U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 05:34 AM

1,475 posts, read 3,373,138 times

Advertisements

I usually don't like defensive battles either, but what a smash-mouth, physical game this was. Sure, the offenses are low-end compared to some other conferences, but lets see Andrew Luck do his thing against either one of those defenses. Boise would get smeared, and we all know what happened to Oregon. This game was old-fashioned, gritty football and it was fun to see the goal-line stand by Bama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 06:29 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,607,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
What a show by both teams!

As someone who enjoys pro football, please tell me that college ball can be more exciting than the display put on this evening.
Envy's a bad thing.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:38 AM

2,091 posts, read 3,017,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
I usually don't like defensive battles either, but what a smash-mouth, physical game this was. Sure, the offenses are low-end compared to some other conferences, but lets see Andrew Luck do his thing against either one of those defenses. Boise would get smeared, and we all know what happened to Oregon. This game was old-fashioned, gritty football and it was fun to see the goal-line stand by Bama.
Yep, they put up 27 points and 330 yards on LSU. Since LSU only pulled away when Oregon turned it over and over, I think an Oregon-LSU rematch would be great...but I'm an Oregon honk, so I'm a little biased.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:42 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,607,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
It is hard to bet against the SEC, but the streak must end sometime, and I don't think this LSU team is quite as good as the previous championship teams.
As someone who has watched plenty of SEC football, I beg to differ. For one thing, two of the previous SEC/BCS champions over the past 10 years have been LSU teams. One coached by Saban in 2003 and the other by Miles in 2007. I can say, without hesitation, that this LSU team is absolutely better than either of those teams. Not to say that the difference is extreme, but there's no question that this year's LSU squad is better than either of those two teams. And this LSU team is better than last year's Auburn team -- by some. I think this year's Alabama team is also better than last year's Auburn team -- by some. Cam Newton would have been shut down by either of these defenses. Not a doubt in my mind.

Now, is LSU as good as Florida in 2008? Are they as good as Florida in 2006? That's a fair debate. I think that the LSU defense of 2011 is better than those Gators' teams, but Urban Meyers' offenses were an unstoppable machine. Maybe more so in 2006 than 2008.

Is this year's LSU team better than Alabama in 2009? Probably not. I think that might be the best SEC/BCS title team I've seen to date. I honestly thought that this year's Alabama team might be about as good as the 2009 title team, but maybe not quite that good.

All of that being said, none of that means anything if LSU lets its foot off the gas pedal and doesn't bring its best football to the field in any of the upcoming games. There's still a lot of football left to play. LSU still has to be up for a very game Arkansas team that might also still be playing for a national championship. Personally, I think LSU can handle Arkansas at home this year. They're more experienced, and they're looking to pay back the Razorbacks for beating them in previous years. LSU then has to go to the SEC title game where it's looking more and more like they would square off against Georgia -- in the Georgia Dome. Not an easy task there either. So yeah, lots of football left for LSU. Can't anoint them just yet.

As for the debate about who LSU would or should play (assuming they get to the title game), I think that LSU should probably play an undefeated team. If there are no undefeated teams remaining at the end of the year, then you could make a serious case for Alabama getting a rematch. They lost, but only in overtime, and only because their kicker was off the mark. If Bama has a better kicking game, then we're talking about Alabama in the BCS game and not LSU. If anyone deserves a rematch with LSU, it would be Bama, not Oregon.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Yep, they put up 27 points and 330 yards on LSU. Since LSU only pulled away when Oregon turned it over and over, I think an Oregon-LSU rematch would be great...but I'm an Oregon honk, so I'm a little biased.

Yep. And they lost the game. LSU pounded the ball down Oregon's throat with very mediocre running backs. And LSU forced turnovers. Great defenses do that. Good offense can only go so far, as we saw in the LSU/Oregon game. Defense ultimately won last night also.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Yep. And they lost the game. LSU pounded the ball down Oregon's throat with very mediocre running backs. And LSU forced turnovers. Great defenses do that. Good offense can only go so far, as we saw in the LSU/Oregon game. Defense ultimately won last night also.
Oregon still put up more yards and points than anyone LSU has faced since. Lost in all the LSU lovefest (which I happen to believe is the best team in the nation) is that Oregon had freshman DBs, a rebuilt DL, a rebuilt OL, and 2 starting LBs who did not play. The game was won in the trenches (and a healthy dose of Oregon turnovers), but I have no doubt the Ducks would play LSU a lot tighter-and have a legit shot to win if they were to play again.

