U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2011, 06:54 AM

5,855 posts, read 6,528,109 times

Advertisements

the BCS schools are center stage in the current realignment of college conferences. and if there are going to super conferences, as this realignment suggests, they will probably center on 4 of them, each with 16 members. That's 64 schools.

Currently if you include the BCS conferences that include the Big East (8), ACC (12), SEC (12), Big Ten (12), Big Twelve (10), and Pac 12 (12) along with independent Notre Dame, you get 69 schools, almost an overlap of the four super conferences I suggested above.

So let's operate with a current number of 69. Let's assume that the BCS definition of major school is our model for a national championship, meaning the mid-majors are not included (No MAC or C-USA, but nothing to prevent the NCAA from having a competition for these schools as it does for divisions below Division 1).

Here's my question: let's imagine it might take 10 years to flush out the system and identify what essentially would be the successor of the BCS. Let's also imagine that it went with the most practical of formats given the rules of divisibility (2, 4, 8, 16) and went with an eight team championship format (hopefully with the first round being four New Years day bowls). And let's grandfather all current 69 schools.

If you were to add schools based on their ability to play at this championship level (programs that can stand head to head with existing BCS schools) to the current mix, as many as you think would be warranted, which schools would you add? (and remember, since you are adding schools, you can pull them from midmajors if you think it is warranted)

You can control the number of schools you add. And if you think that college football's highest level of competition might be have 96 schools in 8 conferences of 12 teams each, each conference getting one of the eight seeds, go for it.

and if you do so think that 96 school set up might work, feel free to set up the 12 conferences that could pull it off.

For example:

Big East
Penn State
Pitt
West Virginia
Syracuse
Boston College
UConn
Navy
Army
Rutgers
Temple
UMass
a SUNY school designated as a NY flagship

ACC
Miami
Florida State
South Carolina
Clemson
Wake Forest
North Carolina
Duke
NC State
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Maryland
Central Florida
(South Carolina returns to be with Clemson)

SEC
LSU
Tulane
Ole Miss
Miss State
Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
(this once was the SEC before GT and Tulane left)

Big Dozen...Former Big Ten
Chicago
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Michigan
Michigan State
Minnesota
Northwestern
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Purdue
Wisconsin
(Notre Dame was the obvious additon. The Univesity of Chicago? That is my only flight of fancy here. I live in the Chicago area. The U of C was a founding member of the Big Ten, then dropped big time football. It's not going back anywhere; I just put in place for my wish list/impossible dream categroy)

Midlands (old Big 8 country)
Missouri
Iowa State
Nebraska
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Colorado
Colorado State
Memphis
Louisville
Cincinnati

A New Southwest Conference
Arkansas
Rice
Houston
Texas
Texas A&M
Baylor
SMU
TCU
Texas Tech
New Mexico
UTEP
Southern Miss

Mountain West
Air Force
New Mexico State
Wyoming
Boise State
Utah
Utah State
BYU
Nevada
UNLV
Hawaii
Tulsa
San Jose St

Pac 12
Wash State
Washington
Oregon State
Oregon
Cal
Stanford
UCLA
USC
Arizona
ASU
SD State
Fresno State

some schools may be a little weak, but I did what I could to show what a coast-to-coast 8 conference, regionally based (12 schools each) landscape might look like.

I generally tried to keep all schools in their current conference or put them in previous set ups (Ga Tech back in the SEC, SCar back in the ACC, etc. and Penn State returning to the east coast where conference football now exists where it didn't back in the time when PSU joined the B10)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 08:17 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,770,740 times
Remember this is all partly based on where certain schools are at during a certain time.

Many schools in conferences now have no real selling point (according to the peanut gallery) aside from ALREADY being a part of the country club.

If some bubble teams (WVU, Rutgers, the Kansas City Trio) were putting out like they are supposed to then they would not be on the outside looking in on all this stuff.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Remember this is all partly based on where certain schools are at during a certain time.

