U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 11:25 AM

7,182 posts, read 5,423,160 times

Advertisements

Mizzou to the SEC chatter continues to grow:

Mizzou-to-SEC chatter continues to grow | CollegeFootballTalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 01:36 PM

3,458 posts, read 3,114,537 times
as an SEC fan, I hope we don't take Missouri. I don't think they are a good fit, culturally or geographically.

if it was my decision, i'd ask, (in order)

1. UNC
2. VaTech
3. FSU
4. NC State
5. Clemson
6. Georgia Tech
7. Maryland
8. West Virginia
9. Missouri

I think UNC is almost guaranteed to say no... I think NC State or Virginia Tech would entertain the idea, though.

"The pundits" say that Missouri and Maryland bring in big TV markets, but I think "the pundits" have a big city NFL mentality and don't understand college fans or college ball.

The same pundits also say that Florida wouldn't allow FSU, South Carolina wouldn't allow Clemson, and Georgia wouldn't allow Georgia Tech.... however I don't believe that these are safe assumptions.

Last edited by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus; 09-28-2011 at 01:45 PM..

Old 09-28-2011, 02:08 PM

3,458 posts, read 3,114,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
It's a football conference onegoal for crying out loud, Not a reflection of a state's culture. Good grief.... Drop the ridiculous crap trying to hijack every thread and turn it into a discussion about how southern you think Missouri is.
your comment is exactly the reason i don't want missouri in the SEC. culture is important in SEC membership.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:15 PM

2,082 posts, read 2,903,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
your comment is exactly the reason i don't want missouri in the SEC. culture is important in SEC membership.
Since you have no idea of the history behind the quoted individual's comments and hijacking all kinds of threads in the Missouri forum (Where this thread originated), I stand by what I said. I agree Mizzou doesn't belong in the SEC because culturally Missouri is not "southeastern" and not to mention distance from any other team in the conference. I wont comment on what was implied since it's off topic and Lord knows we don't need any more of that garbage in this thread

Last edited by GunnerTHB; 09-28-2011 at 03:24 PM..

Old 09-28-2011, 03:21 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,894,190 times
I think Missouri would love to wait a year or two, and see if Notre Dame finally joins the Big 10. Then they would likely get an invite.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:33 AM

150 posts, read 212,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Big 10 all the way. Much better academic fit as well.
Actually, that's not true. If you look at metrics such as research expenditures, the number of top 20 programs, professors in the National Academies, etc, Mizzou would be dead last with Nebraska in the Big 10 and right in the middle in the SEC.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:04 PM

8,401 posts, read 8,388,277 times
But unlike Nebraska, MU is a member of the AAU.

Nebraska has the distinction of being the first university ever to be expelled from the AAU.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:15 PM

150 posts, read 212,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
But unlike Nebraska, MU is a member of the AAU.

Nebraska has the distinction of being the first university ever to be expelled from the AAU.
Harvard, Princeton, MIT, & Stanford are also members of the AAU. Do you really think Mizzou is the academic equivalent of those schools? AAU membership is fine and dandy but there is such a huge gap between the top and bottom schools that using membership as an metric is almost meaningless.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:16 PM

956 posts, read 1,776,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
as an SEC fan, I hope we don't take Missouri. I don't think they are a good fit, culturally or geographically.

if it was my decision, i'd ask, (in order)

1. UNC
2. VaTech
3. FSU
4. NC State
5. Clemson
6. Georgia Tech
7. Maryland
8. West Virginia
9. Missouri

I think UNC is almost guaranteed to say no... I think NC State or Virginia Tech would entertain the idea, though.

"The pundits" say that Missouri and Maryland bring in big TV markets, but I think "the pundits" have a big city NFL mentality and don't understand college fans or college ball.

The same pundits also say that Florida wouldn't allow FSU, South Carolina wouldn't allow Clemson, and Georgia wouldn't allow Georgia Tech.... however I don't believe that these are safe assumptions.
Just slightly curious, what have you heard source-wise or rumor-wise, that would suggest UNC would say no to an invite to the SEC? Interesting you say that, but then again the more I think about it, such a move out of the ACC wouldn't make sense, since it'd destroy UNC's infamous rivalries with other ACC colleges(namely NC State and Duke). Plus UNC's football program wouldn't be a good fit in the SEC, since they traditionally have not had a strong football program.

I'm actually surprised anyway that there is so much talk about Mizzou joining the SEC, since I've always believed the conference that would fit for them the best would be the Big 10, if the Big 12 does ultimately break up. (and ever since Nebraska and Colorado jumped, I've believed the Big 12 is in big danger of break up, a la the former Southwestern Conference) I believe Iowa State would also fit in well, if the Big 10 wanted to expand. Notre Dame would also fit in the B10, though part of me feels that ultimately in the end, they'll remain independent.

It's amazing how much realignment is occurring, especially since I still have trouble picturing in my mind how Texas A&M is going to fit into the SEC, when it moves next year. But I guess it shows how money has overrun collegiate conferences(and sports) too much today....

Old 09-29-2011, 05:23 PM

8,401 posts, read 8,388,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topospace View Post
Harvard, Princeton, MIT, & Stanford are also members of the AAU. Do you really think Mizzou is the academic equivalent of those schools? AAU membership is fine and dandy but there is such a huge gap between the top and bottom schools that using membership as an metric is almost meaningless.
But being expelled is not meaningless.

At least Mizzou is still a member.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football