U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 05:04 AM

5,093 posts, read 6,856,581 times

Advertisements

Ok, hold up one second! If anybody was going to cause the Big East to break up I would have figured it to be WVU, but Syracuse and Pittsburgh are making me really nervous. If they go then it is over for the BE. I thought that the conference would stay together and grow reguardless of what everybody else is doing. Where does this leave the rest of the BE? WVU has already be in the talk for the SEC, but the other 5 teams, plus TCU need new homes now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 02:11 PM

788 posts, read 1,379,292 times
TCU Made a huge mistake by joining the Big East which has been an unstable conference for a decade. Don't be surprised if this turns into 1994 all over again for TCU.

Quote:
Pitt announcement on joining ACC expected soon
Saturday, September 17, 2011
By Paul Zeise, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Post-Gazette has learned that Pitt will move from the Big East to the ACC and that an announcement could come as soon as today.

Pitt's stance has consistently been that the school would like to preserve the Big East but that changed this summer when athletic director Steve Pederson made it clear that the school wanted a 12-team football conference.

Pederson, as well as West Virginia athletic director Oliver Luck, also made it clear they were losing faith in Big East commissioner John Marinatto because they believe he wasn't being proactive enough.

ESPN has reported that Oklahoma regents are meeting Monday to discuss the school's affiliation with the Big 12 and if the school decides to leave the conference, the conference is likely to fall apart.

And that could trigger a number of other moves across the country, including expansion of the ACC, Pac 12 and SEC.

Current, the ACC's 12 member schools are Boston College, Clemson, Duke, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Miami, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Virginia, Virginia Tech and Wake Forest.
Pitt announcement on joining ACC expected soon

Old 09-17-2011, 05:26 PM

1,640 posts, read 4,228,532 times
Pitt and Cuse are as good as gone. You don't apply without knowing that you're accepted.

Not sure what happens to the BE, probably some sort of weird geographical mishmash with the remnants of the BigXII.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:39 PM

3,675 posts, read 7,840,369 times
I don't like any of this... They are ruining the Big East and ruining my beloved ACC. I'm still not used to having BC, Va Tech and Miami in the ACC, this is nuts!

Old 09-17-2011, 07:40 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,143,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Pitt and Cuse are as good as gone. You don't apply without knowing that you're accepted.

Not sure what happens to the BE, probably some sort of weird geographical mishmash with the remnants of the BigXII.

Would this include hoops? This could be the beggining of the end for the Big East - or they potentially become just the Catholic League in hoops -maybe they can convince Uconn to become catholic for hoops

Old 09-17-2011, 07:46 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,944,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Would this include hoops? This could be the beggining of the end for the Big East - or they potentially become just the Catholic League in hoops -maybe they can convince Uconn to become catholic for hoops
If they are accepted, then yes all sports would go. This would be the only benefit to taking them competitionwise.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:48 PM

7,529 posts, read 6,146,907 times
I'm a Cuse basketball fan, and I mixed feelings about the move. I live in NC so games against NC and Duke will be great, but the ACC is very top heavy there are a bunch of also rans. the Big East is a meat grinder

I'd prefer it if the Cuse stay in the big east

Old 09-17-2011, 07:51 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,143,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
I'm a Cuse basketball fan, and I mixed feelings about the move. I live in NC so games against NC and Duke will be great, but the ACC is very top heavy there are a bunch of also rans. the Big East is a meat grinder

I'd prefer it if the Cuse stay in the big east

Not sure what to think. Am a huge Big East hoops fan, it is a meatgrinder and both these teams have been very good of late (Cuse is basically always good/very good), and the Cuse is to me (with UConn, Gtown, and Nova) the historic core; would be personally sad for me to see this happen

Old 09-17-2011, 08:03 PM

7,218 posts, read 8,232,213 times
As a fan of an ACC team I would just like to say....

...... No.

That is all.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:14 PM

1,367 posts, read 2,916,460 times
Funny how this happens right when the ACC raises its exit fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football