U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 10:50 PM

5,413 posts, read 7,711,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Well, it looks like you might get your wish - I hear the old Big 8 commish is being pushed to replace Beebe.

I wonder if Darth Dodds can turn him to the Dark (Burnt Orange) Side?
Looks like Boren took about 3 days to get done some essentials that Beebe couldn't take care of in several years:

Big 12 presidents pledge to grant television rights, revenue to conference, according to Oklahoma president David Boren - ESPN

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 09-22-2011 at 11:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 08:02 AM

8,385 posts, read 8,379,009 times
Picking college football realignment's winners and losers

Quote:
Losers
Oklahoma.
The Sooners have the most egg on their face of anybody in the country, and you could probably fry an egg on the faces of some OU regents. Boren got on his soapbox, preached that OU is nobody's "wallflower," and made demands to Texas for continued Big 12 membership — only to have the Pac-12 rebuff Oklahoma's interest and Texas scoff at those concessions. No word yet on whether OU is changing its nickname to the Oklahoma Wallflowers.
OU, along with Oklahoma State, should have applied for Pac-12 membership the day after its clandestine meeting in Norman with Texas officials. It probably would have been accepted, thus killing the Big 12 and forcing Texas' hand. Scott wisely wavered when Texas balked and OU started getting wishy-washy, although many in the OU camp still very much wanted to go West. "We've been approached by OU forever," a source said. "They reached out to us before the ink was dry last summer."
Texas will not relinquish the LHN revenue, nor will other schools such as Kansas give up their 3rd tier rights either (Kansas has been getting $7 million/year and nobody objected before). The LHN is UT's brand and did all the work to set it up after sharing it was rejected previously, so OU should start their own network - they are free to do so.

OU has no leverage there.

Here's the list of schools with non-shared 3rd tier revenue:

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2...sting-revenue/

Last edited by ScoPro; 09-23-2011 at 08:22 AM..

Old 09-23-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Picking college football realignment's winners and losers

Texas will not relinquish the LHN revenue, nor will other schools such as Kansas give up their 3rd tier rights either (Kansas has been getting $7 million/year and nobody objected before). The LHN is UT's brand and did all the work to set it up after sharing it was rejected previously, so OU should start their own network - they are free to do so.

OU has no leverage there.

Here's the list of schools with non-shared 3rd tier revenue:

School-Specific Broadcasting Revenue
"Egg on face"...."wallflower".....just rhetoric and nothing more.

OU's power play was to remove Beebe. That's what Boren wanted and he got 2 days later. The tier 3 stuff is a misnomer. The concessions for the LHN (1) no high school highlights [I can't believe hardly anyone is calling out ESPN's deception in all this] (2) no Big 12 games on the LHN [the Big 12 Conference belongs to all of the members/programs so why should Tejas benefit ALONE from showing games under the Big 12 Brand?]. This is what Boren is calling for will be voted on and agreed upon in the near future. Hence, the LHN is more of a recruiting issue, not just financial.

What we've learned after Tuesday is that Stoops had a lot more say than originally perceived (in spite of the Board of Regents' power-myth) and he wanted to stay in the Big 12. Stoops has won 7 Big 12 Championships, Tejas has won 3. I think Stoops and Constiglione were the cooler heads that prevailed and just saw OU's outright dominance (sorry Horns) of the Big 12 on the field and it would be beyond ludicrous to give up that dominance (also say and leveraging power) with a move West.

Quite honestly, I believe the fans of the Southwest/South-Central win out in this regard.......at least for the time being. We get to keep our league and our traditions....unfortunately without Nebraska and most likely without the Aggies.

Losing A&M was/is a MASSIVE blow. Same and moreso with Nebraska. Any Horn fan that thinks otherwise has been hitting that crack-pipe too much. As the only university with the clout to stand up and say "Enough!", Boren & Co. should have done ALL of this BEFORE Nebraska was even thinking about leaving. The Big 12 will never be as strong as it once was....losing a mega-program like Nebraska (only exceeded by the Sooners in tradition) just was a huge hit to the Big 12's strength. And now A&m....the Big 12 Conference is a shell of its former self. Just the way it is no matter how much spin is thrown out there.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 09-23-2011 at 11:20 AM..

