Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2011, 10:10 AM

354 posts, read 617,882 times

Advertisements

I read an article a little while ago on the growing number of colleges who are disbanding their football programs. The article highlighted Hofstra University and Northeastern University. I know that Hofstra has had a few of its players find their way to the NFL despite it being a division 1-AA program. Their was mention of other institutions that are considering disbanding their football programs as well. The reason was predominately economic.

I find this sad. I believe football can enhance a students college experience. Do you feel that this trend will continue to escelate in the future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 10:15 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanman76 View Post
I read an article a little while ago on the growing number of colleges who are disbanding their football programs. The article highlighted Hofstra University and Northeastern University. I know that Hofstra has had a few of its players find their way to the NFL despite it being a division 1-AA program. Their was mention of other institutions that are considering disbanding their football programs as well. The reason was predominately economic.

I find this sad. I believe football can enhance a students college experience. Do you feel that this trend will continue to escelate in the future?
Probably, because football has become so expensive. Equipment costs, travel costs, facility costs, and personnel costs are enormous to have a team with 70-90 players. Compare those costs to a basketball team that needs twelve players, two coaches, inexpensive uniforms, and a gymnasium.

Further, when you realize that parents can't tap into their exhausted home equity lines to pay tuition at private colleges, it gets very hard to justify tuition costs as they are, let alone supporting a money-sucking proposition.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:35 PM

2,326 posts, read 3,935,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Probably, because football has become so expensive. Equipment costs, travel costs, facility costs, and personnel costs are enormous to have a team with 70-90 players. Compare those costs to a basketball team that needs twelve players, two coaches, inexpensive uniforms, and a gymnasium.

Further, when you realize that parents can't tap into their exhausted home equity lines to pay tuition at private colleges, it gets very hard to justify tuition costs as they are, let alone supporting a money-sucking proposition.
That, and then those two universities are in an area of the country where college football probably doesn't have the popularity to justify having that many teams.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:12 PM

737 posts, read 1,148,912 times
More lower division schools will drop football. A few D1 schools may move to AA. There are still a few AA that will move up, and most will be sorry they did. It is getting too expensive and taxpayers and students are tired of subsidizing athletics.

At a smallish school like Youngstown St. the taxpayers and the university are subsidizing sports at the rate of 8.5 million a year. All of their tickets sales from all sports are only $402,000. Many colleges are in the same boat.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:07 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,498,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
More lower division schools will drop football. A few D1 schools may move to AA. There are still a few AA that will move up, and most will be sorry they did. It is getting too expensive and taxpayers and students are tired of subsidizing athletics.

At a smallish school like Youngstown St. the taxpayers and the university are subsidizing sports at the rate of 8.5 million a year. All of their tickets sales from all sports are only $402,000. Many colleges are in the same boat.
That's exactly why I laughed at anyone at another forum I frequent who canned on Montana for staying put when the WAC was starting to get poached.

Montana is only another cutesy small fish with a bunch of local players who'd get run out of town taking payday games to keep the athletics programs there alive if they moved up to D-1A...Montana is just fine where they are as a big fish in their pond.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:48 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Its an expensive sport, just like hockey.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:05 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,189,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Its an expensive sport, just like hockey.
I find that comment very relevant for me at least.

UNO started a hockey program over a decade ago and just dropped a 100 year old football program.

The one difference is that hockey takes less than half the players that football does. Title IX is going to be the end of more and more football programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football