U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 10:04 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,415,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
This seems to force certain situations. I still think TX and ND could find themselves in the Big Ten and this simulation doesnt seem to allow for it
TX to the big 12... *cough* I mean big 10 is not something I have heard from any writers. Wouldn't the BTN pretty much null & void this move... As Texas can't keep their LHN... I don't see the Big 10 as a player in anything unless OK goes to the SEC, which is probably not gonna happen. If that does happens... The Big 10 will then possibly raid the Big 12 to keep up with SEC to make 14. Mizzou & Kansas the most likely candidates then not TX & Notre Dame as they won't be interested. But more than likely the Big 10 will look to the Big East schools as they make more academic sense. Think Pitt or Rutgers.

I don't see Notre Dame going to ANY conference unless 4 sixteen team conferences are created and they all succeed from the NCAA/BCS and create their own playoff and FORCE Notre Dame to be a part of a conference to get in the playoff... Otherwise they are staying Indy.

I think TX is either Big 12 remains, Indy, ACC, or PAC 12... the ONLY way they go to Big 10 is OK going SEC and Notre Dame goes to big 10 first and is allowed to keep their individual tv deal, thus setting a precedent for them to keep theirs... None of which I see happening.

Last edited by Mr. GE; 09-15-2011 at 10:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 05:06 AM

3,458 posts, read 3,113,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Have u made any valid points one way or the other...

I didn't realize everyone on a public forum needed "credentials" to offer opinions...
(edit) it helps to have some explanation of why you think Maryland or Missouri brings more to the SEC than Virginia Tech or Clemson does. (edit)

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 09-16-2011 at 07:22 AM..

Old 09-16-2011, 07:24 AM

16,531 posts, read 20,986,524 times
A reminder here to keep it civil- no flaming,or trolling, or accusations of either of these.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:52 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,415,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
(edit) it helps to have some explanation of why you think Maryland or Missouri brings more to the SEC than Virginia Tech or Clemson does. (edit)
Since we have been regulated, lets play nice.

First off I don't think ANY of them are ideal... It's like picking the avg girl out of a room full of ugly ones.

Mizzou is the best choice in this bunch because of
1) There will be no backlash for taking an ACC school
2) They have top tv market
3) Academically they are sound... not great but sound
4) They have the size, enough alumni and infrustructure to assimilate into the SEC culture although they do not fit now. But once in they will adapt.

Maryland is the next best choice because
1) They have a top tv market
2) Good academics
3) Great Basketball program (the next most profitable sport)

VA Tech is next because
1) Good Football program
2) Good Academics

Clemson does not offer anything. They don't offer TV and their program is vastly overrated. They have decent academics but that is all...

Based on the above... VA Tech & Clemson would not help the SEC secure a NEW and much bigger TV deal in the immediate future. This means that the schools would have to split what they already have which would make their cut smaller with no potential to get more in sight. Sure in 10-20 years VA Tech & Clemson could become such national powerhouses that would warrant a bigger TV deal but that's a BIG risk to take and a long time to dilute your guaranteed money for these schools.

Mizzou would make it more of a surer bet. In addition, Mizzou could also become a national power just as the other va tech & clemson could be. Its just smarter money to go with them given those choices. Same for Maryland but again less likely. Maryland, VA Tech, & Clemson are all ACC schools as well... raiding that conference is not a public relations hit the SEC wants to take unless it has a sure fire bet as in Florida State. That's the only school the SEC wants to raid the ACC for...

Look, if this werent about money and just football... I think the SEC should get VA Tech over everyone except FSU & Oklahoma. I have always been a fan VA Tech and Beamer. I think the VA area would be good for recruiting in the SEC. But...

after weighing the TV Markets and backlash of grabbing them which in turn affects longterm stability of the conference, i think its a bad move for the SEC. I don't think it would kill the SEC if they did grab them either. I just think its a better move to grab Mizzou.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football