U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 12:53 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,854,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
If NO teams finish undefeated... And LSU & Bama finish with one loss from the other... Are you all ok with them playing in the BCS National Title Game?

or

Oklahoma & Oklahoma State doing the same thing?

or

Nebraska vs Wisconsin?

or

Clemson vs Virginia Tech?

Basically what I'm getting at is... are you all ok with 2 teams from the same conference playing for a National Title even if they are the #1 and #2 teams?
Quote:

That's why it could happen.... All the other teams in the same conference only play each other once too.
Clemson could play VT again in the Conference Championship game. So could UNL and Wisc. (I think). I thought that's what you meant. Like if Nebraska and Wisconsin each go 12-1 with each loss being against the other team.

I get what you are saying now though. I'll add that I think Boise State will be undefeated for sure.

FWIW I don't think the voters would let it happen very easily.

A one loss LSU vs a one loss 'Bama for the MNC? Sure. As long as every other BCS AQ team has at least two losses. That would be the only way I see it happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 12:54 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,379,787 times
Quote:

That's why it could happen.... All the other teams in the same conference only play each other once too.
The wording confused me too, it looked like you said that the top 2 teams each had losses "from the other", which made me think one team won during the regular season and the other won in the conference championship game--which of course would only happen in the conferences with championship games--and could never happen for OU/Oklahoma State even if the Big 12 still had two divisions since they were both in the same division. But duh on me because I just realized Bama and LSU are the same way. Never mind...

I remember that there was argument for it a while back when OSU/Michigan were #1 and #2 and played a close one.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:10 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,413,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
I remember that there was argument for it a while back when OSU/Michigan were #1 and #2 and played a close one.
Yes, just like that scenario...

Sorry for confusing... I guess I figured everyone would read it the way I was trying to say it. LOL

12-0 Alabama
vs
11-1 LSU

Clemson 12-0
vs
VA Tech 11-1

Nebraska 12-0
vs
Wisconsin 11-1

And to make it easier for you that keep saying why it cant happen... lets say that the teams who can play each other again, dont play in the title game. some other team plays in the conference title game because of a weird tie-breaker rule and they are ranked lower in the BCS because of an out of conference loss... LOL

And for argument sake EVERY other team has a loss including Boise

...in this scenario are you ok with it?

Old 09-29-2011, 01:37 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,379,787 times
For me it would take more than the others just having one loss, I think at the very least the #3 would have needed to have lost decisively to the #2 team. I think there would also have to be some kind of major issue with #4--maybe they already lost to #1, or maybe they had a really embarrassing loss that kept them from breaking into the top 3, were in a conference that had a really bad year, something like that.

I don't know if there would be a situation where #5 could leapfrog #3 and #4, but I guess crazier things could happen--maybe if #3 or #4 were on probation. At any rate, I think you'd need to have at least one of the other contenders losing to the #2 team.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:57 PM

8,340 posts, read 14,102,864 times
Quote:
If NO teams finish undefeated... And LSU & Bama finish with one loss from the other... Are you all ok with them playing in the BCS National Title Game?

or

Oklahoma & Oklahoma State doing the same thing?

or

Nebraska vs Wisconsin?

or

Clemson vs Virginia Tech?

Basically what I'm getting at is... are you all ok with 2 teams from the same conference playing for a National Title even if they are the #1 and #2 teams?
This played out in 2006 with Ohio State and Michigan. They were both 1 and 2 going into the final weekend. Ohio State beats Michigan by 5, and many people felt that they should rematch for the national title.

The voters did not allow it, they picked Florida. The rest is history.

Based on that, no, I do not think I would be ok with it. I also think it will not happen, the voters, yes THE VOTERS, will not allow it.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
This played out in 2006 with Ohio State and Michigan. They were both 1 and 2 going into the final weekend.

none of these teams team would play the FINAL weekend though...

Old 09-29-2011, 08:41 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,946,399 times
I am fine with it as long as the BCS didn't exist and teams had to compete in a tournament to earn their right to championship game...

Old 09-30-2011, 08:20 AM

8,340 posts, read 14,102,864 times
Quote:
none of these teams team would play the FINAL weekend though...
How is that relevant?

The logic from the voters was generally "Michigan had its chance" against OSU. Doesn't matter if they played in week 4 or week 12.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
How is that relevant?

The logic from the voters was generally "Michigan had its chance" against OSU. Doesn't matter if they played in week 4 or week 12.

The logic is... the voters lower teams votes immediately after they lose. If LSU loses to Bama in week 6 and drops to #6. And LSU wins the remaining of its games... the voters will vote them #2 if 2 thru 5 loses... thats how! ;-)

Old 10-01-2011, 08:16 PM

4,888 posts, read 3,974,996 times
Naw I figure more like Boise State and Sanford will finish undefeated, amd be the two only undefeated teams, but the National Championship will go to the SEC Winner vs Notre Dame (with three losss) , and the the two undefeated teams will meet up in the Ford Lemon Bowl played the day after Christmas.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football