U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 10:30 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,417,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
Wikipedia does not lie, also I was attending school there at the time and remember how bad it was.
Their first three years in the SEC they had a record of 3-7-1, 5-5-1, and 4-7. I'd say that was struggling. It was the fourth season that they managed to win the division championship. They lost the title game 34-3 to Florida, and then they went back to 4-7 the following year. They didn't have a winning season again until Houston Nutt took over in 1998, and at that point they began to improve. It took them six years to really start to be competitive, and I expect A&M to have a similar problem, maybe worse because I think the SEC is better now then it was then.

3rd or 4th year...
I still wouldnt consider winning the West in 4 years as struggling...

They have won the West 3 times in 19 years.

Bama has won 7. Auburn & LSU have only won it 4 times themselves and it took them both longer to even win the West than it did Arkansas, Auburn 6 years and LSU 10 years!!! And Miss State won it once... Ole Miss has NEVER won it. They are only one title away from having the second most in the West... Maybe our definitions of struggle is not the same.

Also, it took South Carolina 18 years to win ONE East title... KY and Vandy have NEVER won it. GA has won it 3 times (but it took them 10 years to get the first). Tenn has won 5 (took them 5 years to get one as well). And Florida 10...

Basically if your team is not Alabama or Florida... you can say ALL the SEC schools have struggled.

So Again, I'm not sure how that stacks up as Struggling all things being considered.

Bottomline is A&M has the foundation to build an SEC Championship caliber program... They will be fine in the SEC. Will they win a title the first year? Probably not... but No SEC teams except Bama and Florida can say they have had success like that... period!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 02:00 AM

18,659 posts, read 27,118,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
The Sooners have gotten plenty of those Texas blue-chippers over the years.

As for the Horns going to the PAC....go on and get!

Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Tech will stay in the Big 12 and we'll be just fine.
No you won't. Because you won't have the television eyes to keep anyone interested. Texas knows without OU, this conference is over and likewise OU knows without Texas, this conference is over. I don't know why people believe Tech delivers the Texas market like Texas. It doesn't. No conference is clamoring to get Tech for a reason. No slight at Tech. Just the way this stupid business is ran.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:11 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,950,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
3rd or 4th year...
I still wouldnt consider winning the West in 4 years as struggling...

They have won the West 3 times in 19 years.

Bama has won 7. Auburn & LSU have only won it 4 times themselves and it took them both longer to even win the West than it did Arkansas, Auburn 6 years and LSU 10 years!!! And Miss State won it once... Ole Miss has NEVER won it. They are only one title away from having the second most in the West... Maybe our definitions of struggle is not the same.

Also, it took South Carolina 18 years to win ONE East title... KY and Vandy have NEVER won it. GA has won it 3 times (but it took them 10 years to get the first). Tenn has won 5 (took them 5 years to get one as well). And Florida 10...

Basically if your team is not Alabama or Florida... you can say ALL the SEC schools have struggled.
Who cares about the history...

Texas A&M won't be thrown to the East. Just a guess. East being the side of the SEC with the weak teams, where they could fair well. South Carolina is the only team that has been up and coming. The rest... Tennessee - Kiffin'd. Kentucky - Basketball. Vandy - Basketball. Georgia - struggling for years. At least that side can claim basketball. So no wonder Florida faired so well in SEC play pre-2010 under Meyer...

Now to the West, where A&M most likely lands. They are playing in the division where the strength of the SEC actually exist. LSU, Bama, Arkansas, Miss St (up and coming), and Auburn. A&M is a decent school but they aren't even close of a good team in comparison to LSU or Bama. If they played the schedule LSU plays this year, A&M would be slaughtered. LSU so far has faired well. A&M would play at least 4 really good squads per year vs the 2 they play in the Big 12. It will be far from peaches and candy, especially if Texas still plays Texas A&M as a non-conference game ala UF/FSU, etc. I hope you would realize that.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:29 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,417,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Who cares about the history...

Texas A&M won't be thrown to the East. Just a guess. East being the side of the SEC with the weak teams, where they could fair well. South Carolina is the only team that has been up and coming. The rest... Tennessee - Kiffin'd. Kentucky - Basketball. Vandy - Basketball. Georgia - struggling for years. At least that side can claim basketball. So no wonder Florida faired so well in SEC play pre-2010 under Meyer...

Now to the West, where A&M most likely lands. They are playing in the division where the strength of the SEC actually exist. LSU, Bama, Arkansas, Miss St (up and coming), and Auburn. A&M is a decent school but they aren't even close of a good team in comparison to LSU or Bama. If they played the schedule LSU plays this year, A&M would be slaughtered. LSU so far has faired well. A&M would play at least 4 really good squads per year vs the 2 they play in the Big 12. It will be far from peaches and candy, especially if Texas still plays Texas A&M as a non-conference game ala UF/FSU, etc. I hope you would realize that.
I never said it was going to be peaches and "cream"... I'm saying its not going to be the disaster that most of you all think. And I don't think they will be doormat or a struggling program in the SEC.

