Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 04:08 PM

977 posts, read 1,956,497 times

Advertisements

I don't think Kill will leave, and at this point it was only a rumor. I know Florida is sending people to Ft Collins to talk to McElwain already, so if Nebraska is interested they better move quick.
I'm getting tired of media clowns talking down the Nebraska job like it's second rate. There's a reason it has the history it does, and it's not because assclowns like Tony Kornheiser and other go on TV and tell potential candidates how bad it is or that Nebraska is delusional. It certainly seems like they're trying their hardest to discourage people, and it's not going to help matters any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 04:15 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
I don't think Kill will leave, and at this point it was only a rumor. I know Florida is sending people to Ft Collins to talk to McElwain already, so if Nebraska is interested they better move quick.
I'm getting tired of media clowns talking down the Nebraska job like it's second rate. There's a reason it has the history it does, and it's not because assclowns like Tony Kornheiser and other go on TV and tell potential candidates how bad it is or that Nebraska is delusional. It certainly seems like they're trying their hardest to discourage people, and it's not going to help matters any.
I'm pretty sure you can scratch McElwain off the Huskers list. This is apparently his 2nd face-to-face meeting with Florida. He met with them secretly during the bye week before the New Mexico game. Sucks because CSU was just starting to get some traction. Now the Rams have an interim AD looking for a new football coach. I hope CSU doesn't negotiate McElwain's buyout. Make the Gators eat every last penny of it.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:37 PM

852 posts, read 1,357,524 times
I would hope that any prospective head coach for Nebraska doesn't get their career advice from an ESPN television personality. And if they do, they can take the next job.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:26 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
I'm surprised that Nebraska fans aren't clamoring for Patterson at TCU. He's originally a Midwestern guy (Kansas I believe) and he has great ties to the state of Texas and its exceptional recruits.

Is he just not a big enough coach? Does Osborn not want to pay to get an established coach like Patterson? I think he would be a great fit for either Nebraska or even Michigan.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:28 PM

The rumors are that they are willing to pay something in the neighborhood of 5 million per so I don't think it's the money. I have read his name as a possibility but hard to bebelieve he would leave TCU for NU.

The hot rumor now is Brett Bielema even though he is denying it. It makes sense given his connection to Eichorst and Barry Alvarez.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:12 PM

977 posts, read 1,956,497 times
I'd be more than happy if they could lure Patterson away from TCU. Or Art Briles from Baylor, but I haven't heard anything on that front. I'd be shocked if they could get Bielema from Arkansas. Why would he leave Wisconsin for the SEC, then go right back to the Big 10?

Old 12-03-2014, 07:11 PM

Cash and a rerelatively easy path to the Big Ten championship game each year.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:22 AM

Wow. I did not see the hire of Mike Riley coming. My initial thought was like everyone else's.... terrible hire! After a little more thought, it may not be so bad. If my memory is correct, he was a hot commodity a few years ago but decided to stay at Oregon State. He has struggled recently which I'm sure can be attributed to Oregon's success and proximity. Combined with a lack of resources at Oregon State and I am hoping the move will allow him to take the next step. After all, he will playing arguably weaker competition and have better resources. If it works out it will be a genius move by Eichorst. If not, he will be gone in 3-4 years.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:29 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Lol, really Nebraska, Mike Riley!? I remember when Nebraska was one of the elite teams in college football. That 95 is still the best college football team I've ever seen. And now you have to settle for Mike Riley?

Old 12-04-2014, 02:41 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Lol, really Nebraska, Mike Riley!? I remember when Nebraska was one of the elite teams in college football. That 95 is still the best college football team I've ever seen. And now you have to settle for Mike Riley?
It's a head-scratcher for sure.

With so many excellent coaches at mid-tier programs on the rise (I mentioned Patterson earlier in the thread) as well as a bevy of young coordinators, Mike Riley just seems kind of unimpressive. He's a little bit older too, I think I heard on the radio that he's 61. That seems a bit old and, to me, it means that Riley won't get much time to turn things around.

For whatever reason the Nebraska AD's love guys with NFL experience (Riley was with the Chargers a few years) like Callahan.

I don't know if these guys really get Nebraska's tradition. I'm surprised that Nebraska didn't try to get a coach with ties to Tejas for recruiting. Interesting hire for sure. We'll have to wait and see what he can get done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football