Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 11:13 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,870,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Your Bama will have to wait unitl next year to face us
I'm sure "My" Bama would LOVE to play the Oregon OR Boise. Wow what an epic game. I know a lot of us Bama fans would love to see that. Even more epic? Bama/Stanford. Either way, I hope that LSU and Stanford win out, meet in the NCG, and Bama gets a chance to blow out Boise/Oregon in a bowl game. Notice I said *chance*. I'm not diluted enought to say that would happen for sure, but it would be nice to see Bama put some funky ideas to rest. If Bama has to rely on special teams, well...we know what would happen. Otherwise, I think T-Rich could slice through either teams' defense and have a good game. On the other side of the line, those teams haven't seen a defense in the same stratosphere as either Bama or LSU, with the exception of Oregon (which lost). True, Oregon put up decent yards on LSU, but like you said, LSU has tightened up since then, and when it comes down to sheer numbers, Bama's defense overall is still stronger than LSU's by a hair. It's exciting just thinking about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 11:33 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
I'm sure "My" Bama would LOVE to play the Oregon OR Boise. Wow what an epic game. I know a lot of us Bama fans would love to see that. Even more epic? Bama/Stanford. Either way, I hope that LSU and Stanford win out, meet in the NCG, and Bama gets a chance to blow out Boise/Oregon in a bowl game. Notice I said *chance*. I'm not diluted enought to say that would happen for sure, but it would be nice to see Bama put some funky ideas to rest. If Bama has to rely on special teams, well...we know what would happen. Otherwise, I think T-Rich could slice through either teams' defense and have a good game. On the other side of the line, those teams haven't seen a defense in the same stratosphere as either Bama or LSU, with the exception of Oregon (which lost). True, Oregon put up decent yards on LSU, but like you said, LSU has tightened up since then, and when it comes down to sheer numbers, Bama's defense overall is still stronger than LSU's by a hair. It's exciting just thinking about it.
As an LSU fan, I'll say it: there are a lot of teams out there that could beat LSU. But the team that worries me the most is Bama. I would not want to face Alabama again, even if it's in the Super Dome. You guys are good, and Saban's a wizard. Beating him once was hard enough; beating him twice would be asking a lot.

On a side note, I gotta question for ya. How would, as a Bama watcher, compare this year's Bama team to the one in 2009 that won the title? I had thought, and almost still do think, that this year's Bama squad is every bit as good as that one. Running game might be a little more reliant on one back (Richardson) than it was back then, but the passing game is definitely better. Total offense looks better this year then back then. Would you agree or disagree? What about the defense?

Old 11-06-2011, 11:41 AM

One more thing, I love Boise St. Would love to see them play either Bama or LSU in a title match. Too bad they won't get the chance, but they could probably play Bama, LSU, or Arkansas* in the Sugar Bowl.

*By the way, I still think Arkansas has a remote chance to compete for the title game, and we can't overlook them just yet. In all likelihood, Arkansas will face off against LSU in Baton Rouge. LSU will probably come in undefeated, barring a shocker at Ole Miss. And Arkansas will come in with their lone loss being an ugly tail kicking by Alabama in Tuscaloosa. I think my money's on LSU, but suppose Arkansas lights the defense up like a Christmas tree and steals one. It's not likely but still possible they, and not LSU or Alabama, could play for the SEC title game. If that happens, though, that might end the SEC's run in the BCS game. It's entirely possible (and perhaps likely) that Stanford/Oregon winner would take on OU/OSU if Arkansas somehow pulls a stone-cold stunner. Arkansas would get into the title game only if everyone else beat each other. And SEC doesn't want its conference's version of BYU (all offense and no defense) to represent it in the big game. Look for the SEC refs to rig the game at LSU. LOL.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:55 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,870,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
As an LSU fan, I'll say it: there are a lot of teams out there that could beat LSU. But the team that worries me the most is Bama. I would not want to face Alabama again, even if it's in the Super Dome.
You and me both. That was, for me, the most exciting, no-touchdown, defensive battle game that I have watched. Seeing how Bama stopped you guys inside the 3, the two nice picks, and overall defensive play was nice. I think one only needs to compare each team's previous games this season to this one to see how truly hard fought it was. Both teams have better offenses than this game showed, but the trick is THESE DEFENSES ARE MONSTERS! They make ANY offense look weak.
Quote:
On a side note, I gotta question for ya. How would, as a Bama watcher, compare this year's Bama team to the one in 2009 that won the title? I had thought, and almost still do think, that this year's Bama squad is every bit as good as that one. Running game might be a little more reliant on one back (Richardson) than it was back then, but the passing game is definitely better. Total offense looks better this year then back then. Would you agree or disagree? What about the defense?
For me, the biggest factor separating this Bama team from the '09 squad is QB. McElroy, while far from top-notch overall, stepped up to the challenge big time in 2009 in the game against Florida, which was the equivalent game to this year's LSU matchup. It was all on the line, and in the end it came to that. That was easily the best game Greg Mac played. He did some crazy stuff to get it done. Last night, LSU was too much for AJ, and his experience and skill level showed. He is not a terrible QB, but he doesn't have that "it" factor that GMac did when it mattered most. The level of defenses they both had to face was different also, IMO, with LSU's current team being rediculously tough.

