U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 02:53 PM

1,815 posts, read 1,761,229 times

Advertisements

If feasable based on conference agreements and codes-----Florida State to the SEC and Texas to the ACC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 02:55 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,415,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
how do you figure?

How about you tell me how you figure they WILL? They clearly state why the will not, and I am in complete agreement... so you tell me how they will?

Old 09-15-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
when I add Florida State, Maryland or NC State, it treats it like a major victory for the SEC. Interesting idea but i think these people are a little bit off.

I didnt get that from the response for FSU, Maryland, or NC State... Yea Maryland added a good TV Market and FSU added a great TV asset.. But the problems from raiding the ACC would cause between the SEC and ACC outway the benefit in what i read. In addition the SEC who is already looked down upon by the rest of the country because they are tops would be killed publicly basically making them an outkast. ;-)

Last edited by Mr. GE; 09-15-2011 at 03:12 PM..

Old 09-15-2011, 03:15 PM

22,341 posts, read 32,192,195 times
This seems to force certain situations. I still think TX and ND could find themselves in the Big Ten and this simulation doesnt seem to allow for it

Old 09-15-2011, 04:11 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,948,009 times
During this whole process, I just envisioned a giant spinwheel with the top 100 teams in country. ESPN spins the wheel and that is the latest team with potential going to X conference.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:35 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,771,940 times
Meh, even though UVA will still come out ok on all this. This stuff is just depressing.

Why don't Schools just end the charade and form an NCAA Premier League of sorts. The top 20 teams break off and form their own league with their own MASSIVE TV deals, then the rest of the schools are set into their own divisions under it. If a school does really well it can move up into a new division. The media only cares about 20 or so teams in football anyway and no one wants to let smaller schools in on the party. So quit fronting.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:41 PM

8,345 posts, read 14,113,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
First off MSU has been in the SEC... SC is new not Mississippi State.

The purpose of expanding is the to get bigger TV contracts. the SEC splits the TV money evenly. What u have already is what you already have. Its like omce ur in ur in... I realize every school in the SEC doesn meet meet that requirement now but Sorry but thats the reality. So therefore If u add schools NOW they must generate MORE on the TV deal. And WV, VA Tech, & Clemson will not. Period... only Maryland, Missouri, or FSU will.

What's so hard to understand that this is about Money meaning TV deals

In addition, the reason it stops at 14 is because both authors have stated they dont believe the any conferences are going to 16 ESPECIALLY the SEC because they do not have financially viable options. Hence the TV market options
Never said anything about Ms State or SC being new or not being new. Just pointing out that the SEC in considered the top conference in the nation with such media hotbeds as Columbia, SC; Starkville, Fayetteville, and Oxford. That's all.

Missouri? Why is Mizzou all of a sudden everyone's darling in this? Kansas City is Jayhawk territory, and STL only marginally cares about the Tigers. If Mizzou is such a grand catch, why didn't the B1G take Mizzou instead of Nebraska? Mizzou was (allegedly) begging for an invite, yet the sparsely populated Nebraska was the pick. Was the B1G going after that coveted Omaha market?

I get that conferences are after TV money. There is no need for you to talk down to us.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Never said anything about Ms State or SC being new or not being new. Just pointing out that the SEC in considered the top conference in the nation with such media hotbeds as Columbia, SC; Starkville, Fayetteville, and Oxford. That's all.
Your reference to the time period made it seem like you were comparing SC and MSU... that's why i went there. thanks for clarifying. (see below)

Quote:
However, over time, places like Starkville MS and Columbia SC have done little to damage the SEC.
As I stated a few posts ago... All of the non-existent TV markets you mentioned below are in the clubhouse so they dont have to meet the NEW requirements of offering a large TV market to get in the SEC. So again, if you cant bring a new market so they can do a new TV contract now, why would they want to make their piece of the pie smaller for you?

Quote:
Missouri? Why is Mizzou all of a sudden everyone's darling in this? Kansas City is Jayhawk territory, and STL only marginally cares about the Tigers. If Mizzou is such a grand catch, why didn't the B1G take Mizzou instead of Nebraska? Mizzou was (allegedly) begging for an invite, yet the sparsely populated Nebraska was the pick. Was the B1G going after that coveted Omaha market?
Mizzou is not all of sudden a darling in any shape or form... They are not the SEC's first (Oklahoma), second (Florida State), or third (Maryland) choices. They offer the next largest TV market after those 3 choices and would be the easiest to assimilate into the SEC culture with minimal backlash. The SEC does not REALLY want them but in order to equal things out they may not have a choice but to look Mizzou...

Quote:
I get that conferences are after TV money. There is no need for you to talk down to us.
Well, it wasnt meant that way. So I'm sorry you feel that way but I can't help how you take things...

How does that saying go... something something, its "90% how you react to it?"

Old 09-15-2011, 07:07 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,999,418 times
I thnik if texas went it would be to the Pac 10. But I think perhaps nt nopw with what happened to USC clouding that conference. Certainly the SEC and the PAC would like to load the deck to contimue to have their campion be in top frequently. lso right now texas and Notre Dame have too sweet a deals to give up by a change tho.One has to remmeber that the overall program has to be looked at ;not just football.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:32 PM

3,458 posts, read 3,114,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
How about you tell me how you figure they WILL?
Because it is your claim to justify, not mine. I don't think you, or the people who wrote this little thing, are qualified to determine who would be the biggest asset to the SEC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football