U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2013, 04:44 AM

2,043 posts, read 2,438,869 times

Advertisements

Nebraska should fire Pelini.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 12:09 PM

590 posts, read 665,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
Texas fan here. I watched that game and dont be down Husker fans. UCLA is just that good. Yeah there is room for improvement on your defense but at least your not a Texas fan You have a decent qb unlike us at Texas

In the end your gonna be better than Texas O btw at least the new expanded eastside stands looks great!!
If the problem only happened in the UCLA game, then Husker fans could chalk it up to UCLA being a special team. However, complete collapses of the defense has become a pattern for the past few years. When they lose, they usually lose by giving up 600 yards and 50+ points. Four years ago, Nebraska's great defensive teams were coached by Pelini, but the top players were recruited by Coach Callahan. After Callahan's players moved on, the defense nosedived with Pelini's recruits.

I'm not for or against the Huskers, but from my point of view, it seems that Pelini simply isn't able to recruit the types of players he needs for his defensive scheme.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:40 PM

852 posts, read 1,199,134 times
It seems that Pelini is over his head as a Head Coach. He's one of those guys that is a great coordinator but not much more. It's a matter of time before he is fired and then he'll re-surface as a D coordinator somewhere else likely back in the NFL.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:16 AM

The Husker offense looked really good without Taylor Martinez. As dynamic a playmaker as Martinez is, it makes you wonder if Kellogg would have been a more fundamentally sound player. It makes me wonder how many games this team would have won had they not been subjected to Martinez's bad decisions and turnovers the last few years. It's also safe to say they probably would have lost a few without his play making abilities but still, it makes you wonder if Bo made the right call four years ago.

Either way, I am excited about the future with Tommy Alexander. He has a good arm and can run the option better than any NU QB in there recent past.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:27 PM

977 posts, read 1,633,448 times
Tommy Armstrong looks great. He's fast, and he's stronger and a better passer than Martinez. I think he has the potential to be another incarnation of Tommie Frazier. Imani Cross is developing into potentially a great running back with speed and power. I love the future of the offense. I don't have much hope for the defense in the near future unless there are systemic changes. It's been the same old tired BS the last several years as the defense has continued to get worse. No backfield pressure...inability to create turnovers...constantly giving up 3rd and long conversions...uncovered receivers, especially in the middle of the field...poor tackling...etc. It's getting hard to watch, and even harder to listen to Pelini's spin explaining it after the game.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:34 AM

Nebraska played a pretty good game yesterday against Illinois and it even looks like the defense is improving. Good thing they still have games against Purdue and Minnesota before playing Northwestern. I am a little more optimistic than I was a few weeks ago. I'll reserve judgement on Pelini until after the season ends.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:31 AM

As Taylor's turf toe problem persists, it looks like we'll see more of Armstrong and Kellogg today. At this point, I'm not sure that we even need to play Kellogg. Armstrong has shown that he is capable of being "the man" while Taylor is sidelined. It will be interesting to see how he plays on the road for the first time even if it is against a bad Purdue team.

At some point, though, Taylor will return and I hope it's not for the Northwestern game. Ideally, he'll return for Minnesota so he can get the rust out.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:39 AM

Armstrong did his best to make me look bad yesterday. Maybe my post above was a little presumptuous. I guess that's why they pay Tim Beck and not me.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:20 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,022,778 times
Looks like I will be making the trip north from Austin to watch my Ducks play the Huskers in 2016 (as we have set up a home-home series with you). I hope by then we still have Scott Frost as our O-Coordinator and not facing him as head coach of y'all -haha. I have only driven through Lincoln, but I have always heard the fans are amazing. This will be more than likely the first time my daughter will see the Ducks in person. She will only be 4 by then but you can't be any worse than LSU fans- they were rough.

I am sure I will be back asking about good places to eat and drink- and things for kids.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:58 PM

977 posts, read 1,633,448 times
I might have to go up for that one as well. Pelini better get the defense fixed within the next 4 years, or it won't be something I would care to watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football