Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2011, 02:27 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
4 16 team conferences would basically be a giant 64 team playoff. The final 4 could be part of the bowl games. Just add a plus one on the end of it and there you have it.

Its not a matter of if, its a matter of when.
A giant flaw. There will always be "Boise St"s on the outside of the 4 conferences who will file an antitrust lawsuit if left out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25
I wish somebody could answer this question for me:
Complete agreeance. I think the concept is completely stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 03:20 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,189,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
A giant flaw. There will always be "Boise St"s on the outside of the 4 conferences who will file an antitrust lawsuit if left out.
If anything the NCAA is anti-trust. I think that the 4 super conferences will not be governed by the NCAA if it happens. The will create their own system to make their own rules(paying players).

The tournament champion wont be "NCAA champions", but will be considered national champions by the public.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:45 PM

4,077 posts, read 5,606,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
If anything the NCAA is anti-trust. I think that the 4 super conferences will not be governed by the NCAA if it happens. The will create their own system to make their own rules(paying players).

The tournament champion wont be "NCAA champions", but will be considered national champions by the public.

eggzactly.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
If anything the NCAA is anti-trust.
Explain. Who have they excluded?

Quote:
When I see Oregon St go down by Sac St.
When I see Louisville go down by FIU.
When I see Ohio St taken to the house by Toledo.

March Madness has proven that the Lil Guys can take the Big Conference guys down all the time.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:14 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,189,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Explain. Who have they excluded?

When I see Oregon St go down by Sac St.
When I see Louisville go down by FIU.
When I see Ohio St taken to the house by Toledo.

March Madness has proven that the Lil Guys can take the Big Conference guys down all the time.
A: Antitrust isn't in place to prevent exclusion. It is in place to prevent monopolies. Here is the definition.

exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market, or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices. Compare duopoly, oligopoly.
an exclusive privilege to carry on a business, traffic, or service, granted by a government.
the exclusive possession or control of something.
something that is the subject of such control, as a commodity or service.
a company or group that has such control.

I would like you to tell me how the NCAA isn't in violation of antitrust laws.

B: It doesn't matter what the little guys can do against the big teams. It is about the teams that will be included in the 64. No one cares if they might lose to a lesser team one out of 20 times in the current structure.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
A: Antitrust isn't in place to prevent exclusion. It is in place to prevent monopolies. Here is the definition.

exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market, or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices. Compare duopoly, oligopoly.
an exclusive privilege to carry on a business, traffic, or service, granted by a government.
the exclusive possession or control of something.
something that is the subject of such control, as a commodity or service.
a company or group that has such control.
Exclusive gives reference to Exclusion.

Quote:
I would like you to tell me how the NCAA isn't in violation of antitrust laws.
How do they have exclusive control over the market of "Sports"; let alone "College Sports"? There is the NAIA, NJCCA, etc. These groupings including the NCAA are just governing bodies enforcing rules to protect these young athletes.

The only committed crime of the NCAA is the money they take in i.e. they are not a non-profit like they claim they are.

Quote:
It doesn't matter what the little guys can do against the big teams. It is about the teams that will be included in the 64. No one cares if they might lose to a lesser team one out of 20 times in the current structure.
Not always the case. Boise St record over the past 5 years on BCS AQ conference teams: 7-1

Old 09-12-2011, 08:49 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Bohls voted for Reggie Bush for the Heisman.

That should give you a clue about his credibility.
Who should he have voted for? The home team athlete? At the time of the vote, I don't believe there was anything known of Reggie's problems. So Bohls voted as he sees it.

That's what journalists do.

Bohls has also criticized Mack for his handling of quarterbacks for years. Have you been happy about how Applewhite, Simms, etc. were handled? Didn't Mack essentially trash Gilbert's freshmen year by padding McCoy's statistics all year long?

Old 09-12-2011, 09:16 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Bohls must be blind.....and Bush's cheating has nothing to do with it.

He watched VY all season and Bush on TV for a couple of games - as did the rest of us. Without Bush, USC still plays inn the RB. Without VY, Texas plays in the Alamo Bowl. 'nuff said.

Bohls tries too hard to not be a homer, but in this case he jumped the shark and screwed up as bad as any writer ever did by sucking up the ESPN hype of Bush.

As I said, that horrible choice destroyed his cred....at least to Texas fans.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:59 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
If the pie is finite, why the necessity of increasing footprints?
To make more money for the conference and its schools.

Quote:
If all conferences extend their footprint with tremendous overlap, don't the "overlap regions" represent a far smaller market than the areas that are solidly in the conference without any other conference in place there?
No, they don't. Houston, Texas will be a bigger market than Lard Bucket, Alabama, regardless of what conferences have schools that overlap those markets.

Quote:
Don't these conferences want all major conferences across the country to be strong, so that a true national champion can be crowned?
No, that makes no sense whatsoever. The conferences want their conference, and its member schools, to be strong. The SEC isn't, and shouldn't, be in the business of giving money to the MAC or the Big 12.

Quote:
Why does there have to be competition between conferences?
Because human beings are competitive. Competition is fun.

Quote:
Couldn't the very act of making x amount of broadcast games part of the "commons" that would be split among all schools (just like the NFL does to protect its smaller markets and which MLB does not at the very expense of those smaller markets....the Pittsburghs of the world...barely hang on) mean that all parts of the nation can have competitive programs that make sufficient broadcasting bucks.
Who gives a rats ass about making sure all parts of the nation have competitive programs? I could not care less what happens outside of the SEC. If the Big Televen-Twelves and the Pac-whatever failed tomorrow, I would point and laugh.

What I want is for my alma mater, and my team, to win. Behind that, I want my team to play in a competitive and fun conference.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:08 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
To make more money for the conference and its schools.

No, they don't. Houston, Texas will be a bigger market than Lard Bucket, Alabama, regardless of what conferences have schools that overlap those markets.

No, that makes no sense whatsoever. The conferences want their conference, and its member schools, to be strong. The SEC isn't, and shouldn't, be in the business of giving money to the MAC or the Big 12.

Because human beings are competitive. Competition is fun.

Who gives a rats ass about making sure all parts of the nation have competitive programs? I could not care less what happens outside of the SEC. If the Big Televen-Twelves and the Pac-whatever failed tomorrow, I would point and laugh.

What I want is for my alma mater, and my team, to win. Behind that, I want my team to play in a competitive and fun conference.
Which is why most Texas fans would love to see the Horns go to the PAC 12 or Big 10.

The Big 12 is a dead end in the long run as it stands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football