U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 11:47 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,766,354 times

Advertisements

Missouri would a much better fit in the big ten----a better geographical and academic fit.

Natural rivalries with Iowa and Illinois to start off, plus the I have to believe the big ten would be happy to have the St. Louis market.

I dont know why the big ten hasnt jumped on Missouri-----the rumors about Rutgers?????

Columbia is a great college town and would add to the aura of Ann Arbor, Madison, State College, and Now Lincoln,Neb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 12:11 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,242,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
Missouri would a much better fit in the big ten----a better geographical and academic fit.
Not to mention a cultural one.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:47 AM

543 posts, read 728,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
The Big Ten is a better fit for Missouri culturally, and not just because of the way the universities conduct themselves. Missouri is more geographically removed from the SEC than from the Big Ten, and regionally is a better fit for the states in those conferences. With the same respect, I think Kansas should join the Big Ten. Oklahoma should either join the Big Ten or I'd say the SEC because geographically that's a better fit. Same for Texas. Iowa State obviously should join the Big Ten.
Oklahoma is futher west than Missouri and further from the southeast.

Makes no sense Texas being SEC also. LOL

Old 09-26-2011, 09:51 AM

Big ten includes states like MN, IL, IA, WI. All far more northern states that MO is.

Even Indiana and Ohio are different. Only the very very southern part of IN has southern in it, Ohio has little at all. None of the big ten states have anywhere near the southern influence Missouri has. If it was my way I'd have a conference with MO, AR, OK, TX since excluding Arkansas, all those states seem to have cultural identity crises. Texas taking on more southern western in modern times, parts of OK are midwest, southern, and south western, and then Missouri which is different depending on what area of the state you're in.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:04 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,976,047 times
Columbia isn't one iota southern. Not even a little bit, so I have no idea what your point is. Ever been there?

Old 09-26-2011, 10:49 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,912,360 times
It's a football conference onegoal for crying out loud, Not a reflection of a state's culture. Good grief.... Drop the ridiculous crap trying to hijack every thread and turn it into a discussion about how southern you think Missouri is.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:28 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,812,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
It's a football conference onegoal for crying out loud, Not a reflection of a state's culture. Good grief.... Drop the ridiculous crap trying to hijack every thread and turn it into a discussion about how southern you think Missouri is.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
Big ten includes states like MN, IL, IA, WI. All far more northern states that MO is.

Even Indiana and Ohio are different. Only the very very southern part of IN has southern in it, Ohio has little at all. None of the big ten states have anywhere near the southern influence Missouri has. If it was my way I'd have a conference with MO, AR, OK, TX since excluding Arkansas, all those states seem to have cultural identity crises. Texas taking on more southern western in modern times, parts of OK are midwest, southern, and south western, and then Missouri which is different depending on what area of the state you're in.
lol. Southern Illinois and Southern Ohio have obvious southern influences.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post

Arkansas has no identity crisis. It is without a doubt Southern. Oklahoma and Texas are beyond debate culturally Southern as well. Missouri, as you've stated many times, is 50% Midwestern, 25% Upland South/Midwestern, and 25% Southern. this makes it an overall Midwestern state. Most of Missouri really does not go well with AR, OK, and TX.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
lol. Southern Illinois and Southern Ohio have obvious southern influences.
Not to the extend of MO. Nowhere in Oh or IN is anywhere near as southern as say Mississippi County Missouri, or Poplar Bluff, or New Madrid. That's Dixie.

Also the Ozarks near US 60 down to the AR border is more southern than IN or OH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football