U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 06:16 PM

1,367 posts, read 2,921,077 times

Advertisements

[quote=Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus;21071434]as an SEC fan, I hope we don't take Missouri. I don't think they are a good fit, culturally or geographically. if it was my decision, i'd ask, (in order)

1. UNC
2. VaTech
3. FSU
4. NC State
5. Clemson
6. Georgia Tech
7. Maryland
8. West Virginia
9. Missouri
quote]------------------------------

I have no idea why my quote capture failed, but I agree about no Missouri. Not only do they not really fit for the reasons you gave, do we really need a 3rd Tigers team? I agree UNC would say no and personally I wouldn't want Maryland at all. My picks:

1. VA Tech
2. NC State
3. FSU
4. East Carolina. I know, I know, but the South East Conference should be in NC for goodness sake. If NCST/UNC say no, go to Pirate Nation. Hey, they'd beat the Mississippi teams and Kentucky.

FSU seems real possible as they and Maryland fought the ACC's new exit fee and had it lowered from $34 million to $20 million, they recently said they'd listen if the SEC wanted to talk and they also recently formed an "expansion" committee.

Mizzou should stay and rebuild the Big 12 or go Big 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 07:13 PM

150 posts, read 212,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
But being expelled is not meaningless.

At least Mizzou is still a member.
Not meaningless to whom? Not being an AAU member will have zero effect on things like the amount of research grants professors at Nebraska will get or the rankings of their programs, etc. Things like this are what determines a schools academic reputation.

I do this stuff for a living (at an AAU school by the way) and AAU membership means nothing in determining grants we get or rankings of my department. It simply dosen't work that way.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:34 PM

8,409 posts, read 8,405,878 times
Didn't say it would affect their research grants, just their reputation.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:14 PM

8 posts, read 11,579 times
you have to look at one thing really and its region, and really you have to go big 10. the sec is a great confrence but really as a fan would you want to travel to alabama to see a road game? personally all this moving around is for money and greed not the fans, im supprised to see people rooting for it and not fighting it. im a duck (ha ha @ nike U) and i cringed thinking of texas and the rest the others joining to make some super confrence i dont want to have to travel to az for a road game let alone texas. think about it rivalries you can chat about with people at you local sports bar or having to do it on a forum?

Old 10-01-2011, 05:52 PM

Well, I'll hate to see Mizzou go.

Was raised to be a Tiger fan because my family is "originally" from Missouri and my Dad was Mizzou Class of 1933.

Whenever Missouri comes to Austin to play, I wear Dad's hat with my usual Texas gear.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:26 PM

662 posts, read 1,006,617 times
I think MU joining the Big Ten is more likely than joining the SEC, mostly because most of MU's main rivals would join (or have already joined) the Big Ten. Kansas, Iowa State, and K-State would obviously join the Big Ten over the SEC, and Nebraska already is in the Big Ten. Texas, Baylor, Texas Tech, OU, OK State, and A&M aren't really rivals with Mizzou and would be a natural fit in the SEC.

However, I think MU would be a good fit in the SEC as well, particularly if the aforementioned teams do join the SEC. That would result in more than half of the states that border Missouri being in the SEC (Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kentucky, and Tennessee.) We'd also get to see some really good football. Missouri is also closer to the farthest-away SEC school (Florida State) than the farthest-away Big Ten school (Penn State.)

But I guess this is another case where MU is another border state that doesn't fit in.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:41 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,418,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover_Country View Post
Missouri is also closer to the farthest-away SEC school (Florida State) than the farthest-away Big Ten school (Penn State.)

I think you mean Florida... and UF is 1K miles away from UM. Penn State is 850... so Penn State is closer.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:16 AM

3,458 posts, read 3,118,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Just slightly curious, what have you heard source-wise or rumor-wise, that would suggest UNC would say no to an invite to the SEC?
no rumors, just going off what i know about UNC. they seem to have a tendency to distance themselves from the deep south. i think they are similar to UT-Austin in that sense of academic/cultural snobbery.

Quote:
I believe Iowa State would also fit in well, if the Big 10 wanted to expand. Notre Dame would also fit in the B10, though part of me feels that ultimately in the end, they'll remain independent.
I have to wonder what Iowa State brings to the table for any major conference.

Quote:
It's amazing how much realignment is occurring, especially since I still have trouble picturing in my mind how Texas A&M is going to fit into the SEC, when it moves next year. But I guess it shows how money has overrun collegiate conferences(and sports) too much today....
Personally I think A&M is a perfect fit for the SEC.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:24 AM

3,458 posts, read 3,118,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
I have no idea why my quote capture failed, but I agree about no Missouri. Not only do they not really fit for the reasons you gave, do we really need a 3rd Tigers team? I agree UNC would say no and personally I wouldn't want Maryland at all. My picks:

1. VA Tech
2. NC State
3. FSU
I think NC State is a plausible choice, who would consider jumping to the SEC. UNC-NCSU is similar to Texas-Texas A&M. A&M and NCSU are both land-grant agricultural schools that would fit in great in the SEC culturally, in terms of their fanbases. Both schools have an in-state "big brother" who pushes them around in their current conference, so a move to the SEC is a risky move that could pay off in the long run.

Both bring new urban and rural markets, new fanbases, and new states to the SEC. Both have good academics, but not so good that they'd turn their nose up at the SEC. Both have respectable histories in baseball and basketball.

The question is, would NC State break its ties with UNC, Wake, Virginia, and Duke? I don't know, but I think it's possible. UNC-Chapel Hill fans are every bit as insufferable as UT-Austin fans. UT seems to act like Oklahoma is a more fitting rival, which irritates A&M fans, and UNC seems to act like Duke is a more fitting rival, which irritates NC State fans.

Quote:
4. East Carolina. I know, I know, but the South East Conference should be in NC for goodness sake. If NCST/UNC say no, go to Pirate Nation. Hey, they'd beat the Mississippi teams and Kentucky.
I live in the middle of ECU territory... I can't see it happening. The SEC wants bigger money than ECU. Looking at the big picture (outside of just DIA football), ECU is about as desirable as App State.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:08 AM

I agree with Cletus that we UT-Austin fans are insufferable as are Sooners, but the worst in the Big 12 are aggys.

Most B12 fans regard A&M as an oddball cult, and SEC fans are just beginning to discover that too via the Internet.

CFB smack is fun, as long as it doesn't get too ugly....and fans don't get rude face to face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football