U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 08:36 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,993,783 times

Advertisements

August: "Yeah, we've got a team this year, (Insert name) shows a lot of promise at the QB position, we're legit contenders for the national championship"

October: "OK, so that was kind of a deflating loss, but we've still got a lot of talent and can definitely bounce back".

December: "Alright, so we finished 7-5. I'd rather win the Sun Bowl with quality student athletes than win the title with a bunch of thugs and cheats like your SEC schools!"

Next August: "Yeah, we've got a team this year ..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 08:43 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,770,440 times
They still make tons more money than most people so I don't second guess their fanbase.

How they do? I really don't care unless they face my team.

Anyway lay off, it's just one game. And no one is gonna give Skip Holtz credit cause he doesn't coach a sexy team.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:47 PM

1,815 posts, read 1,757,956 times
Actually I think Notre Dame fandom has been pretty realistic the last few years----you can sense their frustration in the plight of the program.

I am not an ND fan---being from Wisconsin the Chicago media always went out of their way to promote them.

ND has always been the darling----much like the Yankees, Lakers or Celtics, Cowboys, or others-----they have been the program to set the pace in college football.

The landscape in college football has changed, as has the balance of power and the Irish have suffered, even though they still have their own national television network.

They still recruit fairly well, but the total product just hasnt come together the last 10 years or so. They need to stay with Kelly for at least five years or so ------I think he will eventually recruit a top notch quarterback and they will put it together and make Rudy happy again.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:49 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,770,440 times
Oh yea, please they will be back. They have too much to be otherwise.

It's just that everyone thinks the world is ending cause they lost a game. It's not like they were in the running for the Natty or anything.

Anyway you know how it is, no body really knows what their team is about until Mid October.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:30 PM

123 posts, read 179,643 times
its not notre dame fans, its the media with their constant talk about notre dame running the tables on a weak schedule and getting into a bcs bowl. notre dame is still living off of the success they had during WWII. none of these high school kids or any of their current players for that matter, were alive the last time notre dame was truly relevant in the national title discussion. the amount of hype this team gets from the media is unreal.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:42 AM

2,818 posts, read 5,816,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOWN_REPRESENTA View Post
its not notre dame fans, its the media with their constant talk about notre dame running the tables on a weak schedule and getting into a bcs bowl. notre dame is still living off of the success they had during WWII. none of these high school kids or any of their current players for that matter, were alive the last time notre dame was truly relevant in the national title discussion. the amount of hype this team gets from the media is unreal.
Couldn't be more right, in the time I've watched college football, they've done nothing to justify their constant hype up of being a potential BCS Bowl team.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:46 AM

3,528 posts, read 5,160,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOWN_REPRESENTA View Post
wow , I feel as if the media is anything but for ND.

I would love to see them at the top of the pack again.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:36 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,271,863 times
Media always hypes ND every year. The reality is USF has been a better program than ND for a while now. Not much of an upset.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:18 PM

123 posts, read 179,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Media always hypes ND every year. The reality is USF has been a better program than ND for a while now. Not much of an upset.
that's what i was thinking the entire game. everybody kept talking about upset, but i was thinking, ok, ND is overrated amd USF is an above average team. how is that an upset?

Old 09-08-2011, 05:45 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,083,327 times
Because his teams never played the Domers, Woody Hayes used to urge potential recruits to go to Notre Dame if they weren't interested in Ohio State because he worried they'd end up at Michigan.

I grew up in Cincinnati, where Notre Dame practically got treated like a local team given the city's strong Catholic background
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football