Many schools in conferences now have no real selling point (according to the peanut gallery) aside from ALREADY being a part of the country club.

If some bubble teams (WVU, Rutgers, the Kansas City Trio) were putting out like they are supposed to then they would not be on the outside looking in on all this stuff.
"the Kansas City Trio" (presumably for Mizzou, KU, K-State)....never heard that one before and gotta love it!

Old 10-05-2011, 10:26 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,378,972 times
Fresno State would never be allowed into the Pac-12, they would have to be in the Mountain West [which they are already about to join.] It's been known for a while now that the powers that be in the Pac will never let in a CSU, they don't consider them to be of good enough quality of school to be in the same conference with those of the UC system. I also don't know why they would be in the Pac if all of their current/future conference mates would be in the MWC.

I mean, this is all speculation anyway, but it's better if it's based more in what would be feasible, and also building off of where schools are now.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
Fresno State would never be allowed into the Pac-12, they would have to be in the Mountain West [which they are already about to join.] It's been known for a while now that the powers that be in the Pac will never let in a CSU, they don't consider them to be of good enough quality of school to be in the same conference with those of the UC system. I also don't know why they would be in the Pac if all of their current/future conference mates would be in the MWC.

I mean, this is all speculation anyway, but it's better if it's based more in what would be feasible, and also building off of where schools are now.
ec, i'm in full agreement with you. No Cal State schools would be allowed to join the 2 UC's.....Cal and UCLA. I know that. I tried to put Fresno and SDSU in the MWC, but I couldn't come up with two schools to join the Pac 12 (after pulling out both Colo and Utah). There wasn't a school in the 4 state (WA/OR/CA/AZ) region that would work. I might have considered tinkering a bit....putting UNLV and Hawaii in as a trade to the MWC of Fresno and SD St

Old 10-06-2011, 12:09 AM

14,260 posts, read 23,983,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
ec, i'm in full agreement with you. No Cal State schools would be allowed to join the 2 UC's.....Cal and UCLA. I know that. I tried to put Fresno and SDSU in the MWC, but I couldn't come up with two schools to join the Pac 12 (after pulling out both Colo and Utah). There wasn't a school in the 4 state (WA/OR/CA/AZ) region that would work. I might have considered tinkering a bit....putting UNLV and Hawaii in as a trade to the MWC of Fresno and SD St
Wouldn't be more appropriate to move Indiana and Minnesota to the MAC?

Old 10-06-2011, 08:23 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,770,740 times
You see what I mean.

Only reason why some clunkers are sancrosanct is because they are in the club already. I hope Kevin Wilson changes it, but NO ONE cares about Indiana football. Wazzou will never be a perrenial or even semi perrenial contender save for Oil magnate level cash injections.

My beloved Virginia isn't a jewel either I am afraid.

I say we get 5 conferences.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Wouldn't be more appropriate to move Indiana and Minnesota to the MAC?

wait a minute. I thought the Hoosiers and Gophers already were in the MAC.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
You see what I mean.

Only reason why some clunkers are sancrosanct is because they are in the club already. I hope Kevin Wilson changes it, but NO ONE cares about Indiana football. Wazzou will never be a perrenial or even semi perrenial contender save for Oil magnate level cash injections.

My beloved Virginia isn't a jewel either I am afraid.

I say we get 5 conferences.
It's really weird. IU has always been the least football oriented school in the conference. Minnesota may come in second, although a distant second, but at least U of M can be explained in the effect the establishment of the Vikings had on the Gophers, the only school outside of Northwestern in the conference that plays in the heart of a true metropolitan market (Ann Arbor being very fringe Detroit).

I realize that basketball has a lot to do with IU's grid aversion, but their biggest rival, Purdue, takes football seriously even though it is also a school with a long and successful basketball tradition.

It's almost ironic: by far the most cutlurally "southern" oriented school in the Big Ten, IU has nothing in common with the rabid football schools of the South (although there may be an overlap with UK, just south of the Ohio from them).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football