It is all for not though. Oregon will return to the NC next year and will more than likely meet up with a SEC team once more.

And to say LSU's rbs are mediocre is absolutely ignorant. Ware, Ford, Hilliard, Blue were all highly recruited and it was more of LSU's sad offensive scheme under Gary Crowton last year (which was horrible) and this year's lack of a vertical passing game. LSU is averaging 4.2 ypc- Any coach would take that all day long!

Old 11-06-2011, 07:28 AM

8,374 posts, read 8,366,401 times
OU and Oklahoma State would beat either one of those teams.

Both QBs, the receivers, and the offensive coordinators are bad.

It sucks when your highlights are nothing but field goals.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Oregon still put up more yards and points than anyone LSU has faced since.
That's a nice feeling and all, but the W is all that really matters. And check out how many yards West Virginia put on LSU. They had over 500 yards of offense.
Quote:

Lost in all the LSU lovefest (which I happen to believe is the best team in the nation) is that Oregon had freshman DBs, a rebuilt DL, a rebuilt OL, and 2 starting LBs who did not play. The game was won in the trenches (and a healthy dose of Oregon turnovers), but I have no doubt the Ducks would play LSU a lot tighter-and have a legit shot to win if they were to play again.
And LSU wouldn't play a harder game than they did early in the season? LOL it goes both ways. LSU was also dealing with personnel issues of their own early on, and are playing like a much improved team. Both teams have improved, so in my opinion, LSU would again hand the Ducks a loss. I believe the same for Bama. Richardson would have a field day with the Oregon Defense.

Quote:
And to say LSU's rbs are mediocre is absolutely ignorant. Ware, Ford, Hilliard, Blue were all highly recruited and it was more of LSU's sad offensive scheme under Gary Crowton last year (which was horrible) and this year's lack of a vertical passing game. LSU is averaging 4.2 ypc- Any coach would take that all day long!
When compared to Bama's running backs, yeah they are mediocre.

Regardless, you are right, this would be a fun game to see again.

Last edited by PeytonC; 11-06-2011 at 07:41 AM..

Old 11-06-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
That's a nice feeling and all, but the W is all that really matters. And check out how many yards West Virginia put on LSU. You kind of didn't check on that, did you?

And LSU wouldn't play a harder game than they did early in the season? LOL it goes both ways. LSU was also dealing with personnel issues of their own early on, and are playing like a much improved team. Both teams have improved, so in my opinion, LSU would again hand the Ducks a loss. I believe the same for Bama. Richardson would have a field day with the Oregon Defense.

When compared to Bama's running backs, yeah they are mediocre.
Oh yes, WVU- well, that would just give Oregon a blueprint- throw the ball 70 times game. And since Oregon has better backs, I think we would see a ton of our backs coming out of the backfield for dump off passes. To say Oregon would turn it over 4 times again is either clairvoyant or just a guess- and I'm betting you cannot foresee anything. Have you seen what DeAnthony Thomas is doing now?-killing it. I'm not sure he would turn it over again-possibly, but he isn't carrying the ball like a loaf of bread antmore. Here's the thing- IMO LSU played a fairly flawless game and Oregon didn't. Too many turnovers contributed heavily to the Duck loss.

Richardson is a great back, but he struggled against Vandy and Tennessee, so he isn't superman and can be stopped. Cam Newton was adequately contained when everyone said he couldn't be.

And as far as the outcome in a rematch- I guess we won't know, as Oregon can only hope for the Rose Bowl.

Your Bama will have to wait unitl next year to face us

Last edited by Acuda; 11-06-2011 at 08:06 AM..

Old 11-06-2011, 08:35 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,327,923 times
Stanford would beat both of those teams. Better Oline, bigger, more physical offense, better QB. Their defense isn't great, but it's not like LSU or Bama have great offenses either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or