U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2011, 06:05 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,773,715 times

Advertisements

Everyone knows the old refrain that we live in an instant gratification society.

More specifically with our CFB teams it seems that sometimes people want to can a coach after say 3 years.

Does anyone think sometimes they can go overboard?

It wasn't like that before, often times programs (save for a couple of giants) gave their coaches a lot more of a coushin.

Coach Mac at Syracuse, Vince Dooley at Georgia (took him a while to win that Natty), Bill McCartney at Colorado, Rich Brooks at Oregon.

We've had scholarship caps since the late 70s-80s and while that helps, I don't see how we expect teams to develop or coach's plans to materialize any faster. Naturally the press needs stuff to peddle and message boards are breeding grounds for rumors and discontent, but it seems like backseat driver syndrome is at an all time high these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 07:23 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,751,856 times
I think the major programs are getting higher and higher expectations.
This is probably due to the fact that college football is getting more popular (compare the TV coverage now to 10 years ago). You have ESPN, ESPNU, FSN, FSN-Southwest, Big 10 Network, LHN...etc.
College football has become a big money sport that can almost rival the NFL in terms of time on television dedicated to it.

The coaches are getting paid more as well. When a coach makes 4 - 5 million a year, and he gets some of the best recruits in the nation, it is only natural for the fans to have high expectations..

Old 10-04-2011, 07:44 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,773,715 times
I know I understand that.

I get FSU, Tier 1 SEC, Michigan and Notre Dame people going crazy.

It's all the people outside of that top tier that I don't get.

Not every school is made equal you know.

Who do you root for anyways?

Old 10-04-2011, 11:11 AM

48,516 posts, read 84,112,434 times
Its a competitive sport. Most people support their team win or lose. Its about the fun of rivalry.But certainly there is a feeling in winning.Ask nayone who plays sports they will tell winning is only happenig when you know it the point in playing in a compatitive sport. Anone whp play not caring if they win isn't true to the very idea of competitive sports.Coach get paid well for results otherwsie we would be paying 40K a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football