U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 09:40 AM

356 posts, read 542,525 times

Advertisements

Lets face it. The Big East is dead as a football conference. Pitt and Syracuse are leaving, and TCU is reconsidering joining and instead going to the Big 12.

That leaves the Big East with 6 schools. USF, WV, Rutgers, Uconn, Cincey, and Louisville.

Most of these schools are undoubtedly looking for a way out also. Should be interesting to see where they go.

As a Big East fan this is a bummer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 09:43 AM

5,481 posts, read 10,408,183 times
Any Atlantic 10 teams or C-USA teams worthy of recruiting?

Old 10-07-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Any Atlantic 10 teams or C-USA teams worthy of recruiting?
All A10 football schools are D1-AA. There are rumors that Villanova may move their football program to D1-A and join the Big East since they are already in the conference for all other sports.

If anything I would think that recruiting a few C-USA teams would be a better option.

Either way, the Big East will probably lose its automatic BCS bid.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:14 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,817,680 times
Yeah I could see East Carolina, Central Florida and maybe Temple getting a look.

Anyway you slice it the future isn't bright for the Big East and the BCS.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:54 AM

1,640 posts, read 4,231,897 times
I think the Big East gets to keep their BCS bid through 2013, so it's gonna be a slow and painful death.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:01 PM

8 posts, read 5,744 times
I have no reason to dislike the Big East, but I see this as a good thing in some ways. As long as we're picking just two conference champions for a NC shot, I'd rather see all worthy competitors in 5 slightly larger conferences instead of being spread across 8. You don't have a buttload of undefeated teams at the end. Plus, between the SEC and ACC and the B1G- maybe even the Big 12, for inland schools like TCU- there's enough AQ coverage for everyone to have a place to land. By comparison, west coast schools have the Pac 12, the Big 12, and that's about it. (No, I don't consider Nebraska to be a west coast school).

If they do continue to exist, they'd be like the MWC of the East- and that's not all bad. Mid majors need a place to go that lets them play their way into a major conference, and the Sun Belt, Conf. USA, and MAC aren't really doing that.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:48 PM

Apparently the Big East is looking into adding Boise St.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:44 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,382,497 times
And it shows how bad it's gotten for the Big East when Boise State is questioning whether it's a good idea.

I think it would be smart to do it, though....that would be the easiest conference for them. They don't want to be like Utah. The travel would be bad but they already travel quite a bit as it is.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:47 AM

738 posts, read 969,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
And it shows how bad it's gotten for the Big East when Boise State is questioning whether it's a good idea.

I think it would be smart to do it, though....that would be the easiest conference for them. They don't want to be like Utah. The travel would be bad but they already travel quite a bit as it is.
I don't see BSU joining unless Army, Navy, Air Force, Villanova, and Temple commit first. They jumped too early to the MWC and then the best left.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:37 AM

1,640 posts, read 4,231,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post

Yeah, they might as well do it. The Big East is a polished turd but it's a step up from the Mtn West and has the BCS connection for at least a few years. Apparently they pretty much have it locked in through 2015 since there's a two year grace period after the 2013 evaluation.

I bet Boise State would love to be like Utah, but the Pac isn't interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football