U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 10:39 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,748,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gametime View Post
so where do you get Colt never left the game from?

He never came back into the game. I can still see him and his dad walking back through the tunnel heading to the sidelines...lol...

Were you watching the same game as everybody else?
No, you thought Colt left the game during the Nebraska Game. You even said this:

Quote:
Colt was a wimp for pulling out of the Nebraska game
Quote:
I meant the game where Adamakung Suh tapped Colt on the shoulder and he left the game for good...like the wuss that he is..that game.
You meant, Ndamakong Suh (who played for Nebraska). Colt never left the game during the Nebraska game. Suh never caused Colt to leave the game.

Colt left the game during the ALABAMA GAME. Did you even watch any of these games? You don't even know who Texas played...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 10:47 AM

272 posts, read 170,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
No, you thought Colt left the game during the Nebraska Game. You even said this:

You meant, Ndamakong Suh (who played for Nebraska). Colt never left the game during the Nebraska game.

Colt left the game during the ALABAMA GAME. Did you even watch any of these games?
so I made a mistake. and yes I saw them both. fact is, Gilbert came in and played well and saved Colts behind and look how Mack Brown thanked him. he cut him. while Colt mosey on to the NFL. that's foul in anybody's book.

and for the record, Colt played horrible against Suh and the gang. why didn't Mack pull him and play gilbert then?

favoritism. the spotlight was on Colt and that's what Mack wanted. he didn't care if he won. he just wanted the NFL scouts to see Colt in action on national TV.

Mack Brown reminds me a lot of Rick Barnes(hoops)...Both are not really concerned with developing players, just concerned with getting on National TV to hock off players to the pros.

This is why the B-ball team stinks every year or only have one star to carry the load. I don't blame Kevin Durant and others for leaving early. Barnes doesn't care so why should they care?

Old 10-19-2011, 10:56 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,748,219 times
Quote:
so I made a mistake. and yes I saw them both. fact is, Gilbert came in and played well and saved Colts behind and look how Mack Brown thanked him. he cut him. while Colt mosey on to the NFL. that's foul in anybody's book.

and for the record, Colt played horrible against Suh and the gang. why didn't Mack pull him and play gilbert then?

favoritism. the spotlight was on Colt and that's what Mack wanted. he didn't care if he won. he just wanted the NFL scouts to see Colt in action on national TV.

Mack Brown reminds me a lot of Rick Barnes(hoops)...Both are not really concerned with developing players, just concerned with getting on National TV to hock off players to the pros.

This is why the B-ball team stinks every year or only have one star to carry the load. I don't blame Kevin Durant and others for leaving early. Barnes doesn't care so why should they care?
Fair point... Barnes once said "it is my job to make sure players get to the NBA"... I had to face palm on that one-- it is his job to win championships! We aren't developing a NBA program at Texas! Gah!!!!

Old 10-19-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Fair point... Barnes once said "it is my job to make sure players get to the NBA"... I had to face palm on that one-- it is his job to win championships! We aren't developing a NBA program at Texas! Gah!!!!
wow

Now all we need is Mack Brown to say the same thing. I bet that's how he feels too.

UT pays him something like $5million a year right? wow

Old 10-19-2011, 12:02 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,382,927 times
I always hate that excuse, that a team or program is better because they send more players to the pros.
There's a lot of that going around here with Fresno State as compared to Boise State. They beat us 57-7 but it's okay because "we send more players to the pros than they do...."

It's a high school coaching mindset.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:39 PM

8,309 posts, read 34,435,033 times
Quote:
I think so.

55-17 and then 38-24 is what happens when you're so used to playing wimpy teams, then a couple Powewrhouses in your own conference mind you, come in and smack you in the mouth and bring you back to reality. Recruitment is key.

This is why the Longhorns should be in the SEC. to lure some of those blue chip players that would LOVE to wear the Burnt Orange and White.

You can't tell me that all that talent on OK and OSU are just from Oklahoma. NO, they are most likely from the Southeast of the country. at least some coaches know how to recruit.

Mack Brown is washed up. Let's face facts. He can't recruit anymore.

He went out and got Malcolm Brown and barely uses him. wtf?

and find a QB please!

Kicked Garrett Gilbert off the team bascially by benching him, the BEST QB we had. dogged him out and ruined his confidence. so he jumped shipped.

