Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 12:15 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,263,729 times

Advertisements

Who here wouldn't want to see Boise in the Natty. I would LOVE to see that. Either way, they're either Legitimate, or not. Kellen More deserves to play in a Major Bowl game against an SEC or conference champion, if not the Natty. Im a HUGE Duck fan, and other that my Ducks (twice beaten by BSU), Im not watching the Natty this year. Ducks or BSU against LSU or Im going skiing. I lived in Boise for 6 months, if ever a town of good honest God fearing people deserved something good to happen, they do. Just let it be known, if BSU faces Oregon in the Rose Bowl, we will DESTROY YOU!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 02:14 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,261 times
Update on the status of this prediction..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
- LSU beats 'Bama <COMPLETE>

- OK-State will lose to Oklahoma (like they always do)

- Clemson will probably lose this weekend at GT, if now, they will definitely lose to South Carolina at the end of their schedule <COMPLETE>

- Oregon will beat Stanford...

- K-State will lose to a ton of teams including Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, A&M <COMPLETE>

-LSU will beat Arkansas

-LSU beats South Carolina in the SEC championship game <GEORGIA COULD WIN THE SEC EAST, IN THIS CASE-- LSU BEATS GEORGIA>

-There is no big 12 championship game <COMPLETE>

-Oregon wins the Pac 12
... Well on our way to Boise being in the Big Game...
The biggest tragedy would be in OU sneaks into the NC game ahead of Boise, frankly, OU has gotten into too many NC games it doesn't deserve to be in, who the heck wants to watch LSU kick the crap out of OU? Not me.

Also, if Bama plays LSU in a rematch for the NC game I think I will die from boredom.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:20 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
12-0 in 2004, 2006, 2008, and 2009.

They probably didn't legitimately deserve a look until 2009, though.
I assume u are talking national title game... I was talking BCS. I asked when did they not get in because they have played in the BCS when deserved.

they played in BCS in '06 & '09... and in '08 they lost to TCU in a lame bowl so it's obvious they didn't deserve to play. So only '04 were they left out.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:52 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times
Quote:
Update on the status of this prediction..

... Well on our way to Boise being in the Big Game...
The biggest tragedy would be in OU sneaks into the NC game ahead of Boise, frankly, OU has gotten into too many NC games it doesn't deserve to be in, who the heck wants to watch LSU kick the crap out of OU? Not me.

Also, if Bama plays LSU in a rematch for the NC game I think I will die from boredom.
Considering that the AP can disproportionately influence the BCS if they all desire to, it's pretty clear that the potential for national television ratings and buzz will be a factor - possibly the deciding factor. I think it really depends on how the final few weeks go, who the BCS 'survivors' are, and what kind of intriguing match-ups might exist around bowl selection time.

An Alabama-LSU rematch would have the grudge match angle, but it would be of interest mostly to people in the SEC. Additionally, there might be so much screaming about it from non-SEC teams that it could cause an uproar sufficient enough to force a playoff system, which none of the 'boss Hoggs' (especially the SEC) want. I think that as much as SEC would love an all-SEC match-up, it also wants to preserve a system that pretty much guarantees it big-time exposure in the marquee game of the season. They'll continue to be in the mix until the start losing year after year in big games like the Big Ten has. For these reasons, I'm thinking that it would only happen if Pac 10 and Big 12 teams start tripping over themselves down the final stretch.

I agree that OU should not get into the BCS game unless a few others drop like flies. I know the current BCS system is bad, and an 8-team playoff would be infinitely better, but given what we have, OU's one loss should count against them a little more, for the same reason that it would against, say, Ohio St. They've been to the big game a few times over the last few years, and it hasn't gone too well. If they could go undefeated or nearly undefeated and get nipped by a good team but otherwise have a great year, that would be one thing. But I think you have to give a team like Stanford, Oregon, BSU the nod this time.

And for what it's worth, I'm thinking it probably will be one of those teams to take on either LSU, Alabama, or possibly Arkansas, although the Backs are a long shot even if they do beat LSU. And let's not overlook the SEC title game, either. Georgia can't play for a title, but they can sure ruin someone else's season. And while it might not be entirely relevant to this year, LSU hasn't played Georgia particularly well in the Mark Richt era, so that could be an interesting footnote leading up to a possible showdown in Atlanta.

Similarly, Stanford doesn't have this thing on ice yet either. They have to beat Oregon -- not going to be easy, but should do it at home. And then they might have to go back and play USC again in the Pac 12 title game. No small task.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:55 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,459,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Considering that the AP can disproportionately influence the BCS if they all desire to, it's pretty clear that the potential for national television ratings and buzz will be a factor - possibly the deciding factor. I think it really depends on how the final few weeks go, who the BCS 'survivors' are, and what kind of intriguing match-ups might exist around bowl selection time.

