U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 10:06 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,745,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Not to mention UT barely missed at least 2 more B12 championships by a hair, and obviously the 2009 MNC game against Bama. Plain bad luck with an injury or two, a bad tackle, a dropped int,, and some bad coaching.

OU knows well how luck & all the above can factor in a successsful run at the MNC.

That's one thing I and the majority of UT fans will agree on with the naysayers....OU has consistently had a better coaching staff overall than Brown. Stoops hires as well as any coach ever has, while Brown stuck with deadwood too often.

We'll see about this latest bunch.

The biggest job will be developing a competent O-line, something UT has lacked for 4 or 5 years.
I agree that OU's coaching staff is top notch. We had to put up with Greg Davis for a number of years...
I see a much better OC in Bryan Harsin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 06:39 PM

43,562 posts, read 52,678,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
What's kick-ass awesome? They beat-up State Puff Marshmallow teams in UCLA, ISU, BYU, and Rice. Texas has had 5 star recruits for the last million years and based on that, they are rarely kick-ass awesome.
2 years ago, they were all set to give us a good National Championship game with Alabama and Colt McCoy got knocked out.

One horrendous season last year (which I believe could have been mitigated by the early pulling out of Gilbert). Now that they have their hats on straight, I think we'll be looking at something special within the next year or two.

This from a guy who likes a team that no one ever heard about until the last few years.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:33 PM

2,091 posts, read 3,018,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
2 years ago, they were all set to give us a good National Championship game with Alabama and Colt McCoy got knocked out.

One horrendous season last year (which I believe could have been mitigated by the early pulling out of Gilbert). Now that they have their hats on straight, I think we'll be looking at something special within the next year or two.

This from a guy who likes a team that no one ever heard about until the last few years.
So, I guess this makes you about 8 years old, huh? You must have just started watching football considering the Ducks finished #2 in the nation back in 2001 (and getting shafted out of playing in the NC)- the year after the Ducks kicked in UT's head in a bowl game. But, that was ages ago. I'm looking towards the future as well. The Ducks are just as young with only 13 seniors...and they are not all 5 stars. Can you imagine what Oregon would do if we had the talent Texas gets? Good Lord! I think Texas is a good program, but I am frankly not impressed given the amount of talent you get every darn year! Sorry...

Old 10-17-2011, 08:06 AM

474 posts, read 762,061 times
Quote:
If you are trying to claim Texas is mediocre under Brown, then you are just trolling. Nobody can maintain a team in the top 5 consistently these days.

And yes, a program's overall record matters a lot....otherwise we can say OU hasn't accomplished much in this century. See how your logic works?
My, aren't you touchy. Can't you read? I never said Texas was mediocre under Brown. I said Texas might be starting a down period. That is to be determined. We shall see how this season turns out. The dearth of experienced players suggests that the recruiting classes 2-4 years ago were not nearly as good as they have been. Texas doesn't rebuild, right? They just reload. Or so the Texas fans say.....

Old 10-17-2011, 08:24 AM

8,383 posts, read 8,376,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
My, aren't you touchy. Can't you read? I never said Texas was mediocre under Brown. I said Texas might be starting a down period. That is to be determined. We shall see how this season turns out. The dearth of experienced players suggests that the recruiting classes 2-4 years ago were not nearly as good as they have been. Texas doesn't rebuild, right? They just reload. Or so the Texas fans say.....
Not touchy at all, just pointing out that last year was just an aberration for Brown's Texas team.
That meltdown was due to a nasty schism between several assistant coaches (new guys vs old guys) early in the season, and the discord affected the entire team. The disunity was very destructive, and some of the coaches just mailed it in the rest of the season.

However, the 5-7 was worth it just to get rid of the deadwood that had been a terrible drag on the program for several years.

And yes, it's obvious the recruiting classes of '07 & '08 were overrated, especially in linemen.

It's gonna take a couple years to get the entirely new program running.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:42 AM

474 posts, read 762,061 times
Quote:
Not touchy at all, just pointing out that last year was just an aberration for Brown's Texas team.
That meltdown was due to a nasty schism between several assistant coaches (new guys vs old guys) early in the season, and the discord affected the entire team. The disunity was very destructive, and some of the coaches just mailed it in the rest of the season.

However, the 5-7 was worth it just to get rid of the deadwood that had been a terrible drag on the program for several years.

And yes, it's obvious the recruiting classes of '07 & '08 were overrated, especially in linemen.

It's gonna take a couple years to get the entirely new program running.
Fair enough.

As for the aberration - I think this is a year to watch as I know you are - to see what progress is made. It will also be interesting to see how sticky your new coordinators are. Diaz is already being talked about as a candidate for the Arizona position since Mike Stoops has been fired.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:55 AM

8,383 posts, read 8,376,472 times
Well, the meltdown certainly can be laid at Mack Brown's feet, as his loyalty can blind him to the obvious sometimes. A lot of Longhorns are still unhappy about that. Said UT followers are pretty fickle, but nobody ever accused them of being great fans.

Texas fans are witholding judgement on these new coaches until we see some consistent progress this year and next. It will be especially interesting to see what next year's hotshot running back recruit Johnathan Gray brings to the table. It should be quite spectacular having him paired up with Malcolm Brown who is on course for a 1,000 yard season.

Through 7 games this year Gray has:

Rushing
Att Yds Yds/Att TD
128 1806 14.11 33

Receiving
Rec Yds Yds/Catch TD
14 226 16.1 3

Then again, if the O-line doeesn't improve....who knows?

Old 10-23-2011, 10:15 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,609,608 times
lol! Well OU didn't even need to play an SEC team to prove my point that they've been getting preferential treatment in the polls. The Sooners are now what Ohio State used to be.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:03 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,154,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
lol! Well OU didn't even need to play an SEC team to prove my point that they've been getting preferential treatment in the polls. The Sooners are now what Ohio State used to be.

The Big 12 this year is the toughest conference in the nation, from top to bottom, according to the computers and public opinion outside the SEC.

As a Tech fan, I acknowledge that there were a lot of starters missing from OU last night (more than from our side, I think), and that the Red Raider defense faces a similar O in practice all the time. It was probably a perfect storm for the Sooners (no pun intended), with Tech being hungry after a two-game skid, and pressure being on OU after a disappointing W last week. Of course, it's not the Tech of last year.

The season is still far from over, so I'd imagine that there will be more surprises...

Old 10-23-2011, 07:30 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,609,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post

The Big 12 this year is the toughest conference in the nation, from top to bottom, according to the computers and public opinion outside the SEC.
I think the only Big 12 team that could hang with the SEC's best is Oklahoma State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football