Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 08:51 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,031,285 times

Advertisements

^^^Yep, it's official now. The Aggies are planning on holding a press conference later today. Now, it'll be interesting to see what team will replace A&M in the Big 12. Also, it'll be interesting to see if the SEC adds a 14th team for 2012. Missouri has been reported as a possible team that could be invited. I hope that Missouri has already signed off on the agreement reached last week amongst the remaining Big 12 schools to grant 1st and 2nd tier TV rights to the Big 12, which would mean that all revenue from games under the current ABC/ESPN and Fox contract would continue to go to the Big 12 even if a team leaves for another conference. I'm hoping that agreement will keep Missouri and any other Big 12 team the SEC might be interested in the Big 12 for now and settle things down for a while.

Link:

Texas A&M Aggies officially get accepted into the SEC - ESPN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 09:00 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
^^^Yep, it's official now. The Aggies are planning on holding a press conference later today. Now, it'll be interesting to see what team will replace A&M in the Big 12. Also, it'll be interesting to see if the SEC adds a 14th team for 2012. Missouri has been reported as a possible team that could be invited. I hope that Missouri has already signed off on the agreement reached last week amongst the remaining Big 12 schools to grant 1st and 2nd tier TV rights to the Big 12, which would mean that all revenue from games under the current ABC/ESPN and Fox contract would continue to go to the Big 12 even if a team leaves for another conference. I'm hoping that agreement will keep Missouri and any other Big 12 team the SEC might be interested in the Big 12 for now and settle things down for a while.

Link:

Texas A&M Aggies officially get accepted into the SEC - ESPN
"The Aggies will begin life in a conference that will make the Big 12 seem like a featherbed. Regional rivalries, the lifeblood of the sport, are tossed aside like the unsold items in a tag sale."

Truth.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:59 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,445 times
But they would probably re-start a rivalry with Arkansas from the SWC.

Texas/OU have not been in the same conference for the majority of their rivalry, and there are other in-state rivalries out there where the teams aren't in the same conference. I don't think this necessarily means the end of the rivalry.

I think they're going to have a rough time in the SEC, though, sort of like Arkansas did when they joined.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:47 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
I think they're going to have a rough time in the SEC, though, sort of like Arkansas did when they joined.
Arkansas won the SEC West Division in their 3rd season in the league... How is that struggling?

Old 09-26-2011, 01:54 PM

Wikipedia does not lie, also I was attending school there at the time and remember how bad it was.
Their first three years in the SEC they had a record of 3-7-1, 5-5-1, and 4-7. I'd say that was struggling. It was the fourth season that they managed to win the division championship. They lost the title game 34-3 to Florida, and then they went back to 4-7 the following year. They didn't have a winning season again until Houston Nutt took over in 1998, and at that point they began to improve. It took them six years to really start to be competitive, and I expect A&M to have a similar problem, maybe worse because I think the SEC is better now then it was then.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:08 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,031,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
Wikipedia does not lie, also I was attending school there at the time and remember how bad it was.
Their first three years in the SEC they had a record of 3-7-1, 5-5-1, and 4-7. I'd say that was struggling. It was the fourth season that they managed to win the division championship. They lost the title game 34-3 to Florida, and then they went back to 4-7 the following year. They didn't have a winning season again until Houston Nutt took over in 1998, and at that point they began to improve. It took them six years to really start to be competitive, and I expect A&M to have a similar problem, maybe worse because I think the SEC is better now then it was then.
Yeah, A&M is going to get clobbered in the SEC, like they've never been clobbered before...lol.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:03 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
Yeah, A&M is going to get clobbered in the SEC, like they've never been clobbered before...lol.
They'll be lucky to sniff the mid-level....of the SEC West.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:29 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times
It will probably take A&M having to finish this years recruiting class before i think they will do very well, so probably in another 2-3yrs before they do well. I wouldn't compare Arkansas to A&M. The best high school prospects in Texas prefer to either stay near home or go to power house SEC teams. I think most of these guys would prefer A&M over Arkansas. The reason why in previous years they went to the nationally known powerhouses is to get recognized in a power conference like the SEC and playing on national TV frequently. Pro scouts know this conference is the hotbed of many future NFLers. Now that A&M is in the SEC, you will see many of these kids just stay home since they get to play the Florida, Alabama, Auburn, and LSUs anyway.

I'm hoping my Longhorns leave for somewhere...maybe the Pac 12 cuz i don't see a good future for them in the Big 12.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:06 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
It will probably take A&M having to finish this years recruiting class before i think they will do very well, so probably in another 2-3yrs before they do well. I wouldn't compare Arkansas to A&M. The best high school prospects in Texas prefer to either stay near home or go to power house SEC teams. I think most of these guys would prefer A&M over Arkansas. The reason why in previous years they went to the nationally known powerhouses is to get recognized in a power conference like the SEC and playing on national TV frequently. Pro scouts know this conference is the hotbed of many future NFLers. Now that A&M is in the SEC, you will see many of these kids just stay home since they get to play the Florida, Alabama, Auburn, and LSUs anyway.

I'm hoping my Longhorns leave for somewhere...maybe the Pac 12 cuz i don't see a good future for them in the Big 12.
The Sooners have gotten plenty of those Texas blue-chippers over the years.

As for the Horns going to the PAC....go on and get!

Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Tech will stay in the Big 12 and we'll be just fine.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:47 PM

I think the schools that go into the realigned conferences early on will be in the best position. My worry is that the schools that try to maintain the status quo are going to be passed by, and will end up having to figure something out later after all the "good" spots are already taken. I'm hoping that eventually we'll see some kind of merger with the Big 12 and the Pac, since it has been considered twice now.

Otherwise I'm afraid they'll either have to accept a bunch of lower level teams and take a step down as far as quality or else create some kind of patchwork conference with the other BCS teams who have bungled realignment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football