U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 12:24 PM

272 posts, read 169,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
Give me a break. Missing a few players that went to OU or OSU isn't the cause of Texas' problems. The talent level from top to bottom at Texas is still way above SMU, TCU, Houston, K State, etc. I think the horns would lose to at least two of them, and possibly all four if played this weekend. Player development (that means coaching) has been subpar for a bit. Adding Jonathan Gray isn't going to suddenly make Texas a MNC contender unless the players around him develop.

I think an least worthy of discussion knock against Mack in his history at Texas is that he has relied on talent instead of player development.

this is true. more often than not. Mack Brown relies on athleticism over coaching.

if you need an example, look at VY...horrible QB in the NFL. If he was coached up on how to throw tight spirals and have field vision, he would be unstoppable. but all Mack Brown saw was a Rose Bowl title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 01:50 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,703,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
I'm not convinced Mack is washed up. But there are some signs, as last year proved, that all is not well.

I think the talent dropoff is obvious. The OL is of course suspect. And the WRs are nothing special. Some of them may be 5 stars - but they are over-rated 5 stars. I think it shows that player evaluation has been suspect for a while and that signing juniors carries risks. Mack is too loyal - both to coaches and players. No one last year was held accountable. The "we're Texas" mentality is arrogant and the players weren't hungry enough.

Not sure who makes decisions like the coach in waiting debacle. Is that Mack or DeLoss? It is dumb dumb dumb to do that. Paying your DC $900K+ is ridiculous. There seems to be a fair amount of sucking up going on too. Applewhite's status and pay is way too high for his demonstrated ability as a coach. But he is so loved by all - that they overpay him too.

I'm not convinced Harsin and Diaz will be around long either.

Mack may get it turned around. He deserves 2 years counting this season. If he doesn't get it done, the pathetic Longhorn fans will desert the team and leave the stadium at halftime instead of the 3rd quarter.
>>>>>
Mack may get it turned around. He deserves 2 years counting this season. If he doesn't get it done, the pathetic Longhorn fans will desert the team and leave the stadium at halftime instead of the 3rd quarter.
<<<<<

This is an absolute delight to Sooner fans!

Gotta love the fair-weathered Shorthorn fans. They can always cheer for the D-Cowboys if they blow their season again.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:26 PM

8,363 posts, read 8,360,332 times
There are too many absolutely ignorant things being written on this thread.

Carry on with the nonsense.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:47 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,703,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post

LOL, I agree, but it's fun to give you and your Bevo Brethren a hard time anyway.

Mack is one of the top 5 coaches in college football. I can't believe there would be any talk of firing him. Sure if he goes on to have losing seasons in 3-4 successive years that is something to look at. I don't think he is anywhere close to a "hot seat".

Old 10-18-2011, 09:14 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,151,941 times
I see a Google ad for A&M under one of gametime's posts. Coincidence?

Old 10-19-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post

how so?

Mack Brown is washed up? that's fact. that's not ignorant.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
I see a Google ad for A&M under one of gametime's posts. Coincidence?
Don't be butthurt. I'm just a realest Longhorn fan. I know when the team sucks and when they don't. and I also know when the head coach is washed up too.

Mack had his 10 year run. time to hang up the burnt orange pullover.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
LOL, I agree, but it's fun to give you and your Bevo Brethren a hard time anyway.

Mack is one of the top 5 coaches in college football. I can't believe there would be any talk of firing him. Sure if he goes on to have losing seasons in 3-4 successive years that is something to look at. I don't think he is anywhere close to a "hot seat".
even top5 coaches get complacent. and let UT drop another game to a team we're suppose to beat and see that seat get hot fast. Longhorn fans want to win now, not tomorrow and not next week.

If you look at how sloppy they've played this season, you'd understand the cause for concern. they should've beat OSU, but OK was a different story altogether. they just got whooped. period. but OSU was a winnable game. period.

OSU played sloppy but the worst part was UT played sloppier.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:33 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,743,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gametime View Post
even top5 coaches get complacent. and let UT drop another game to a team we're suppose to beat and see that seat get hot fast. Longhorn fans want to win now, not tomorrow and not next week.

If you look at how sloppy they've played this season, you'd understand the cause for concern. they should've beat OSU, but OK was a different story altogether. they just got whooped. period. but OSU was a winnable game. period.

OSU played sloppy but the worst part was UT played sloppier.
Well, we did have to play two top 5 teams in a row... (OU & OSU)

Old 10-19-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Well, we did have to play two top 5 teams in a row... (OU & OSU)
And if UT had no drop off in talent due to Mack Brown not recruiting well, they would've beat those teams.

the sooners RARELY have a drop off in talent. Stoops attracted that.

Mack Brown seems to have hidden agendas because he gets dead set on players HE LIKES. which is why Drew Brees sailed under his radar but was playing in his backyard at Westlake. go figure.

Now his agenda(IMO), is to get Case McCoy to the NFL by any means neccessary. because you can bet David Ash will not start the next game. it will be Case, by hook or crook.

Because how is that if UT is the brass of the Big 12, all the blue chip talent goes to Oklahoma? must be something to do with the COACH they want to play for, if you ask me.

How do we let Landry Jones get away to the Sooners, but all we can seem to attract is a little brother of a past QB, and he's considered the best QB on the team?

I smell a RAT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football