The only reason history was brought up was because Arkansas was mentioned by "e_cuyler" as a program that struggled when they got in the SEC. And that is jut not true, so thats why we revisited what the schools have done. People always forget so quickly. ALL the SEC teams cant be good at once, they all rotate year in and year out except for Bama & Florida basically. So just because you are not good a couple years doesn't mean you are a struggling program because they have all had droughts... even Bama & Florida.

And if you are going to quote me as you did... Don't leave out the MOST important part of my post, that clearly states I don't think they will have it peaches and "cream"

Quote:
Bottomline is A&M has the foundation to build an SEC Championship caliber program... They will be fine in the SEC. Will they win a title the first year? Probably not... but No SEC teams except Bama and Florida can say they have had success like that... period!!!

Old 09-27-2011, 08:35 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,750,136 times
Quote:
So just because you are not good a couple years doesn't mean you are a struggling program because they have all had droughts... even Bama & Florida.
Exactly, it wasn't so long ago that Bama was a struggling program that everyone thought wouldn't rise up again:

Alabama's poor seasons in the past 10 years:

2007: 7-6
2006: 6-7
2004: 6-6
2003: 4-9

Old 09-27-2011, 08:51 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,385,054 times
Since apparently people aren't interested what I'm saying [even though I'd say it's fairly relevant to the discussion,] I'll just mention that Arkansas went 18-28-2 in conference play during their first five years in the SEC, which is pretty bad by any stretch of the imagination, especially when you consider that six of those conference wins came during the season when they won the West. They had back to back 4-7 seasons the following two years so it's not like they turned the corner that year, they went right back to being lousy. And it's not just that they didn't compete in the conference, they didn't compete overall. They weren't bowl eligible for five of those six seasons.

Since someone posted Alabama's "bad" seasons I thought I'd show Arkansas' during this period as a comparison:

1992: 3-7-1
1993: 5-5-1 [during the actual season, it's now in the record books as 6-4-1 due to an Alabama forfeit]
1994: 4-7
1995: 8-5 [yep, the year they won the West]
1996: 4-7
1997: 4-7

That my friends, is a struggling program.

A&M can probably avoid a lot of the trouble if they allow for the fact that it's a tougher conference, and don't do something stupid like firing their coach after the first game of the season which is what got the Hogs off on the wrong foot.

Last edited by e_cuyler; 09-27-2011 at 09:02 AM..

Old 09-27-2011, 09:07 AM

8,406 posts, read 8,403,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
The Sooners have gotten plenty of those Texas blue-chippers over the years.

As for the Horns going to the PAC....go on and get!

Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Tech will stay in the Big 12 and we'll be just fine.
Texas' #1 priority has ALWAYS been to remain in the Big XII. Powers & Dodds have stated so repeatedly in the media.

Personally, I'd like UT to move to the PAC.

And Spade is absolutely correct here:

Quote:
No you won't. Because you won't have the television eyes to keep anyone interested. Texas knows without OU, this conference is over and likewise OU knows without Texas, this conference is over. I don't know why people believe Tech delivers the Texas market like Texas. It doesn't. No conference is clamoring to get Tech for a reason. No slight at Tech. Just the way this stupid business is ran
ncopus said:

Quote:
if Texas still plays Texas A&M as a non-conference game ala UF/FSU, etc
The Texas - Texas A&M Turkey Day game is DOA starting next season. It ain't gonna happen because the aggys ran away. (See Arkansas)

Last edited by ScoPro; 09-27-2011 at 09:15 AM..

Old 09-27-2011, 09:51 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,950,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
The Texas - Texas A&M Turkey Day game is DOA starting next season. It ain't gonna happen because the aggys ran away. (See Arkansas)
I have seen zero announcement of their first SEC schedule so I wouldn't count it DOA just yet, even if Mike Sherman and gang are scared. Note original out of conference for A&M included Arkansas i.e. a game they will need to replace as they most likely will be playing them in-conference each year.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:34 AM

8,406 posts, read 8,403,312 times
I hear a couple aggy legislators want to file bills compelling the game to continue.
Good luck with that, as they can't file until November 2012 for the 2013 session. lol

Personally, I don't care if it continues or not.

A quote from a Texas fan elsewhere:
Quote:
High ground is not gained by running away, no matter how you spin it. Period. The ags will never convince anyone but themselves that we killed the rivalry.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:24 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,912,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I hear a couple aggy legislators want to file bills compelling the game to continue.
Good luck with that, as they can't file until November 2012 for the 2013 session. lol

Personally, I don't care if it continues or not.

A quote from a Texas fan elsewhere:
Saw that as well. Pretty pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football