U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 07:20 PM

595 posts, read 365,347 times

Advertisements

I'm a graduate of two D2 schools and proud of it! Where are all of my 'small college' football friends?

My North Alabama Lions are 4-0 and ranked #2 in NCAA Division II!

ROAR LIONS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 08:11 PM

2,799 posts, read 5,465,671 times
I'm keeping an eye on Bloomsburg (my parents' alma mater and also the school in my father's hometown); they are in the top 10. They're playing one of their big rivals, East Stroudsburg (another school I keep an eye on; they were/are the closest Division II school to where I grew up), this Saturday. If I lived closer to East Stroudsburg, I'd consider going (which is something I'd never thought I say about a Division II game I couldn't get into for free as recently as 3 years ago).

Kutztown (another school fairly close to where I grew up) is also ranked and I pay a little attention to them (though not as much as Bloomsburg, East Stroudsburg, and the school mentioned below).

I also follow IUP, my graduate school alma mater. They're doing OK so far. (When I was in graduate school, I did usually go to their games. Those games were actually fairly good quality, much better than the Division III football I saw at my undergraduate alma mater.)

Last edited by CHIP72; 09-29-2011 at 08:25 PM..

Old 09-29-2011, 08:25 PM

2,799 posts, read 5,465,671 times
I'll also note I pay attention to 3 schools in Division III, Muhlenberg (close to where I grew up), Moravian (ditto), and Juniata (undergraduate alma mater). Juniata was one of the worst football teams at any level in 2010 and doesn't appear to be much better in 2011.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:44 PM

Nice, I don't know much about D3 because their aren't many schools in the south in that division.

However, I'm very familiar with the PSAC teams you mention. UNA played IUP in the D2 Title Game the first year we won it in 1993. Bloomsburg has been good as of late but that conference has some sleepers that trip each other up like California-PA.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:46 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,018,496 times
I can't follow my DII any more, it got dropped.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:13 AM

8,173 posts, read 9,912,376 times
my university was football free - but I always enjoyed some of the smaller schools and there are a ton of them in PA

Old 09-30-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
I can't follow my DII any more, it got dropped.
UNO?? I still think that's the craziest thing I've heard in a while. And especially Wrestling!! Wow, Alberts really screwed that up good.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:32 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,018,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcolaFLGuy View Post
UNO?? I still think that's the craziest thing I've heard in a while. And especially Wrestling!! Wow, Alberts really screwed that up good.
It was an unfortunate decision. He wanted to be D1 so bad no matter the cost. And yes that wrestling program was the saddest part, that is the real shame to me.

At least UNO is ranked 14th to start the season in hockey, first game tomorrow!

Old 10-01-2011, 07:51 AM
Status: "If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?" (set 15 hours ago)

1,666 posts, read 2,155,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
It was an unfortunate decision. He wanted to be D1 so bad no matter the cost. And yes that wrestling program was the saddest part, that is the real shame to me.

At least UNO is ranked 14th to start the season in hockey, first game tomorrow!
Big whoopee on the hockey. To me it all starts with the football team. I can't believe that the alumni didn't put up a bigger fight and ride Trev out of town.

What a no class clown. Immediately after winning the D-II national wrestling championship, he informs the coach that the program has just been cut. They weren't even allowed 1 day to celebrate the title without having this bomb thrown on them.

UNO has been a real solid D-II football team through the years. It wasn't like the program was going through tough times.

What's really being gained by going D-I, especially in basketball? For crying out loud most REAL D-I programs pay their basketball coach more than the entire sports budget at UNO and somehow they're going to compete for a national title. The big goal now is to make the NCAA big dance and maybe win 1 game in the tournament.

What I LOVE about small colleges is that academics often don't take second fiddle to athletics. A majority of the athletes are really student-athletes, not recruited slaves taking general studies and dreaming of pro sports.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:56 AM

I have to agree jmgg (well, other than the hockey part). But they didn't really give anyone time to balk it was done so quickly.

Which, I guess when the decision has been made is a good thing. My alma mater (while not dropping any sports) made a big deal about it, let the students vote (which lost), polled alumni. All resoundingly saying stay in D2, but they had already made the decision and it seems that all of the input was just a show.

I so love small college sports for the balance of academics/athletics that you mentioned. But more and more schools feel they have to 'sell their souls' for the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football