U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 11:14 PM

788 posts, read 1,388,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The presidents of the Atlantic Coast Conference voted Saturday morning to accept Syracuse and Pittsburgh to the league, according to an official in the ACC. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because the league has not announced the move.

The ACC has scheduled a news media teleconference Sunday at 9:30 a.m., ET ostensibly to discuss the expansion, but no details were given.
Though news of Pitt and Syracuse's defection caught most of college athletics by surprise, the league has had discussions about expansion for the last year and the move was accelerated when Texas A&M announced its intention to join the Southeastern Conference last month, according to the official.

The move would make the ACC a 14-team conference and certainly lead to speculation that the era of 16-team super conferences is about to arrive. The ACC also has not closed off its options about adding two other East Coast teams, depending on how the expansion dominoes fall in other leagues. Connecticut and Rutgers would be the candidates, the official said.

Syracuse and Pitt must give the Big East 27 months notice of their departure and pay a $5 million exit fee. Last week, in a regularly scheduled meeting ACC presidents unanimously approved raising their exit fee to $20 million - up from about $13 million - for any member leaving the conference. There has been speculation about the SEC's interest in Florida State. However, it appears FSU will stay put given Florida State president Eric Barron's stated commitment to the league and his vote for the pricey exit fee.

One official in the Big East, also requesting anonymity, said there was word about Syracuse and Pitt heading to the ACC three weeks ago. With the departure, the Big East is down to seven football schools, including Texas Christian, which joins the conference next year. News of the Big East's possible unraveling came on the heels of the death of its founder, Dave Gavitt, who died Friday night after a long illness.

More changes are expected based on the next move of several schools in the Big 12. The board of regents at Oklahoma and Texas are meeting Monday to discuss the possibility of the universities leaving that conference. Texas also made a pitch to the ACC, according to an official in the ACC.

After being silent all day, Big East Commissioner John Marinatto issued a statement late Saturday night:

"Although I was obviously very disappointed to learn the news about the ACC's being in discussions about membership with the University of Pittsburgh and Syracuse University, I continue to believe the Big East Conference is well positioned for the future and that the events of the past 24 hours will unify our membership. We have been working steadily to solidify and strengthen the Big East Conference and position us for our upcoming TV negotiations and I am confident that we will again emerge from this situation and remain strong."

The New York Times first reported news of the talks involving the ACC on Friday, and CBSSports.com first reported Saturday the schools had filed applications with the ACC.
In Louisville, Cardinals athletic director Tom Jurich said he initially doubted the schools were leaving.
"I didn't believe it because Pittsburgh was involved, and I didn't see where the value (is) they would bring to that league at all," he told the Louisville Courier-Journal. "That's no slap at Pittsburgh. I just couldn't see where that fit was."

In addition, Jurich said he was surprised because Pitt's chancellor, Mark Nordenberg, is chair of the Big East executive committee: "He was keeping everybody together and asking everybody to be unified. I think everybody trusted him."
Cincinnati president Greg Williams said his school remains committed to the Big East. "The Big East is a viable organization," Williams said. "I think they can survive. Syracuse and Pitt are great schools, but the Big East is a strong conference."

That does not mean he isn't surveying the landscape.
"We're always trying to get information about what's going on. We're not trying to jump to another conference. We're committed to the Big East. We think the Big East is a great conference, one that's really right for us. That's what we're committed to and hopefully that will be able to continue. If not, we're still going to be (well) situated because we're a strong athletic and academic program."

Contributing: Louisville Courier-Journal, Cincinnati Enquirer
ACC has already approved addition of Pittsburgh, Syracuse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 11:23 PM

1,819 posts, read 1,780,481 times
Suddenly the Acc appears to a place to be for aspiring programs.

Firsty, rumors that Texas may wind up there and now this.

I can see the Acc going to 16 teams------I can see Pitt, Syracuse, maybe Louisville,and one other school going ACC.

With the explosive dynamics now involved in conference realignment, I dont think anybody really knows how this is all going to shake out.

It appears this is becoming a free for all----everybody is going for the pie-----with the fiscal situation of schools, I can understand----but in a way it is killing the pure joy of college atheletics and college football.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:28 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,183,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtX4415 View Post
Wow. Does the ACC conduct all business in a bunker?

