U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 09:33 AM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,217,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I think TCU should be ranked right now. I think they will be next week.
BYU should have done better, but self destructed. They could have won if they played the whole game clean. 2 crucial int's and 3 botched punts. All 5 plays were critical. TCU played well, no turnovers, solid win.

I do think Boise will beat the frogs. Boise will go undefeated, and who knows.....things would have to go just right for them....
Meh. Who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 10:14 AM

8,262 posts, read 16,394,241 times
Yea. Boise needs to schedule some stiffer competition at the back of the season. No real reason for anyone to put them in the BCS title game when the toughest opponent you have late in the year is TCU or Nevada.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:07 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,385,936 times
You usually don't see a lot of non-conference games being played during the last part of the season, so Boise would have to just be in a better conference to get quality opponents in Nov.-Dec.

I'm sure Boise would like to schedule more quality opponents, but it's a two way street, and a lot of those schools don't want to play them.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:22 PM

674 posts, read 1,257,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
I'm sure Boise would like to schedule more quality opponents, but it's a two way street, and a lot of those schools don't want to play them.
It is and it isn't.

While we have had problems finding elite teams to play us, we also carry terms with some of these games. Ideally, we want a home and home, or at least an away, home, away series. A "neutral" single game also works for us.

But our former AD has been on the record saying we prefer 2 elite OOC games, and 2 home OOC games (for revenue purposes). Trying to get that is a balance.

Of course, there's nothing we can do right now about the strength of our conference play.

-----------------------

With Boise, the argument is always different. Someone said something about not rewarding BSU for the strength of its schedule (or lack thereof) and that any team can get up for one game at a time... I'd say this:

Regarding the one-game thing: our toughest games are at the beginning of the season and at the end. There is no conceivable reason why the teams we play can't equally "get up" for those games, especially those at the beginning of the year. 2009 Oregon was the Pac 10 champ. 2010 Va Tech was the ACC champ. 2011 Georgia will probably play in the SEC championship game. These teams had no reason not to beat Boise State... no reason to look past them... no reason to be out coached or out played...

Regarding rewarding us for the strength of schedule... I would agree but I think with the case of nonAQ schools you have to look at the "body of work" over several years.

BSU is 45-2 since 2008. Those two losses were by 1 point to TCU in the Poinsettia Bowl, and 3 to Nevada last year. 4 points total; 4 points away from 4 straight undefeated seasons (assuming we go undefeated this year).

That should count for something.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:53 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,418,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hp1167 View Post

Regarding rewarding us for the strength of schedule... I would agree but I think with the case of nonAQ schools you have to look at the "body of work" over several years.

BSU is 45-2 since 2008. Those two losses were by 1 point to TCU in the Poinsettia Bowl, and 3 to Nevada last year. 4 points total; 4 points away from 4 straight undefeated seasons (assuming we go undefeated this year).

Body of Work? really... you want to have a special rule for nonAQ schools so Boise can get in? To show how ridiculous that is, you need to look at the rule the other way around...

Let's say they hit a slump after Moore leaves... And they are mediocre for 3 years going 21-15 over that stretch. Then they are great the 4th year and are 12-0. They should not get in because the previous 3 years they were avg?

Old 11-04-2011, 03:52 PM

674 posts, read 1,257,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Body of Work? really... you want to have a special rule for nonAQ schools so Boise can get in? To show how ridiculous that is, you need to look at the rule the other way around...

Let's say they hit a slump after Moore leaves... And they are mediocre for 3 years going 21-15 over that stretch. Then they are great the 4th year and are 12-0. They should not get in because the previous 3 years they were avg?

Actually, that's already the case with the non AQ's. It's the reason Houston is in the low teens while Boise State is number 5 in the rankings despite having the same record.

With the nonAQs it take a number of years to prove themselves. Boise has been doing it every year since 2004, which is how we can start with a preseason ranking of 4.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:31 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,418,269 times
Quote:
Actually, that's already the case with the non AQ's. It's the reason Houston is in the low teens while Boise State is number 5 in the rankings despite having the same record.

With the nonAQs it take a number of years to prove themselves. Boise has been doing it every year since 2004, which is how we can start with a preseason ranking of 4.
When was Boise 12-0 and didn't get in?

Old 11-04-2011, 04:43 PM

8,566 posts, read 9,685,146 times
Boise State-- The National Championship

Sounds like a fun idea. Too bad it couldn't have been Boise vs Texas.

Maybe next year.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:30 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,333,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
When was Boise 12-0 and didn't get in?
12-0 in 2004, 2006, 2008, and 2009.

They probably didn't legitimately deserve a look until 2009, though.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:52 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,616,458 times
Quote:

I think Boise St.'s run of success is amazing. I wish they would get some non-conference team to take them on late in the year, the way that Notre Dame would sometimes do when they were stronger. I think the problem isn't Boise St; I think nobody else wants to play Boise St late in the year. I kinda see the argument, that other teams play a more challenging schedule and it wouldn't make sense to add another ranked opponent when your conference already has three or four in the top 15. But that's also a cop out. If a team is really that good, they shouldn't worry about facing BSU; they should just go out and prove that they're better.

I think BSU could make some noise if they were to end up in the Sugar Bowl against Alabama this year (assuming that's a match-up that happens). I would love to see it. That match-up would give Bama fans (and BSU skeptics) a chance to prove that the SEC really is that good, and that BSU may not be quite there yet. And it would also give BSU fans a chance to show that they can really hang with anyone. If the season were to end right now, and LSU heads to the title game against whoever, and if BSU were to take on and beat an Alabama team that grappled with LSU like they did, I think that would only increase their profile. I think a lot of people would begin to take even more seriously the Broncos as not just a BCS opponent, but a true title contender. It's sad they have to keep playing non-conference opponents to prove it, and that they can't prove it til the end of the year, but that's unfortunately what it calls for right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football