U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-08-2011, 09:32 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,615,397 times
Reputation: 3225

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
Wow, Texas was truly exposed today. OU took them to the woodshed, big time...lol.
Don't worry, the moment OU plays a team from the Southeastern Conference, the Sooners will also be exposed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-08-2011, 09:35 PM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,858,628 times
Reputation: 1825
(free use gif for news reporting and commentary)http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu232/otherbliss/TrollFaceSmall.png (broken link)

The shark sign at the end is classic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2011, 09:45 PM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,858,628 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Don't worry, the moment OU plays a team from the Southeastern Conference, the Sooners will also be exposed.
Any SEC team? Or are you just talking about the one and only SEC champ? I would like some clarification here.

Most of the teams in the SEC this year are nothing less than a polished dog turds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2011, 09:58 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,615,397 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
Any SEC team? Or are you just talking about the one and only SEC champ? I would like some clarification here.

Most of the teams in the SEC this year are nothing less than a polished dog turds.
LOL. Actually, just runnin' a little smack.

But seriously, I have to confess that I think OU is once again maybe getting some preferential treatment in the polls. I could understand it if this was 2003 and they were two or three seasons removed from winning the national title against Florida State, but the fact that they keep getting the pre-season number one despite having their @sses handed to them year after year in big games should force pollsters to reconsider putting OU so high.

If I had to rank teams right now, I'd probably have it something like this:

1. Alabama
2. LSU
3. Wisconsin
4. Stanford
5. Oklahoma
6. Oklahoma State
7. Boise St.
8. Clemson
9. Oregon
10. ??? Arkansas? Michigan? Notre Dame?

I think the top three are not necessarily in any order but definitely a clear cut ahead of the next three or four. I think that 4-8 could fall in any order right now, too, but are clearly ahead of the rest of the top-ranked teams in the top 20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2011, 10:02 PM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,858,628 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
but the fact that they keep getting the pre-season number one
Prior to 2011, when was the last time OU was a preseason AP #1? 20 years ago? (at least)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
having their @sses handed to them year after year in big games
Again, I would like some clarification. It's not 2005.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2011, 10:20 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,615,397 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
Prior to 2011, when was the last time OU was a preseason AP #1? 20 years ago? (at least)



Again, I would like some clarification. It's not 2005.
OU always has an inside track in bowl games...and they always lose. The sooners helped put Boise St on the map. They also lost to Florida and USC. They played USC when it really should have been Auburn playing them instead. And LSU beat OU the year before.

Oh and last year's victory over Connecticut doesn't count. If this were basketball, a victory over UConn would count for a lot, but it's like playing a JV team in football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 01:15 AM
 
1,359 posts, read 4,384,577 times
Reputation: 771
Can't remember if they were #1 in 2003 but they were ranked very high for the entire season prior to the Big 12 title game--and their loss to LSU in the Sugar Bowl began the whole "Chokelahoma" tag.

Checked it---yep, they were a preseason #1 in 2003.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 05:41 AM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
2,092 posts, read 3,021,182 times
Reputation: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
LOL. Actually, just runnin' a little smack.

But seriously, I have to confess that I think OU is once again maybe getting some preferential treatment in the polls. I could understand it if this was 2003 and they were two or three seasons removed from winning the national title against Florida State, but the fact that they keep getting the pre-season number one despite having their @sses handed to them year after year in big games should force pollsters to reconsider putting OU so high.

If I had to rank teams right now, I'd probably have it something like this:

1. Alabama
2. LSU
3. Wisconsin
4. Stanford
5. Oklahoma
6. Oklahoma State
7. Boise St.
8. Clemson
9. Oregon
10. ??? Arkansas? Michigan? Notre Dame?

I think the top three are not necessarily in any order but definitely a clear cut ahead of the next three or four. I think that 4-8 could fall in any order right now, too, but are clearly ahead of the rest of the top-ranked teams in the top 20.
Your credibility just flew out the door when you even suggested Notre Dame (with 2 losses) should be even close to the top 10. Even the hack a** media doesn't think that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 06:35 AM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,416 posts, read 7,722,447 times
Reputation: 3068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Your credibility just flew out the door when you even suggested Notre Dame (with 2 losses) should be even close to the top 10. Even the hack a** media doesn't think that.
I actually was tipped off before he even posted. Anyone that would try to chicken-fry bananas has got some issues. Perhaps he needs to take a trip to Oklahoma/Texas to see how we appropriately chicken-fry here in the South-Central.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 08:16 AM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,615,397 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Your credibility just flew out the door when you even suggested Notre Dame (with 2 losses) should be even close to the top 10. Even the hack a** media doesn't think that.
Not necessarily the top ten just yet (hence the question marks), but close to it. Notre Dame is back. They're not in the elite category of teams yet, but they've been very impressive the last few weeks, and they're building a foundation of success. They stumbled out of the starting blocks, but Brian Kelly has made the adjustments and they're starting to pay off in a visible way. He's got the offense moving like it was when he was with Cincinnati, and they ended up in the top ten during his last year. He also has a lot of talent to work with. The one thing Charlie Weis did well was recruit. I think people are overlooking ND right now, and that's fair given their string of disappointments, but they're going to be on everyone's radar before long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top