Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 02:08 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,554,658 times

Advertisements

I think it's time to let the Big XII die already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 07:41 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
I think it's time to let the Big XII die already.
Yep, the Dinky Dozen is a dead end.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:02 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,149 times
For the sake of Kansas City, I just wish the B1G would just pick up KU, KSU and Mizzou. KU provides BBall cred and KSU and Mizzou have shown they can play the pigskin. Too many little guys are gonna get banished to the neitherworld because they don't fit some sort of arbitrary criteria when you already have some dead weight in conferences already (Kentucky, Wazzou, Duke, Indiana). Terribly unfair.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:29 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,031,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
For the sake of Kansas City, I just wish the B1G would just pick up KU, KSU and Mizzou. KU provides BBall cred and KSU and Mizzou have shown they can play the pigskin. Too many little guys are gonna get banished to the neitherworld because they don't fit some sort of arbitrary criteria when you already have some dead weight in conferences already (Kentucky, Wazzou, Duke, Indiana). Terribly unfair.
I agree! Academic pedigree is very important in the B1G and Kansas and Missouri in particular would fit in nicely since both of those schools are members of the AAU (Association of American Universities). AAU member schools have very strong academics and research, as well as more strict admissions criteria. They may not take Kansas State because of academics, however, IMO it makes no sense at all why the B1G wouldn't want KU and Mizzou since they would bring in the Kansas City and St. Louis TV markets.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:16 PM

Well people are worried about not brining in a school that will supposedly be a drain on coffers as opposed to a boon for it.

However, the Big 10 has so much wiggle room already. Not to mention it's disrespectful to Kansas's basketball program to get second stringed like that.

Sigh, but then again it's just a sign of the times of the country. Just hope not too many people get left out in the cold.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:28 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,256 times
Quote:
(Kentucky, Wazzou, Duke, Indiana). Terribly unfair.

Kentucky does ACTUALLY have some football tradition though... Bear Bryant lead them 5 topy 25 finishes. And he is Bear Bryant!!!

Old 09-04-2011, 11:48 PM

I don't know if you noticed but one 5 year stretch of relevance does not a program make in the eyes of the media and armchair commisioners.

Today you either are elite or a scrub, no inbetween. (Not my POV but thats the general gist I get)

Texas, OU, USC, Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Florida State, half of the SEC.

If you aren't in that country club of dynastic success than you aren't seen as a real program worthy of mention (even Virginia Tech can't shake the pretender criticisms, FRIGGIN VA TECH!). And forgone success cannot be relied on no matter how worthy it is (Miami, Notre Dame, etc).

I am much more accomodating not to mention realistic in admitting NOT EVERY FRIGGIN PROGRAM CAN BE A GENERATIONAL DYNASTY but if your not then you will always be second guessed in the highly subjective, zero sum, perspective driven world of college football today.

-----------------------------------------

Anyways, yea Kansas and Mizzou should be salvaged. You gotta protect the Border War at the very least. Frankly I'd like the B1G to pick up KSU (Bill Snyder put too much blood sweat and tears into that program to have it die) as well and then Rutgers for the east (a HELL of a lot of cable subscription dough to be made). I know I know they suck, but i dunno. They dumped too much money into the program for it to be a liability. What's more people underestimate the groundswell of fandom New Jersey would bring forth if they actually got back to Ray Rice levels of success. I'm not talking NYC (a universe unto itself) but something not celebrated in the name of the two metropolises overshadowing the state, but a sports team that truly represents JERSEY and JERSEY ALONE. Big Big potential there.

Now if that occurs (likely wont), With the recent rumblings of the remaining SWC gang of 4 heading west, I'd really start to worry about SEC poaching of ACC teams.

Last edited by waltlantz; 09-04-2011 at 11:56 PM..

Old 09-06-2011, 02:10 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
Quote:
I don't know if you noticed but one 5 year stretch of relevance does not a program make in the eyes of the media and armchair commisioners.

Today you either are elite or a scrub, no inbetween. (Not my POV but thats the general gist I get)

Texas, OU, USC, Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Florida State, half of the SEC.

If you aren't in that country club of dynastic success than you aren't seen as a real program worthy of mention (even Virginia Tech can't shake the pretender criticisms, FRIGGIN VA TECH!). And forgone success cannot be relied on no matter how worthy it is (Miami, Notre Dame, etc).

I am much more accomodating not to mention realistic in admitting NOT EVERY FRIGGIN PROGRAM CAN BE A GENERATIONAL DYNASTY but if your not then you will always be second guessed in the highly subjective, zero sum, perspective driven world of college football today.

-----------------------------------------

Anyways, yea Kansas and Mizzou should be salvaged. You gotta protect the Border War at the very least. Frankly I'd like the B1G to pick up KSU (Bill Snyder put too much blood sweat and tears into that program to have it die) as well and then Rutgers for the east (a HELL of a lot of cable subscription dough to be made). I know I know they suck, but i dunno. They dumped too much money into the program for it to be a liability. What's more people underestimate the groundswell of fandom New Jersey would bring forth if they actually got back to Ray Rice levels of success. I'm not talking NYC (a universe unto itself) but something not celebrated in the name of the two metropolises overshadowing the state, but a sports team that truly represents JERSEY and JERSEY ALONE. Big Big potential there.

Now if that occurs (likely wont), With the recent rumblings of the remaining SWC gang of 4 heading west, I'd really start to worry about SEC poaching of ACC teams.
Big MEH to Rutgers and any other team east of Happy Valley. Going west or southwest is more interesting to me. Do OU, OK State, Texas or Iowa State have AAU creds?

Old 09-06-2011, 03:27 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Technically speaking, Texas and Oklahoma are the western most boundary of the South. Going to the Mighty Midwest Conference doesn't make any more geographic sense than the PAC, IMO. Kansas and Missouri, sure, they can go to the Big 10. Oklahoma/Texas schools? I don't think so. Plus, I've always heard that there would be no way that the Big 10, with its academic pedigree, would take Oklahoma/Oklahoma State/or Texas Tech.

There is no easy solution. I still wish there is a way the Texas and Oklahoma schools could start a 10 team South Central Conference (SSC) and then pick up 2-3 bigtime quality non-conference games per year to satfisy the strength of schedule.

SSC East
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Rice
SMU
Tulsa

SSC West
Baylor
TCU
Texas
Texas Tech
UTEP
Texas nor Texas A&M would ever go for this.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:17 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Big MEH to Rutgers and any other team east of Happy Valley. Going west or southwest is more interesting to me. Do OU, OK State, Texas or Iowa State have AAU creds?
UT does. It's one of the top publics in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football