I think I know what it is....he's trying his hardest to make sure Case McCoy gets his chance at the NFL so he's forcing his hand on playing that loser. Case McCoy is not good, period. that's obvious. no arm, just scrambles around like a scared kid, which is the only weapon he has. He's no VY by a long shot. it's a reason David Ash started against OSU. and he's not that good either.

So now what?

Can somebody please call Garrett Gilbert and tell him we're sorry?
The horns had a great run at the top of the nation and their recruiting is and has been among the best. I think what we're seeing is that UT has had the luxury of selecting players that offer both the requisite athletic ability and good character. A lot of great players have been passed over because there may have been some questionable items on a background investigation - those players wind up at OU, OSU, A&M, TCU, Baylor, LSU, U of H, etc. etc., which, IMO, is why we started to see a resurgence of the programs that compete for talent in the same geographic region as the Longhorns about four years after Mac Brown's NCAA championship. Once they started to get picky, everyone else started to get better.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
The horns had a great run at the top of the nation and their recruiting is and has been among the best. I think what we're seeing is that UT has had the luxury of selecting players that offer both the requisite athletic ability and good character. A lot of great players have been passed over because there may have been some questionable items on a background investigation - those players wind up at OU, OSU, A&M, TCU, Baylor, LSU, U of H, etc. etc., which, IMO, is why we started to see a resurgence of the programs that compete for talent in the same geographic region as the Longhorns about four years after Mac Brown's NCAA championship. Once they started to get picky, everyone else started to get better.
YOu may have forgotten all those drug dealers Mack Brown recruited some years ago. Romance Taylor comes to mind.

Even Cedric Benson is a well known thug. just ask APD..lol

so Texas hasn't been the model of good character players at all. by a longshot.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:56 PM

8,309 posts, read 34,435,033 times
Quote:
YOu may have forgotten all those drug dealers Mack Brown recruited some years ago. Romance Taylor comes to mind.

Even Cedric Benson is a well known thug. just ask APD..lol

so Texas hasn't been the model of good character players at all. by a longshot.
I haven't forgotten that at all. I'm saying that when the pressure was on the 'Horns to clean up their act, everyone else that UT competed with started to recover.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:55 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,561,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I haven't forgotten that at all. I'm saying that when the pressure was on the 'Horns to clean up their act, everyone else that UT competed with started to recover.
Your earlier post said UT could get all the great athletes that had great character. Yet the surge in player arrests over the last four years flies in the face of your statement.

Book 'em, Horns | Five football players jailed this season | KXAN.com

Another Longhorn Football Player Arrested: Austinist

2007 Texas Longhorns football suspensions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So did Texas recruit and win with "good" kids or "bad" kids? Did they decide that "bad" kids were OK to recruit? And are you saying that when Mack decided not to coddle the "bad" kids that other teams got better?

I think the evidence suggests that Texas did NOT take enough care to screen its recruits followed by relaxed team rules once they were on the roster. Cedric Benson isn't even on the lists above. He kicked down a door to an apartment because he thought someone had his TV.

When these "bad" boys left the team, they didn't suddenly show up on the roster of TCU, A&M, or OU.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Your earlier post said UT could get all the great athletes that had great character. Yet the surge in player arrests over the last four years flies in the face of your statement.

Book 'em, Horns | Five football players jailed this season | KXAN.com

Another Longhorn Football Player Arrested: Austinist

2007 Texas Longhorns football suspensions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So did Texas recruit and win with "good" kids or "bad" kids? Did they decide that "bad" kids were OK to recruit? And are you saying that when Mack decided not to coddle the "bad" kids that other teams got better?

I think the evidence suggests that Texas did NOT take enough care to screen its recruits followed by relaxed team rules once they were on the roster. Cedric Benson isn't even on the lists above. He kicked down a door to an apartment because he thought someone had his TV.

When these "bad" boys left the team, they didn't suddenly show up on the roster of TCU, A&M, or OU.
Living in Austin, let me answer this one by saying they were good kids gone bad...by the life of living the Burnt Orange. it's hard to explain but once you get on those 40acres and see all those females and cool people, you can get the bighead real quick because they treat the team like NFL stars.

I had the chance to meet Ricky Williams and I swear not even 1 minute into trying to talk to him and get a picture with him, a car rolls by with about 6 co-eds in it stopped and screamed "RICKY WE LOVE YOU!!!"..

It made me feel special and I wasn't even on the team...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football