U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 12:59 PM

8,379 posts, read 8,371,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Not at all, it was a defense vs defense game, that's all.
That's because both offenses seem like they suck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 01:07 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,728,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Actually both offenses are excellent. But a superior defense almost always makes a really good offense look inept.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:09 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,608,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Actually both offenses are excellent. But a superior defense almost always makes a really good offense look inept.
I wouldn't say excellent; I agree that Stanford and Oregon (and maybe OK St.) have better offenses, but I would say that they're still pretty good though. And yes, the defenses were top notch. The defenses are what separate LSU and Alabama from the others.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:11 PM

3,960 posts, read 2,511,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
I guess I was left a little umimpressed after the two weeks of the non-stop ESPN cirlce jerk about both teams being all-time SEC greats. I'm not sure if they're even the best teams LSU or Bama has fielded in the past five years, let alone the SEC over the past five. Their defenses are definitely great, but the offenses and special teams are far from elite.

LSU should be number one and Bama deserves to hang around in the top five, but I really hope there's no rematch. It kinda kills the whole regular season is a playoff arguement. Might as well see how Okie State or Stanford measure up (assuming they're undefeated). JMO, feel free to crush it if you disagree.
ESPN is the king of hyperbole. I was looking at the game for what it was: #1 vs #2 in 2011. I never thought they were all-time greats, no matter what ESPN says (I learned to filter them a long time ago).

#1 vs #2 doesnt happen all of the time in the regular season, so you know ESPN was going to run with it...

Old 11-06-2011, 01:19 PM

788 posts, read 1,379,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
What game where you watching? The offenses helped those "superior" defenses at times.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:03 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,413,490 times
It's amazing how many people came out from rocks to talk about how boring the game was and how bad the Offenses were, and how bad the SEC is overall, and how these teams would lose to other teams.

Where was the talk beforehand? It's easy to talk after...

The major difference in the SEC and other conferences is they put the best players & athletes on defense while the other conferences put their best players & athletes on offense. This is one of the main reasons the SEC has better defense than offense.

So if u are gonna say the SEC offenses suck you need to call it both ways and say the defenses suck in all the other conferences...

Old 11-06-2011, 02:26 PM

1,640 posts, read 4,229,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
It's amazing how many people came out from rocks to talk about how boring the game was and how bad the Offenses were, and how bad the SEC is overall, and how these teams would lose to other teams.

Where was the talk beforehand? It's easy to talk after...

The major difference in the SEC and other conferences is they put the best players & athletes on defense while the other conferences put their best players & athletes on offense. This is one of the main reasons the SEC has better defense than offense.

So if u are gonna say the SEC offenses suck you need to call it both ways and say the defenses suck in all the other conferences...
Where are all these people? I read two comments since the game saying other teams would beat Bama/LSU and no comments making blanket statement about SEC offenses. Its been a pretty fair discussion and hasn't drifted into the normal SEC vs The World arguement that normally occurs...yet.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:45 PM

8,379 posts, read 8,371,514 times
Great defenses are nice, but most folks like to see some good offense. That's what makes football exciting.

I usually root for Bama, but the Tide really needs a skilled kicker.

Plus the SEC needs better refs & a competent review guy.

And yeah, most of the Dinky Dozen (Big 12) defenses suck wind.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:52 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,413,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Where are all these people? I read two comments since the game saying other teams would beat Bama/LSU and no comments making blanket statement about SEC offenses. Its been a pretty fair discussion and hasn't drifted into the normal SEC vs The World arguement that normally occurs...yet.

I counted 5 comments in the last few pages regarding how bad the defenses were and/or how Luck would do better and/or how OK st, Oregon, or Stanford would would do better as well...

Old 11-07-2011, 12:06 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,759,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I would advise you to watch more games. They aren't the greatest offenses, but with two decent QBs, and a running game to boot, they don't "suck."

Can't speak for Bama much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or