1G Ten is a better conference to be in than the Big 12.

And Nebraska had talks with the B1G back when the Big 12 formed, but the B1G Ten wasn't ready to expand back then.

Anyways who would ditch the Big 12 North if the decision was about a weaker schedule?

Old 09-20-2011, 07:15 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,857,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
Well anyone with a shred of knowledge about CFB will tell you that the B1G Ten is a better conference to be in than the Big 12.
Historically, sure, if your goal is to play in the Rose Bowl Game rather than the BCS NCG.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:21 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,818,121 times
Quote:
Historically, sure, if your goal is to play in the Rose Bowl Game rather than the BCS NCG.
There wont be a BCS NCG soon.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:57 PM

8,403 posts, read 8,393,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
It has much more to do with the LHN. The league could of survived with 10 teams.

Anyways even if Nebraska was the cause of the sinking. It is hardly taking your ball and going home to move to a better academic conference that offers more athletic money every year and far more stability historically, the Big 12 is only 15 years old after all.

It sounds to me like Nebraska took their ball and went to their new rich adoption parents house and left their dead beat teen parents behind.(If were going to do childhood analogies).
The LHN didn't exist when Nebraska announced they were leaving the Big 12.

And I find it amusing that Corn & aggy blame UT for being greedy, yet they are running away to get more money. Face it - CU & the Huskers destabilized the Big 12 last year.

Sounds like Nebraska, the only school ever expelled from the AAU, really boosted the B1G academics. Congratulations.

Fact is, Nebraska resented Texas during the formation of the Big 12 when UT insisted no more partial qualifiers for athletics (especially football). That, and Osborne's retirement messed up your sweet ride.
Back in 1996 Nebraska was the Big Dog, so y'all had no problem (along with A&M) voting for the uneven revenue distribution. It's not UT's fault the Huskers went downhill. UT only had one vote out of 12.

But at least you have a shot at the B1G title if you can get by the Badgers. Good luck.

Last edited by ScoPro; 09-20-2011 at 08:09 PM..

Old 09-20-2011, 08:01 PM

191 posts, read 242,717 times
Quote:
News flash. It wasn't sinking until UNL left. It was a top 3 football conference before they decided to take their ball and go home.
As iamjacobm said, the Big XII could of have survived with just 10. If anything is becoming more apparent by the day, its the issue of the Longhorn Network and utter incompetence by the commissioner that will likely sink the Big XII. As I said, I don't really have a beef with Texas because they are seeking the best interests for themselves like any university should. But you really can't expect all other universities to simply agree and take no action. Nebraska first saw the light, then A&M, and now Oklahoma. It doesn't really help when commissioner Beebe is doing little to keep the Big XII in tact, which is why OU is calling for his head now if they are to remain in the Big XII. They also demanding the modifications on the current Longhorn Network.

Stability was never there like the other conferences. Big XII land was always going to be a target of poaching by other conferences. The Big 10 had always wanted to find a 12th member likely from the Big XII or Notre Dame. Texas and Missouri have always been on the Big 10 target list. A&M has always been linked with the SEC while the Pacific Conference was ready to go into expansion mode. Conference realignment was always going to happen soon imo. Nebraska was just proactive and got into a stable conference before they could be possibly left out if any of the above scenarios happens. Other reasons for Nebraska leaving would be money and academics which would lead to more access to research money through the CIC. It really was a no-brainer decision for them regardless of perceived jealously or inferiority complex.

I think what has happened in the month vindicates Nebraska's decision to switch conferences. Comments from Coach Pinkel, impending lawsuits from each school, A&M's recent actions, University regents approval of realignment, and a bunch of other reasons reflect that.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:24 PM

191 posts, read 242,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
The LHN didn't exist when Nebraska announced they were leaving the Big 12.

And I find it amusing that Corn & agggy blame UT for being greedy, yet they are running away to get more money. Face it - CU & the Huskers destabilized the Big 12 last year.

Sounds like Nebraska, the only school ever expelled from the AAU, really boosted the B1G academics. Congratulations.
Come on, everyone knew the Longhorn Network was going to happen. Texas isn't exactly off the hook here. Everyone in the Big XII has some share to blame for its current state. Everybody was looking out for themselves, and it was Beebe's job to accommodate all universities. Its obvious he did a ****ty job, otherwise we wouldn't have this mess. Let's face it, no one is happy with the Longhorn Network otherwise every conference would welcome Texas with open arms right now, while the Aggies wouldn't bolt, and Oklahoma wouldn't be demanding modifications right now.

Word has it (no confirmation, just rumor), that the Pac12 aren't open to the idea of more expansion. Apparently Oregon, both Washington schools, one of the Arizona schools, Utah, and Colorado won't approve expansion. I think they need 9 schools to approve membership of another university. I wonder what would happen if that's true.