Old 09-23-2011, 11:47 AM

8,746 posts, read 7,741,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
"Egg on face"...."wallflower".....just rhetoric and nothing more.

OU's power play was to remove Beebe. That's what Boren wanted and he got 2 days later. The tier 3 stuff is a misnomer. The concessions for the LHN (1) no high school highlights [I can't believe hardly anyone is calling out ESPN's deception in all this] (2) no Big 12 games on the LHN [the Big 12 Conference belongs to all of the members/programs so why should Tejas benefit ALONE from showing games under the Big 12 Brand?]. This is what Boren is calling for will be voted on and agreed upon in the near future. Hence, the LHN is more of a recruiting issue, not just financial.

What we've learned after Tuesday is that Stoops had a lot more say than originally perceived (in spite of the Board of Regents' power-myth) and he wanted to stay in the Big 12. Stoops has won 7 Big 12 Championships, Tejas has won 3. I think Stoops and Constiglione were the cooler heads that prevailed and just saw OU's outright dominance (sorry Horns) of the Big 12 on the field and it would be beyond ludicrous to give up that dominance (also say and leveraging power) with a move West.

Quite honestly, I believe the fans of the Southwest/South-Central win out in this regard.......at least for the time being. We get to keep our league and our traditions....unfortunately without Nebraska and most likely without the Aggies.

Losing A&M was/is a MASSIVE blow. Same and moreso with Nebraska. Any Horn fan that thinks otherwise has been hitting that crack-pipe too much. As the only university with the clout to stand up and say "Enough!", Boren & Co. should have done ALL of this BEFORE Nebraska was even thinking about leaving. The Big 12 will never be as strong as it once was....losing a mega-program like Nebraska (only exceeded by the Sooners in tradition) just was a huge hit to the Big 12's strength. And now A&m....the Big 12 Conference is a shell of its former self. Just the way it is no matter how much spin is thrown out there.
I agree Bass & Catfish! I've been impressed with OU president Boren's leadership this week. Like you said above in a previous post, he's been able to accomplish more to improve stability in this conference in a few days than Beebe did in his entire tenure. Unfortunately, I think you're right about the strength of the conference, it's definitely nowhere near as strong as it used to be. Nebraska leaving was a huge blow and A&M's upcoming departure will be another huge loss. The Big 12 may find a decent team to replace A&M but it won't be the same.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:22 PM

Beebe was already on his way out because he was caught again napping on the defections and not preparing for a conference network. So Beebe is a red herring excuse being peddled north of the Red, as is the "equal" Tier 1 & 2 revenue sharing issue, because Texas was already willing to compromise on that with the other B12 schools. And the LHN is a non-issue, as OU is presently working to establish it's own network....plus the other schools like Kansas aren't going to give up their 3rd tier rights to anybody.
And the high school game thing is also a non-issue, as the NCAA already ruled on that in the summer.

Again, the noises he made were highly embarassing for OU when the PAC decided not to expand because of the issues with Texas refusal to compromise over the LHN. Y'all weren't getting in without UT, which has been the PAC's primary target, any everbody knew it. Boren unnecessarly strained it's administrative relations with UT in order to appear to be the catalyst for change. He certainly overplayed his hand in public.

Texas didn't care at all, as it's primary choice has always been to preserve the Big XII first. That has been stated publically numerous times over the past year and several times in the last few weeks. Both Stoops and Brown have played it smarter than Bowen.

But I agree the B12 won't find equal replacements for Nebraska & A&M and it'll be a 2nd rate conference until the final shuffle comes about.....hopefully anytime in the near future.

Last edited by ScoPro; 09-23-2011 at 02:34 PM..

Old 09-23-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Beebe was already on his way out because he was caught again napping on the defections and not preparing for a conference network. So Beebe is a red herring excuse being peddled north of the Red, as is the "equal" Tier 1 & 2 revenue sharing issue, because Texas was already willing to compromise on that with the other B12 schools. And the LHN is a non-issue, as OU is presently working to establish it's own network....plus the other schools like Kansas aren't going to give up their 3rd tier rights to anybody.

