U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 09:30 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,608,655 times

Advertisements

Was watching a highlight from the LSU-Florida game, which featured a spectacular fake punt that resulted in a touchdown. Well, it did -- until the referees saw fit to nullify the entire score because the kicker merely began high stepping on his way into the end zone.

This is absolutely the dumbest rule I've ever seen. I agree that there's probably a bit much too much showboating going on in all of sports these days, and I think it's fair to impose a penalty after the kickoff, as they have been doing for the past decade or 15 years. I can see imposing a penalty if the celebration is excessive or if players are deliberately taunting by spiking the ball in front of the opposing team or getting in someone's face. But since when is high stepping into the end zone taunting? It's just natural emotion. Why is the NCAA becoming anti fun all of a sudden?!

The real problem I have is that one of these college kids is going to forget this silly little rule and it's going to end up costing them a shot at a conference title or even the BCS national championship. NCAA needs to keep the rules against real taunting, but they need to lighten up a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 09:43 PM

8,746 posts, read 7,739,377 times
Good post, I agree.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:20 PM

2,818 posts, read 5,818,286 times
I am all good with it because the player who scored was an Aussie

But in all seriousness the NCAA has some whack rules, but all the players should know the rulebook.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
I am all good with it because the player who scored was an Aussie

But in all seriousness the NCAA has some whack rules, but all the players should know the rulebook.
The players should know the rule book, yes, but if you look at the video, you'll see that the guy barely broke his stride. It was just a mere moment of excitement in which he *started* to get carried away, but he quickly held it in check. Unfortunately it didn't matter.

The taunting rule was intended to stop the out-of-control end-zone dancing and getting up in the defender's faces and rubbing it in; it shouldn't be to take the spontaneous emotion out of the game.

NCAA has a lot of other things to worry about besides this.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:31 PM

2,818 posts, read 5,818,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
The players should know the rule book, yes, but if you look at the video, you'll see that the guy barely broke his stride. It was just a mere moment of excitement in which he *started* to get carried away, but he quickly held it in check. Unfortunately it didn't matter.

The taunting rule was intended to stop the out-of-control end-zone dancing and getting up in the defender's faces and rubbing it in; it shouldn't be to take the spontaneous emotion out of the game.

NCAA has a lot of other things to worry about besides this.
Yeah true, if that is what you call taunting, then that's pathetic, and heck, it was a punter who scored a TD, don't make that call , it's likely to be the only TD he will get.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:34 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,153,869 times
Yeah, it was inevitable that this would happen when they wrote the new rule.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:43 AM

It's almost like these NCAA execs and conference commissioners are trying to enforce some sort of code of conduct, or somehow bring etiquette to the game of football. When did football of all sports become a game of etiquette? Baseball has rules and unwritten rules about stuff like that, but not football.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:26 AM

3,912 posts, read 4,853,228 times
Meh. It was a penalty. It would have always been a penalty in recent CFB. It was obvious taunting. Players should know the rules.

LSU Punter Brad Wing Fake Punt for TD before penalty - YouTube

Old 10-13-2011, 02:37 PM

358 posts, read 591,408 times
When I saw the play I figured he was actually looking over at his own teammates as if to say 'look at me'... Is that considered taunting?

Old 10-13-2011, 02:44 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,766,104 times
Taking the TD away instead of applying the penalty to the next kickoff may be the stupidest rule in all of sports. Good work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or