Anyways, if Texas or Oklahoma make it to the Pac? Conference, I look forward to a future Rose Bowl match up despite are horrible recent record head-to-head.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:13 AM

8,403 posts, read 8,393,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlady Z View Post
Come on, everyone knew the Longhorn Network was going to happen. Texas isn't exactly off the hook here. Everyone in the Big XII has some share to blame for its current state. Everybody was looking out for themselves, and it was Beebe's job to accommodate all universities. Its obvious he did a ****ty job, otherwise we wouldn't have this mess. Let's face it, no one is happy with the Longhorn Network otherwise every conference would welcome Texas with open arms right now, while the Aggies wouldn't bolt, and Oklahoma wouldn't be demanding modifications right now.

Word has it (no confirmation, just rumor), that the Pac12 aren't open to the idea of more expansion. Apparently Oregon, both Washington schools, one of the Arizona schools, Utah, and Colorado won't approve expansion. I think they need 9 schools to approve membership of another university. I wonder what would happen if that's true.

Anyways, if Texas or Oklahoma make it to the Pac? Conference, I look forward to a future Rose Bowl match up despite are horrible recent record head-to-head.
Seriously, why do the aggys continue to deny the fact that they were given an opportunity to join Texas in forming a Lone Star network?

Why do they and Nebraska continue to ignore the fact that they voted for the uneven revenue distributions in the first place?

Why are there no complaints about Kansas & others selling their Tier 3 rights for millions and not sharing it? Does A&M realize Florida has it's own TV network it doesn't share?

Who is stopping OU from forming their own Grapes of Wrath network? A&M with theirs?

Face it - When those tunnelvision programs saw how much $$$ Texas got for marketing it's brand, they were shocked and instantly developed a massive case of envy. And now OU is demanding a cut of all UT's hard work and UT's brand?
Good lawd, how petulant they can be!

And to reiterate - UT has only ONE vote in the Big 12-2.

As far as Beebe goes:

Quote:
I hope we point out that Dan Beebe was hired as commissioner in the first place BECAUSE OF OKLAHOMA. We supported Jack Swarbrick but the conference hired Beebe against our wishes.

Basically they're admitting we were right.

Again.

Last edited by ScoPro; 09-21-2011 at 08:33 AM..

Old 09-21-2011, 10:43 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,383,290 times
So now it looks like they're going to try to keep it together, make one last attempt to get A&M to stay, and then go for BYU if A&M says no. Guessing it's because the Pac-12 said they're sticking to 12 teams?

I live in California and the comments I'm seeing online mostly say the Pac is making a mistake in not expanding and is risking being left behind.

Still, each year the Big 12 seems to push a little closer to the brink, and I'm guessing they'll be gone in five years max.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:16 AM

5,414 posts, read 7,718,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
So now it looks like they're going to try to keep it together, make one last attempt to get A&M to stay, and then go for BYU if A&M says no. Guessing it's because the Pac-12 said they're sticking to 12 teams?

I live in California and the comments I'm seeing online mostly say the Pac is making a mistake in not expanding and is risking being left behind.

Still, each year the Big 12 seems to push a little closer to the brink, and I'm guessing they'll be gone in five years max.

Can't believe the Big 12 made it out this time! I'm glad the Big 12 is staying together....I'm a Southwestern Boy (Oklahoma/Texas) so I, for one, was not for the move to the Far West.

A few thoughts...
1) Larry Scott was dishonest with Boren (Scott had made it clear that OU/Oklahoma State would have been accepted with or without Tejas...that was wrong.) Texas was NEVER going to make the drastic revenue sharing changes the PAC would have required. I never bought the POD system with OU/OSU/Tech/Tejas. I did, as Boren appeared to assert, think that OU/OSU would be free to go to the PAC even after Tejas was turned down. Somewhere in the conversations it was leaked to Tejas (from the PAC?) that OU/OSU would not go to the PAC12 without Tejas. Tejas got the inside info on that front. Apparently, the PAC didn't want to share it's new TV deal with OU/OSU. Boren should have gotten all of Larry Scott's guarantees in writing before opening his trap. In other words, OU/Boren got played by the PAC (not Tejas, mind you).

2) The only card Boren has left to play as leverage is to threaten to go to the SEC with A&M, and the SEC would love to have OU, of course. That may mean that Oklahoma State gets left in the dust.

3) It is possible that Boren is crazy like a fox and wanted to STAY in the Big 12 all along. All this posturing and "we're not going to be a wallflower" business could have been double-speak to simply try to get make the Shorthorns to make some concessions to the LHN and the firing of commissioner of Beebe. This would seem a really silly and LONG drawn-out way of getting Tejas to move and budge some on its LHN.

4) I don't think there is any more stability now in the Big 12 than 2 months ago. So, we'll continue to have all these discussions for years to come. I think there are more unknowns now with the Big 12. The job of all of this realignment is to answer questions, but now I think there are many more questions than answers.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 09-21-2011 at 11:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football