Old 09-18-2011, 12:58 AM

788 posts, read 1,388,327 times
this is going to get real interesting
Quote:
@PeteThamelNYT Pete Thamel
Just filed to the NYT a story about Congress taking interest in realignment. Congressman told me involvement "may be unavoidable.
Sad to see rivalries put aside due to money.

Quote:

As he’d spent the previous few days putting what should prove to be the finishing touches on his school’s escape route to the Atlantic Coast Conference, Daryl Gross could be excused for having been a bit distracted out this way on Saturday night.
It was halftime at the Los Angeles Coliseum and his Syracuse University Orange was trailing the fabled Southern California Trojans by a couple of touchdowns in front of a crowd of 65,873 that had gathered beneath the San Gabriel Mountains ... and, well, Gross had a beef.

“We have our fans here and we’re obviously showing them that we can play football with these guys,” he said. “But I don’t like those Pac-12 referees. I never liked them. I didn’t like them when I was here.”

At that point, the SU athletic director — the one who’d wandered into our community from USC seven years ago and had granted himself a kind of homecoming by scheduling this intercoastal affair — was told that the fellas tossing the laundry down there on the field were from the Big East Conference. And that thought served as a bit of a bolo punch.
“OK, now I’m really ticked,” Gross said. “Maybe they think something’s going on, too.”

Indeed, something is going on. Syracuse, nestled only a couple of hours from the Canadian border, is about to defect to a league filled with clubs from Florida and Georgia, from South Carolina and North Carolina, from Virginia and Maryland. That Massachusetts (Boston College) and, reportedly, Pennsylvania (fellow projected newbie Pittsburgh) will also be represented merely softens, rather than removes, the geographical absurdity of the Orange heading south.

“If you want to make Syracuse something that can compete with USC and you’re operating with less resources, that’s very hard to do,” declared Gross before settling in to watch the rest of the mismatched Orange’s eventual 38-17 loss to the unbeaten Trojans. “So you have to figure out how you’re going to have sustainability. We have to do what’s best for this institution, whether it’s popular or unpopular or whatever. You have to put yourself in the best position.”

No, Daryl did not declare that the Orange, a charter member of the Big East, is absolutely, positively leaving the conference whose football has been ridiculed by even your maiden aunt and whose basketball has bloated beyond reasonable recognition over the years. But he did drop enough bread crumbs — make that, entire loaves — to lead to this inescapable conclusion:

SU. Is. Gone. And the official announcement to that effect might be made as early as Sunday by the ACC’s pooh-bahs, obviously godless souls who — church be darned — have scheduled some kind of media briefing for this very morning.

“You’re going to see a lot of announcements coming up all over the country. This is moving at light speed. People are positioning themselves. There are conferences that are being assertive. So as an institution, you better be assertive, too. It almost turns into a game of musical chairs. You don’t want to be positioned where there isn’t a chair.”

Like nearly everybody else out there on the wild frontier that has become collegiate sports, Gross seems only too willing to ignore the logic of a map and hesitates not at all when considering the trampling of tradition. But even if Daryl was otherwise inclined, how would his shaking a fist on the shore stop the tide from rolling in? This is a man, simply, who has found himself in Rome and has chosen to act like a Roman.

Thus, the inevitable sales pitch soon to be served with your breakfast danish: All those happy basketball memories of SU-vs.-Georgetown and SU-vs.-Connecticut and SU-vs.-Villanova will fade and inevitably give way to those replacement wonders theoretically created by SU-vs.-Duke and SU-vs.-North Carolina and SU-vs.-Clemson.

And why? Because football, the perceived god of each aspiring athletic department, demands that all kneel before its massive altar. Because football, and the money it can command from all those networks with all those wheelbarrows filled with money, is as golden as a goose can get.

“This isn’t about good, bad or ugly,” Gross insisted. “It’s what’s necessary. TV has gotten complicated and sophisticated. The dollars have gotten really, really large. Everybody is trying to make sure they have the resources to run their programs.

“If Syracuse University is going to be a BCS, big-time football program you can’t just say, ‘Oh, we’ll keep doing what we’re doing, and we’ll be fine. And we’ll hope for the best because we’re Syracuse.’ You have to be able to brand yourself so you can recruit and be attractive to TV. All those things go into the pot and have to be considered.”

And so, they have. And so, the Orange is about to acquire a twang. And so, the Big East, the poor thing, is soon to look like that skunk off to the side of the road.
Tell the neighbors.
Poliquin: Syracuse University's shift to Atlantic Coast Conference appears all but done | syracuse.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football