Again, the noises he made were highly embarassing for OU when the PAC decided not to expand because of the issues with Texas refusal to compromise over the LHN. Y'all weren't getting in without UT, which has been the PAC's primary target, any everbody knew it. Boren unnecessarly strained it's administrative relations with UT in order to appear to be the catalyst for change.

Texas didn't care at all, as it's primary choice has always been to preserve the Big XII first. That has been stated publically numerous times over the past year and several times in the last few weeks. Both Stoops and Brown have played it smarter than Bowen.

But I agree the B12 won't find equal replacements for Nebraska & A&M and it'll be a 2nd rate conference until the final shuffle comes about.....hopefully anytime in the near future.
You miss the obvious:

1) Boren/OU are/were catalysts for change. Based on....

a) Brady Deaton wanted to keep Beebe as the Tejas-Puppet, but Boren won out. Believe whatever you want. It's obvious. Boren announced he needed to be fired and a couple of days later he was officially canned.

b) Clearly, Boren could care less if he ruffles Tejas' administration. Heck, this whole deal might have been to do just THAT. I guess he felt like it was time to go ahead.....way too late though. This should have been going down over a year ago when Nebraska was about to leave the fold.

The Big 3 of the Big 12 at Inception :
1) OU
2) Nebraska
3) Tejas

We lost one of the Big 3= with no replacement even in the same hemisphere as Nebraska. This was the beginning of the end.

Yeh, again, the LHN issue is actually the Red Herring. The only thing that will change with the LHN is what it televises (1, 2 listed in previous post)....none of the revenue stream will change for tier 3 stuff. Again, more of a recruiting issue as much as anything.

It would be funny if Boren toyed with the SEC just to see if it would **** off Tejas. I think Boren believes he's a little to "high-flutin'" for the SEC, which is quite ridiculous actually when you think of the culture/history of Oklahoma as state. I'm a born&bred Okie and I can admit it.

The Sooners would still be one of the top programs in the SEC, but they wouldn't enjoy the success as THE top program in the Big 12, which is why the Stoops, Sooners & Co. prefer to deal with Tejas' junk and just win a whole lot more Conference Championships as a compromise for all the headache.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:14 PM

I agree with a lot of that, but not the OU perception of Boren.

Anyway, here is a very good look at the timeline of the Big 12 events by a respected Texas blogger (yes, he dumps on Boren some, but I think is pretty spot on):

Realignmentality | Barking Carnival

It's a very long read.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:10 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,882,421 times
Should have had 28 points scored on them in the 3rd quarter last night by T. Boone U. What a bunch of hacks. Kyle field needs to expand the dog cemetary after that one.

A&M is going to get killed in the SEC. It will seem cool the first couple years, but when your only wins are Vandy and Kentucky you will long for the Big 12.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Should have had 28 points scored on them in the 3rd quarter last night by T. Boone U. What a bunch of hacks. Kyle field needs to expand the dog cemetary after that one.

A&M is going to get killed in the SEC. It will seem cool the first couple years, but when your only wins are Vandy and Kentucky you will long for the Big 12.
Don't worry, the agroids with be up for the evil tu.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:14 PM
JL

7,352 posts, read 11,887,058 times
So it is official tonite that the Aggies are in the SEC next year. A great move by them honestly though i'm a UT fan. Hope they can still play every Thanksgiving, but i doubt it. In the long run, it will help A&M. I see alot of the best Texas high school players going to A&M due to the great competition in the SEC and being noticed since the ultimate goal is to make it in the pros. You will see alot of blue chip players not needing to play for Florida, Alabama, and LSU when they can stay home or be very close to home by joining the Aggies.

As far as the Longhorns, they get their mucho dinero, but it will most likely hurt them in recruiting the top players and the competition will be weaker, so strength of schedule will lessen their chances of competing for that national title. I also see Oklahoma leaving for the Pac 12. This story isn't over. You will see a few more changes(decisions) in the coming months i think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football