Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 12:14 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,256 times

Advertisements

A couple of sports bloggers created a Conference Realignment game for college football... See how ur scenario plays out?

After playing I changed my mind about who the 14th team in the SEC should be... Missouri is definitely my choice now. Because VA Tech created problems and didn't add any money value or TV market.

Conference Realignment – Choose Your Own Adventure Style! «
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 12:27 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,445 times
I made the mistake of picking West Virginia for the SEC.

Maryland provides an interesting scenario.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:41 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
I added West Virginia to the SEC and this is what I was told:

In choosing to admit a university that does nothing to improve the economic or academic stature of the SEC, the conference begins distributing less and less money annually to its member institutions as its revenue pie is divided into smaller shares. As a result of this, the SEC falls behind the Big Ten, Pac-14 and ACC in facilities and coaching salaries arms race. The brand value of the SEC declines and the Commissioner is fired in disgrace.

This is an interesting site, but to say the SEC somehow falls behind the B1G, Pac-14, and ACC because WVU is added causes me to wonder about the credibility of the people that put this together.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post

In choosing to admit a university that does nothing to improve the economic or academic stature of the SEC, the conference begins distributing less and less money annually to its member institutions as its revenue pie is divided into smaller shares. As a result of this, the SEC falls behind the Big Ten, Pac-14 and ACC in facilities and coaching salaries arms race. The brand value of the SEC declines and the Commissioner is fired in disgrace.

This is an interesting site, but to say the SEC somehow falls behind the B1G, Pac-14, and ACC because WVU is added causes me to wonder about the credibility of the people that put this together.
Really??? It does the opposite for me. Specially reading why...

In choosing to admit a university that does nothing to improve the economic or academic stature of the SEC, the conference begins distributing less and less money annually to its member institutions as its revenue pie is divided into smaller shares.

I don't think they mean immediately... They mean over time. Like a decade. And that reason above would be a good reason. Of course this based on the other conferences GAINING Economic & academic stature with their
expansions.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:38 PM

The most interesting part is if you only admit Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to the Pac-12. The scenarios really open up in deciding what happens to everyone else in the Big 12.

I love what happens if you decide to add Notre Dame to the Big 10.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:54 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Really??? It does the opposite for me. Specially reading why...

In choosing to admit a university that does nothing to improve the economic or academic stature of the SEC, the conference begins distributing less and less money annually to its member institutions as its revenue pie is divided into smaller shares.

I don't think they mean immediately... They mean over time. Like a decade. And that reason above would be a good reason. Of course this based on the other conferences GAINING Economic & academic stature with their
expansions.
Of course they mean over time. However, over time, places like Starkville MS and Columbia SC have done little to damage the SEC. Should the SEC add West Virginia and Texas A&M, who is the B1G and ACC going to add to pass the SEC? Missouri? Louisville? Pittsburgh?

If we are heading in the direction of four 16 team conferences, why does West Virginia to the SEC hurt the SEC? And why does this website's game stop at 14 and not project further to the end? Furthermore, if the Pac-12 expands to 16 (which they did in my scenario), how exactly is a 14 team SEC splitting its pie more thin than the Pac-16?

Old 09-15-2011, 01:58 PM

The ND to Big 10 scenario is a little hard to get to, so here's what happens:

Psych! Notre Dame isn't joining a conference. Big Ten humiliated by Irish once again. Commissioner fired in disgrace.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:35 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,568 times
Quote:

exactly, i added Clemson and Virginia Tech and it told me basically the same thing. However, when I add Florida State, Maryland or NC State, it treats it like a major victory for the SEC. Interesting idea but i think these people are a little bit off.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Of course they mean over time. However, over time, places like Starkville MS and Columbia SC have done little to damage the SEC. Should the SEC add West Virginia and Texas A&M, who is the B1G and ACC going to add to pass the SEC? Missouri? Louisville? Pittsburgh?

If we are heading in the direction of four 16 team conferences, why does West Virginia to the SEC hurt the SEC? And why does this website's game stop at 14 and not project further to the end? Furthermore, if the Pac-12 expands to 16 (which they did in my scenario), how exactly is a 14 team SEC splitting its pie more thin than the Pac-16?

First off MSU has been in the SEC... SC is new not Mississippi State.

The purpose of expanding is the to get bigger TV contracts. the SEC splits the TV money evenly. What u have already is what you already have. Its like omce ur in ur in... I realize every school in the SEC doesn meet meet that requirement now but Sorry but thats the reality. So therefore If u add schools NOW they must generate MORE on the TV deal. And WV, VA Tech, & Clemson will not. Period... only Maryland, Missouri, or FSU will.

What's so hard to understand that this is about Money meaning TV deals

In addition, the reason it stops at 14 is because both authors have stated they dont believe the any conferences are going to 16 ESPECIALLY the SEC because they do not have financially viable options. Hence the TV market options

Old 09-15-2011, 02:53 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
And WV, VA Tech, & Clemson will not. Period... only Maryland, Missouri, or FSU will.
how do you figure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football