Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 11:25 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,921 times

Advertisements

As a Texas fan I'm glad we didn't get admitted into the PAC-12. I'm pretty sure most Texas fans were dreading having to be part of a giant Pac-16... I want to see the Big 12 stick around-- but it is evident that A&M is dead set on leaving.

I'd like to see us add BYU, (TCU or SMU), and West Virginia and get back to 12 teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 12:55 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,916 times
I certainly don't see A&M deciding to stay in the Big 12, they are dead set on leaving. I really wish they would stay, I always like to watch the Texas vs. A&M game each year and I also like to watch Tech play the Aggies. I have a lot of Aggie friends and most of them support the SEC move so I certainly wish them well when they make the move. It appears that things might be looking up a bit, I just saw on ESPN that Big 12 commish Beebe is on his way out. A new interim commish has apparently been chosen and an official announcement of that change should happen very soon. After the interim commish comes in, and assuming that other details are worked out regarding more stability in the conference, I think that Baylor and the other teams concerned with A&M leaving should agree not to sue A&M or the SEC and allow them to leave. Here's the link about the new interim commish and other possible changes on the way:

Dan Beebe working to leave job as Big 12 Conference commissioner, report says - ESPN

Old 09-22-2011, 01:00 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,571 times
Well I understand the pain of seeing a rival ending it's yearly contest.

Then again in the "what have you done for me lately" world today, it seems like it's really more about Texas-OU, both in terms of money and hype. That's the game that the nation watches. Not the Red River Shootout (by comparison).

After all I bet there are some grandaddies who still bemoan the fact that Texas and Arky no longer play.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:27 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Well I understand the pain of seeing a rival ending it's yearly contest.

Then again in the "what have you done for me lately" world today, it seems like it's really more about Texas-OU, both in terms of money and hype. That's the game that the nation watches. Not the Red River Shootout (by comparison).

After all I bet there are some grandaddies who still bemoan the fact that Texas and Arky no longer play.
The OU-Texas game is the RRS.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
I certainly don't see A&M deciding to stay in the Big 12, they are dead set on leaving. I really wish they would stay, I always like to watch the Texas vs. A&M game each year and I also like to watch Tech play the Aggies. I have a lot of Aggie friends and most of them support the SEC move so I certainly wish them well when they make the move. It appears that things might be looking up a bit, I just saw on ESPN that Big 12 commish Beebe is on his way out. A new interim commish has apparently been chosen and an official announcement of that change should happen very soon. After the interim commish comes in, and assuming that other details are worked out regarding more stability in the conference, I think that Baylor and the other teams concerned with A&M leaving should agree not to sue A&M or the SEC and allow them to leave. Here's the link about the new interim commish and other possible changes on the way:

Dan Beebe working to leave job as Big 12 Conference commissioner, report says - ESPN
>>>>>
After the interim commish comes in, and assuming that other details are worked out regarding more stability in the conference, I think that Baylor and the other teams concerned with A&M leaving should agree not to sue A&M or the SEC and allow them to leave.
<<<<<

I actually think they should find ANY way (even litigation and a lengthy process) to keep A&M in the league. Probably won't happen, but we lose so much by losing A&M.

Hopefully, Neinas (former Big 8 Commissioner who held a stable conference long before Tejas was around) can keep the Horns in check. Apparently, D-Dodds worked for Neinas back in the day, so I'm guessing he won't be the Horn-Puppet that Beebe was.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:29 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Beebe was OU's hand-picked hire for commissioner in the first place. Texas supported a different candidate.

Just to set the record straight.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:33 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I actually think they should find ANY way (even litigation and a lengthy process) to keep A&M in the league. Probably won't happen, but we lose so much by losing A&M.

Hopefully, Neinas (former Big 8 Commissioner who held a stable conference long before Tejas was around) can keep the Horns in check. Apparently, D-Dodds worked for Neinas back in the day, so I'm guessing he won't be the Horn-Puppet that Beebe was.
I agree that A&M is a huge loss. One possible thing they could do for the future is to implement much larger exit fees for leaving the Big 12. That should keep the universities from constantly looking for a better deal. I certainly hope that Neinas won't be UT's puppet like Beebe was, or OU's puppet for that matter. If he is, we're in for more of the same instability and chaos. Beebe is leaving this conference in a shambles and we could sure use good leadership right now.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:58 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,459,555 times
[quote=Bass&Catfish2008;20987489]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post

>>>>>
Heck, I would say most Duck fans and a sneaking suspicion that OU was using all this to gain leverage despite what an OU fan claims.
<<<<<

^^^
THIS. Quite plausible and probably accurate. Boren is a former Governor/Senator and very close to Pres. Obama. He's no dummy for sure and legally he's VERY shrewd.

The whole deal could have been a ruse from the get-go to try to make Texas look like a puppet and then make concessions within a revamped Big 12.

In the Oklahoman today, Stoops came out and said that Boren had consulted him on many of the ins/outs pros/cons of conference expansion. It would be hard to argue with Stoops' success in the Big 12 = 7 conference championships to Tejas' 3. Stoops may have ultimately asked, "Why destroy something/conference we've been incredibly successful in?" Along with Constiglione, Boren/Stoops & Co. may have just decided it would be better to put up with Tejas' junk and just keep winning as long as the Big 12 can hold together.

I'm sure we'll never get the whole story.

P.S. Don't hold your breath on the Big 12 ending anytime soon. It's gonna be here for the long haul now that Tejas can never go to the PAC. The only thing that would throw another wrench in this whole realignment mess is if OU finally decided (which many Sooner fans [I'm not one of 'em] want quite honestly based on regional culture/geographical proximity) to apply to the SEC. About 100 to 1 shot it happens, but it's out there and available nonetheless.
You may just be right. I could see the Pac going after OU/OSU if they feel pressure to add in order to compete with possible future superconferences. I hope it stays the way it is...even though it would have been nice to see my Ducks closer to my home here in Austin (and Norman is a whole lot closer than Arizona).

Old 09-22-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Beebe was OU's hand-picked hire for commissioner in the first place. Texas supported a different candidate.

Just to set the record straight.
OU pick or not, everything Beebe did was Horn-centric. Never should have moved the offices from KC. The Big 12 was way too South-centered from the get-go...including my Sooners (I can admit it). As much as I love the Big 12 South as a division/culture/traditions, it really should have been an East/West.

Strong leadership is a must in this situation. Without it, let the Big 12 die because all of this will happen every so often.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:11 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Well, it looks like you might get your wish - I hear the old Big 8 commish is being pushed to replace Beebe.

I wonder if Darth Dodds can turn him to the Dark (Burnt Orange) Side?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football