An Alabama-LSU rematch would have the grudge match angle, but it would be of interest mostly to people in the SEC. Additionally, there might be so much screaming about it from non-SEC teams that it could cause an uproar sufficient enough to force a playoff system, which none of the 'boss Hoggs' (especially the SEC) want. I think that as much as SEC would love an all-SEC match-up, it also wants to preserve a system that pretty much guarantees it big-time exposure in the marquee game of the season. They'll continue to be in the mix until the start losing year after year in big games like the Big Ten has. For these reasons, I'm thinking that it would only happen if Pac 10 and Big 12 teams start tripping over themselves down the final stretch.

I agree that OU should not get into the BCS game unless a few others drop like flies. I know the current BCS system is bad, and an 8-team playoff would be infinitely better, but given what we have, OU's one loss should count against them a little more, for the same reason that it would against, say, Ohio St. They've been to the big game a few times over the last few years, and it hasn't gone too well. If they could go undefeated or nearly undefeated and get nipped by a good team but otherwise have a great year, that would be one thing. But I think you have to give a team like Stanford, Oregon, BSU the nod this time.

And for what it's worth, I'm thinking it probably will be one of those teams to take on either LSU, Alabama, or possibly Arkansas, although the Backs are a long shot even if they do beat LSU. And let's not overlook the SEC title game, either. Georgia can't play for a title, but they can sure ruin someone else's season. And while it might not be entirely relevant to this year, LSU hasn't played Georgia particularly well in the Mark Richt era, so that could be an interesting footnote leading up to a possible showdown in Atlanta.

Similarly, Stanford doesn't have this thing on ice yet either. They have to beat Oregon -- not going to be easy, but should do it at home. And then they might have to go back and play USC again in the Pac 12 title game. No small task.
USC is ineligible to play in Pac-12 champ. The winner of the north will play either UCLA (shockingly) or ASU.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:12 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,084,440 times
I'd have put Boise above Alabama in the rankings. I too would be very bored and disappointed if they put the national Championship as a rematch between the two.
If LSU loses the SEC Champeenship game to South Carolina or Georgia, and both ALA and LSU have one loss, then let them meet in somehting like the Pizza Inn bowl or the Korean Airlines bowl or something, give the title game to Boise vs Stanford

BTW Alabama could not have stopped the Houston Offense either. Of course, Houston probably would have lost to Alabama like 78 to 72 but it would have been a higher scoring game than we saw last night.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:28 PM

977 posts, read 1,956,080 times
Alabama is still ahead of Boise. Now, LSU needs to lose the SEC championship game, or Alabama would have to drop another one for Boise to get in. If the voters set up a rematch, that would be a travesty for the sport. Boise also needs Oklahoma and Oregon to lose again, because either one of them will jump Boise if they finish with 1 loss. And of course the other 2 undefeateds need to lose as well.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:36 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,261 times
Alabama vs LSU in the NC game? Ridiculous. No one in their right minds wants to watch that.

I'd much rather watch Boise vs. LSU or Stanford vs. LSU

I don't want to watch rematches. No to Oregon vs. LSU. Boooo!

Old 11-06-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Alabama vs LSU in the NC game? Ridiculous. No one in their right minds wants to watch that.

I'd much rather watch Boise vs. LSU or Stanford vs. LSU

I don't want to watch rematches. No to Oregon vs. LSU. Boooo!
I'd love to play Boise St., and I think they'd be more of a worthy opponent than a lot of people think. That's honestly the one team I could probably stomach losing to, especially if it was a game for the ages like the OU Fiesta Bowl in 2006. Not that I'd want to lose of course, but I'm sayin....I think it would be potentially a great match-up for NCAA football fans all over.

I bet it would be a ratings hit. 'David versus Goliath'. I know that probably 80 - 90 percent of the country would be rooting for BSU, but the fans in the Dome would be pretty partisan as well. Yes, I like this idea. Let's do it.

Come on, BSU vs. LSU.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
BTW Alabama could not have stopped the Houston Offense either. Of course, Houston probably would have lost to Alabama like 78 to 72 but it would have been a higher scoring game than we saw last night.
Come on, guys, let's not get carried away here. Seriously, if people think that Boise State hasn't played anybody, take a look at Houston's "accomplishments" this season. A 4-point victory over UCLA. A one-point, 35-34 victory over La. Tech. Beat that perennial power UTEP 49-42. Beat up on Marshall and Rice, but both have losing records in a very weak conference. At least Boise St. beat Georgia, which is a ranked team and might actually enter the top ten in the next two weeks.

Alabama would flatten Houston. It wouldn't be pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football