On defense, I personally think this Bama defense is better than the 2009 D. They are right there with you guys on numbers, ahead in some categories, and without actually going back to see the exact numbers, I would bet this D would rank higher than that of 2009.

And of course, this goes without saying, but our Special teams is horrendous! And why would Saban put limping Maze out to return a punt?! He could have put Richardson out there to at least fair catch it and save 20+ yards. That was weird. Bad penalties, bad plays execution, and in the end, missed coverages sealed the deal on this one. I had fun watching it, a true defensive, smash-mouth, physical battle. Your team fought like hell, and in the end had more weapons to get it done.

(PS) Tell the honey badger to have a little more class (when you talk to him again). This is the only area where Bama excelled last night, not losing their cool after his trash-talking and dirty playing. I know kids will be kids, but man, it's a sport and lines should be drawn somewhere. No big deal, since Bama took the high road, but that one single event sadly has caused me to question whether I will support LSU in the NCG. I'm usually an SEC homer, even pulling for Auburn last year in the end.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:59 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,653,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
One more thing, I love Boise St. Would love to see them play either Bama or LSU in a title match. Too bad they won't get the chance, but they could probably play Bama, LSU, or Arkansas* in the Sugar Bowl.

*By the way, I still think Arkansas has a remote chance to compete for the title game, and we can't overlook them just yet. In all likelihood, Arkansas will face off against LSU in Baton Rouge. LSU will probably come in undefeated, barring a shocker at Ole Miss. And Arkansas will come in with their lone loss being an ugly tail kicking by Alabama in Tuscaloosa. I think my money's on LSU, but suppose Arkansas lights the defense up like a Christmas tree and steals one. It's not likely but still possible they, and not LSU or Alabama, could play for the SEC title game. If that happens, though, that might end the SEC's run in the BCS game. It's entirely possible (and perhaps likely) that Stanford/Oregon winner would take on OU/OSU if Arkansas somehow pulls a stone-cold stunner. Arkansas would get into the title game only if everyone else beat each other. And SEC doesn't want its conference's version of BYU (all offense and no defense) to represent it in the big game. Look for the SEC refs to rig the game at LSU. LOL.
^^ Agreed. And I like how no one on the telecast even mentioned this.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:05 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,282,773 times
LSU and Stanford, would be terrifying to play Bama again, even at home in the Dome.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:10 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,022,524 times
I guess the problem was that offenses were too inept for such a highly hyped game, defense or no defense.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:21 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,282,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
I guess the problem was that offenses were too inept for such a highly hyped game, defense or no defense.
Not at all, it was a defense vs defense game, that's all.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:34 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,705,940 times
I guess I was left a little umimpressed after the two weeks of the non-stop ESPN cirlce jerk about both teams being all-time SEC greats. I'm not sure if they're even the best teams LSU or Bama has fielded in the past five years, let alone the SEC over the past five. Their defenses are definitely great, but the offenses and special teams are far from elite.

LSU should be number one and Bama deserves to hang around in the top five, but I really hope there's no rematch. It kinda kills the whole regular season is a playoff arguement. Might as well see how Okie State or Stanford measure up (assuming they're undefeated). JMO, feel free to crush it if you disagree.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
I guess I was left a little umimpressed after the two weeks of the non-stop ESPN cirlce jerk about both teams being all-time SEC greats. I'm not sure if they're even the best teams LSU or Bama has fielded in the past five years, let alone the SEC over the past five. Their defenses are definitely great, but the offenses and special teams are far from elite.

LSU should be number one and Bama deserves to hang around in the top five, but I really hope there's no rematch. It kinda kills the whole regular season is a playoff arguement. Might as well see how Okie State or Stanford measure up (assuming they're undefeated). JMO, feel free to crush it if you disagree.
Being an LSU fan I can at least compare some of the teams of LSU, and you saw the Bama fan's comparison, which seemed valid.

I'll put it this way. The LSU offense of 2007 was probably the best I've seen. Great running game and Matt Flynn, while no Tyler Wilson or Marc Sanchez, was a guy who would make good passes without making big mental errors. This year's offense at LSU is probably not particularly great. In fact, I would agree that it's probably the weakest when compared to 2003 and 2007, but it's probably as good as the other more competitive teams. It's still very effective, and capable of making big plays Just not as consistent.

This year's defense? Without question the best LSU defense I've ever seen. I was wondering if the Oregon game might have just been a sign of Oregon's weakness, and I would admit that this year's Ducks might not be as good as last year's runner up squad. But the LSU defense is just dominant in all respects. Teams cannot run against them. Teams cannot pass against them. Teams can't even trick play them. Teams get the ball stripped and picked. LSU's defense may not be the best ever in terms of getting to the QB but they still do it with regularity. What LSU *is* good at is covering receivers, especially deep so that the offenses can't stretch the field. LSU's even better at guarding against the run. They force a lot of 3rd downs and 5 or 10 to go.

The big thing that impresses me about LSU though is that they just make big plays. When you look at the yards, it's not a particularly impressive team. But they make big plays over and over again. And they just have this way of breaking opponents' backs. The Auburn game was a classic case of that. Auburn tried to hang tough. They would occasionally move the ball, but then LSU would just force a turnover and it would take the wind out of their sails. They then went out and forced another couple of turnovers and you could just tell that Auburn had pretty much had the fight taken out of them. To their credit, the Ducks still kept on fighting when they got gut punched. A credit to Chip Kelly's relentless coaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football