Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2011, 09:36 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
^^^ That looks like a good plan to me Bass & Catfish, assuming that Mizzou leaves.
I think Boren/Neinas/Big 12 & Co. have done a good job of reigning in Tejas. Boren has done an adequate job of saving face for himself and OU after the PAC12 debacle.

Good article on some of the reforms that are locked in keeping Tejas in check....for now, at least.

Big 12 teams, except Missouri, sign over TV rights to league | Big 12 | Sports News and Video... (http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/10/06/3426162/big-12-teams-except-missouri-sign.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 12:09 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,029,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I think Boren/Neinas/Big 12 & Co. have done a good job of reigning in Tejas. Boren has done an adequate job of saving face for himself and OU after the PAC12 debacle.

Good article on some of the reforms that are locked in keeping Tejas in check....for now, at least.

Big 12 teams, except Missouri, sign over TV rights to league | Big 12 | Sports News and Video... (http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/10/06/3426162/big-12-teams-except-missouri-sign.html - broken link)
I agree, I've been pleased so far with the reforms that are being attempted and Boren certainly deserves some credit for his leadership in that effort. As far as Texas goes, the only thing I can figure is that they are probably going along with these measures because they can still make their Tier 3 TV money with the LHN even though they have to share all the Tier 1 & 2 TV money. I couldn't care less about the Tier 3 money, if UT and OU make extra money of that stuff, more power to them. I just hope there are significant restrictions on showing conference games on limited access networks, whether its the LHN, Sooner network or whatever. As a fan, I just don't want to miss any of the key matchups just because my cable system doesn't carry the network. IMO, independent limited access networks like LHN should not be able to show conference games. Or if they insist on doing it, it should be be set up similar to the NFL network, no more than 1 conference game per year. I'm baffled by the whole concept of the LHN and other limited access channels like it. To use the LHN for example, how can ABC/ESPN possibly make as much money off a game broadcast on that limited access channel vs ABC/ESPN/ESPN2? From their perspective (ABC/ESPN), I just don't get it.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
I agree, I've been pleased so far with the reforms that are being attempted and Boren certainly deserves some credit for his leadership in that effort. As far as Texas goes, the only thing I can figure is that they are probably going along with these measures because they can still make their Tier 3 TV money with the LHN even though they have to share all the Tier 1 & 2 TV money. I couldn't care less about the Tier 3 money, if UT and OU make extra money of that stuff, more power to them. I just hope there are significant restrictions on showing conference games on limited access networks, whether its the LHN, Sooner network or whatever. As a fan, I just don't want to miss any of the key matchups just because my cable system doesn't carry the network. IMO, independent limited access networks like LHN should not be able to show conference games. Or if they insist on doing it, it should be be set up similar to the NFL network, no more than 1 conference game per year. I'm baffled by the whole concept of the LHN and other limited access channels like it. To use the LHN for example, how can ABC/ESPN possibly make as much money off a game broadcast on that limited access channel vs ABC/ESPN/ESPN2? From their perspective (ABC/ESPN), I just don't get it.
>>>>>
IMO, independent limited access networks like LHN should not be able to show conference games.
<<<<<

Amen.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:04 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
>>>>>
IMO, independent limited access networks like LHN should not be able to show conference games.
<<<<<

Amen.
That should be up to the two schools, if the game has fallen to 3rd tier status. Kansas will be well paid for their game on the LHN this season, otherwise they might have gotten nothing.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
That should be up to the two schools, if the game has fallen to 3rd tier status. Kansas will be well paid for their game on the LHN this season, otherwise they might have gotten nothing.
Disagree 110%. If Texas is a member of the Big 12 then the Big 12 Brand supersedes the Longhorn Brand. High school highlights and football games should be out of the question. If UT wants these then they gotta go Indy. Kansas is acting like a Little H* for going along with the 2nd televised game. Kansas does not need the money.....the conference needs UNITY more. It will be interesting to see what other football games are on the LHN in the future as there has to be agreement among schools (I honestly think it should be 100% agreement/consent from all members of the conference) and agreement from Fox Sports and ABC/ESPN = of course ABC/ESPN will agree. It remains to be seen how Fox Sports will or will not sign off on such future games.

