U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 08:58 AM

616 posts, read 728,612 times

Advertisements

I guess somebody at A&M heard me and ran with the idea.

Texas should still go to the SEC they are looking for one more right?

if A&M can go and will potentially be a 10 win team by 3 years, Texas can go and be a 10 win team THIS year and a 11wins in 2012 !

Longhorns wassup!!! the LHN can still be. but it's time to man up and face some real teams though and the SEC got em. A&M is making the move to big up their brand and before you know they will be Texas' TWIN brother. not the baby.

think about it. time to go SEC, Texas. they waiting on us. let's go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 09:02 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,745,940 times
Yuck. Our academics are way too good for the SEC. (no offense to Vanderbilt and Florida)

Old 09-28-2011, 09:08 AM

8,385 posts, read 8,376,472 times
Too bad there's no puke emoticon on this forum.

Seriously, Texas cares not a whit about the SEC. A&M is just going to get out from under their big brother's shadow.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Yuck. Our academics are way too good for the SEC. (no offense to Vanderbilt and Florida)
bout the same really. just more comp on the field. UT is not even Superior to Baylor when it comes to Academics. it's mainly a party school with a good football team. let's be real here. if it was about Academics, Baylor would be the #1 team in the big 12. but it's not, it's about TV dollars and butts in seats. period. and that's what the SEC is all about.

AND that's what UT wants, more TV dollars and more butts in seats.

it's a no-brainer.

UT needs to quit playing wimpy teams(North Texas, Rice) and get down with some real football so that LHN will be super-exciting to watch each and everyday. everybody wins. I can't say I'll be up for watching UT vs. Rice highlights year after year. ***!...but UT vs. LSU...oh yeah.

Last edited by 512ATX; 09-28-2011 at 09:26 AM..

Old 09-28-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Too bad there's no puke emoticon on this forum.

Seriously, Texas cares not a whit about the SEC. A&M is just going to get out from under their big brother's shadow.
\

but Texas should care. it's the biggest baddest conference with the biggest baddest stage. what college football program doesn't want that.?

UT for all intent and purposes, wants to have a easy cheesy road to the Rose Bowl. it's not hard to tell. no bumps in the road to jeopardize that in the Big 12 but the SEC got potholes, hills and dirt roads that could rock the boat. I understand that. but that's gonna backfire in the long run when LHN will become the place to watch those weak games(UT vs. Rice) and not actually IN the stands watching those games. that will hurt ticket sales big time.

I say they go SEC, and be sold out games every week and TV viewership jumping thru the roof for those who couldn't get tickets.

again, this is about TV dollars AND butts in seats(ticket sales)

UT + SEC = the Promised land

Old 09-28-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
bout the same really. just more comp on the field. UT is not even Superior to Baylor when it comes to Academics. it's mainly a party school with a good football team. let's be real here. if it was about Academics, Baylor would be the #1 team in the big 12. but it's not, it's about TV dollars and butts in seats. period. and that's what the SEC is all about.

AND that's what UT wants, more TV dollars and more butts in seats.

it's a no-brainer.

UT needs to quit playing wimpy teams(North Texas, Rice) and get down with some real football so that LHN will be super-exciting to watch each and everyday. everybody wins. I can't say I'll be up for watching UT vs. Rice highlights year after year. ***!...but UT vs. LSU...oh yeah.
LOL at the Baylor to UT comparison. Baylor is probably the most over-rated college in Texas. Spend all that money at Baylor for an education you could get down the road at a community college.

US News Rankings:
UT = #45
Baylor = #75

Also, UT's engineering and computer science departments rank in the top 10 in the nation. UT is one of the top research institutions in the nation. Best law school in the south. One of the best business schools in the nation. Lets not be ridiculous and compare it to crappy Baylor.

But back to football...

UT played UCLA and BYU this year. Typically those aren't wimpy teams... How were they supposed to know UCLA would be terrible this year when the scheduling is done years in advance?

In years upcoming UT has scheduled some good non-conference teams including: Mississippi, BYU, Arkansas, Notre Dame, Cal, USC...

Old 09-28-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
LOL at the Baylor to UT comparison. Baylor is probably the most over-rated college in Texas. Spend all that money at Baylor for an education you could get down the road at a community college.

US News Rankings:
UT = #45
Baylor = #75

Also, UT's engineering and computer science departments rank in the top 10 in the nation. UT is one of the top research institutions in the nation. Best law school in the south. One of the best business schools in the nation. Lets not be ridiculous and compare it to crappy Baylor.
^and all of that is most likely due to sheer size of the student body at UT vs. Baylor. but you're right, this topic ain't about Academics

Quote:
But back to football...

UT played UCLA and BYU this year. Typically those aren't wimpy teams... How were they supposed to know UCLA would be terrible this year when the scheduling is done years in advance?

In years upcoming UT has scheduled some good non-conference teams including: Mississippi, BYU, Arkansas, Notre Dame, Cal, USC...
This is the typical argument "how are we suppose to know if such and such is a wimpy team, it's not our fault...yadaa..." but guess what? in the SEC, you KNOW year in and year out your're gonna face a monster and I think that scares UT a little bit. UT is more comfy being the Bully not being amongst Bullies.

and in those years to come none of those teams are in a row or will be worth a flip because they are so up and down with talent. Only teams in that list that has the potential to have a squad by the time Texas meets them is Ole Miss, Arkansas and USC, the rest will be hit or miss, most likely a miss. and those 3 teams are only ONE Game out of the schedule that will buck them each year. they are not on the schedule at the same time. UT needs to be tested EACH WEEK and the SEC teams will do that.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:50 AM

Again guys, TV Dollars and butts in seats(ticket sales )

did BYU sell out? no., did UCLA sell out? no

Old 09-28-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
Again guys, TV Dollars and butts in seats(ticket sales )

did BYU sell out? no., did UCLA sell out? no
...Rice sold out. 101,624 people in that game-- set a new record at the stadium!
Darrell K Royal

BYU was probably close to that. Texas sells out every game (probably why the ticket prices are through the roof)

If you don't believe me... try to go to the texas box office and buy tickets to a game on game day. You can't!

One thing Texas has no problem doing is selling tickets. Probably why it is going to cost me $250 - 300 per ticket to go to the Texas-OU game.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
...Rice sold out. 101,624 people in that game-- set a new record at the stadium!
Darrell K Royal

BYU was probably close to that. Texas sells out every game (probably why the ticket prices are through the roof)

If you don't believe me... try to go to the texas box office and buy tickets to a game on game day. You can't!

One thing Texas has no problem doing is selling tickets. Probably why it is going to cost me $250 - 300 per ticket to go to the Texas-OU game.

Rice?..LOL...Like I said, wimpy team. and they should sell out. it wasn't because of the matchup that's for sure.

and no, Texas does not sell out every game, that's just not the case. 95% the tailgaters are season ticket holders and you can ride by on a day they play a wimpy team and they're still cooking ribs watching the games on Tv's in their trucks only feet from the stadium.

and I've been to games that weren't sell outs. Only games that UT plays each year that sell out each time is vs. OU, and vs. A&M, that's it. everybody else is not a sell out. not that I've heard or seen with my own eyes. if you have data to prove me wrong I'd like to see it. I may be wrong but I doubt it.

and no, Texas doesn't have a problem selling tickets. but they do have a problem selling out of tickets. and that's what this is all about. TV dollars and butts in seats. period
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football