Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 04:07 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,864,925 times

Advertisements

Assume a North Division of Sadexcuse, sPitt, France, Virginia Tech, Fredo, the Twerps, Puke and the Tarholes, and you're looking at VT making the championship game 4 years out of 5, at least under Frank Beamer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 04:36 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,786,020 times
if they were to realign based off of geography

North: BC, Pitt, Syracuse, Maryland, Virginia, VT, WF

Sorth: Miami, FSU, GT, Clemson, NC State, NC, Duke

Old 09-20-2011, 05:14 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,014,043 times
Dude.

These things are cyclical.

It's not like Virginia Tech will be at it's same level until the sun explodes.

And it's not like the other schools will be bad forever.

That's just as it is now. These schools will be able to build into competitors EASIER if the only big boy they have to fight is Tech.

If "France" gets back to where they were in the 90s, it won't be a clear cut VT party. Maryland is in the same boat and I'd put Pitt there too. Look at BC except for last year. Look wider scope and longer term dude.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Dude.

These things are cyclical.

It's not like Virginia Tech will be at it's same level until the sun explodes.

And it's not like the other schools will be bad forever.

That's just as it is now. These schools will be able to build into competitors EASIER if the only big boy they have to fight is Tech.

If "France" gets back to where they were in the 90s, it won't be a clear cut VT party. Maryland is in the same boat and I'd put Pitt there too. Look at BC except for last year. Look wider scope and longer term dude.
Why do UVA fans brag about their 7-4 seasons under George Welsh?

Old 09-20-2011, 06:26 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,624,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Why do UVA fans brag about their 7-4 seasons under George Welsh?
I think the point is, they werent the pushovers then that they are now.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:35 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,014,043 times
Why do VTech fans think that they are some "elite" school when they never beat top 5 teams?

Seriously though it's all relative. UVA was a consistent solid program and that is something to be proud of, especially considering where we were before.

We never went lower than seven wins and always came out at least .500 rising up and getting to good bowls periodically and managing to beat Florida State at it's height in 95 (no easy feat). Welsh is the winningest PURE ACC coach (I say pure because despite the number of wins VTech has not all of them were ACC wins) and was honored for it, that's not something to sneeze at.

Of course, Hokie fans should rightfully be proud of what they have accomplished under Beamer. Especially since their ACC days. I would be.

However this idea that you are elite or nothing is frankly stupid. There are degrees. I don't care if you are disinterested in that, and I am not so proud to call Virginia an "elite team" but we're not Rice. I don't care if tv pundits aren't always masturbating to us, I know what we have accomplished and that's all that matters.

Anyways, will the newcomers always be down, no. Will Virgina Tech always be as good as they are? No. Everyone takes dips and goes through rough spells, some are larger than others.

And frankly with few exceptions, the only TRUE college football royalties are those who have won BIG since the dawn of time and manage to keep winning BIG today with very little drop off and those programs are TRULY special and an exception.

Everyone else.....just isn't like that (Washington, UCLA, Ole Miss, Clemson anyone?) and it doesn't matter what we do, we won't catch up to Alabama, Texas, USC, Michigan or Notre Dame because we don't have that history.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Why do VTech fans think that they are some "elite" school when they never beat top 5 teams?

Seriously though it's all relative. UVA was a consistent solid program and that is something to be proud of, especially considering where we were before.

We never went lower than seven wins and always came out at least .500 rising up and getting to good bowls periodically and managing to beat Florida State at it's height in 95 (no easy feat). Welsh is the winningest PURE ACC coach (I say pure because despite the number of wins VTech has not all of them were ACC wins) and was honored for it, that's not something to sneeze at.

Of course, Hokie fans should rightfully be proud of what they have accomplished under Beamer. Especially since their ACC days. I would be.

However this idea that you are elite or nothing is frankly stupid. There are degrees. I don't care if you are disinterested in that, and I am not so proud to call Virginia an "elite team" but we're not Rice. I don't care if tv pundits aren't always masturbating to us, I know what we have accomplished and that's all that matters.

Anyways, will the newcomers always be down, no. Will Virgina Tech always be as good as they are? No. Everyone takes dips and goes through rough spells, some are larger than others.

And frankly with few exceptions, the only TRUE college football royalties are those who have won BIG since the dawn of time and manage to keep winning BIG today with very little drop off and those programs are TRULY special and an exception.

Everyone else.....just isn't like that (Washington, UCLA, Ole Miss, Clemson anyone?) and it doesn't matter what we do, we won't catch up to Alabama, Texas, USC, Michigan or Notre Dame because we don't have that history.
Where did I say VT was elite anywhere? I said that we would win the division 4 out of 5 years.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:05 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,578,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Where did I say VT was elite anywhere? I said that we would win the division 4 out of 5 years.
At least you admit VT is not elite.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:06 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,178,543 times
V Tech won their division 3 of the past 4 years I don't know why this is a revelation all of a sudden...

Old 09-20-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
At least you admit VT is not elite.
do you feel better now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football