ESPN is just as guilty if not more so for dangling this out there for UT. ESPN should have thought about all the implications of such a venture and instead it went WAY past the realm of making money into unattainable outright recruiting advantage for the Shorthorns with the high school highlights/Big 12 games. We would still have A&M right now if it weren't for these last two provisions for UT.....especially the highlights. Thank God they're not going through in the future.

BTW, I wouldn't want the Sooners do this either with their own network, no matter how much money it might bring in. Hopefully, the Sooners' Brass will see what trouble this has caused and not be so myopic. We can only hope. I say screw ESPN and any other entity that would be willing to breakup a conference just for more cash.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:49 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Disagree 110%. If Texas is a member of the Big 12 then the Big 12 Brand supersedes the Longhorn Brand. High school highlights and football games should be out of the question. If UT wants these then they gotta go Indy. Kansas is acting like a Little H* for going along with the 2nd televised game. Kansas does not need the money.....the conference needs UNITY more. It will be interesting to see what other football games are on the LHN in the future as there has to be agreement among schools (I honestly think it should be 100% agreement/consent from all members of the conference) and agreement from Fox Sports and ABC/ESPN = of course ABC/ESPN will agree. It remains to be seen how Fox Sports will or will not sign off on such future games.

ESPN is just as guilty if not more so for dangling this out there for UT. ESPN should have thought about all the implications of such a venture and instead it went WAY past the realm of making money into unattainable outright recruiting advantage for the Shorthorns with the high school highlights/Big 12 games. We would still have A&M right now if it weren't for these last two provisions for UT.....especially the highlights. Thank God they're not going through in the future.

BTW, I wouldn't want the Sooners do this either with their own network, no matter how much money it might bring in. Hopefully, the Sooners' Brass will see what trouble this has caused and not be so myopic. We can only hope. I say screw ESPN and any other entity that would be willing to breakup a conference just for more cash.
I disagree 120%

If Kansas can sell their 3rd tier rights for $7,000,000/year without complaint from the rest of the B12, then there should be none for the LHN. After all, the LHN is just a package. Why shouldn't UT be able to cash in on it's brand that it has developed with a lot of hard, hard work...while the lesser not so successful schools have still reaped millions from their association with the Longhorns in the B12?

Besides, ESPN has been broadcasting high school games for years. I think the NCAA is going to lose their case in court when it comes to that.

We would still have A&M if THEY hadn't been so stupid and myopic about refusing to join UT in Dodds' Lone Star Network proposal years ago.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I disagree 120%

If Kansas can sell their 3rd tier rights for $7,000,000/year without complaint from the rest of the B12, then there should be none for the LHN. After all, the LHN is just a package. Why shouldn't UT be able to cash in on it's brand that it has developed with a lot of hard, hard work...while the lesser not so successful schools have still reaped millions from their association with the Longhorns in the B12?

Besides, ESPN has been broadcasting high school games for years. I think the NCAA is going to lose their case in court when it comes to that.

We would still have A&M if THEY hadn't been so stupid and myopic about refusing to join UT in Dodds' Lone Star Network proposal years ago.
Again, you miss my main point. UNITY should trump all of this especially right now with the ridiculously fractured nature of the Big 12.....and BBall will always take a backseat to football in revenue. OU/Tejas and the others are not worried about the Jayhawks making money on basketball because BBall will always be 2nd Fiddle. Period.

Kansas nor Tejas need money. The conference needs unity, but as usual the almighty dollar wins out.

Having said that, I'm good with Tejas having all the money as long as OU keeps drubbin' 'em 55-17.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:16 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,848,791 times
So TCU is joining next year. Is that a record for shortest stay ever in a conference? Guess so, unless there's some case out there where a team switched conferences during a season.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:51 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,848,791 times
My mistake, I had the idea they had started with the Big East already.

Some of the schools the Big East is looking at may be good fits, but I think they stand a real danger of diluting things by accepting schools that just don't play up to the same level as those in the other BCS conferences. That's something I'm a little worried about for the Big 12 too.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:56 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
How in the world do you seperate KU and KSU and OU and OSU?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football