U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-26-2011, 07:08 AM
 
Location: Cook County
5,288 posts, read 6,373,257 times
Reputation: 3070

Advertisements

Interesting thread, nice writeups. From how I understand it, we will see ND in a conference at some point in the future, it's just a matter of when. I'm just basing this off some snobby ND alumnists I know and what they are saying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-26-2011, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Chicago
5,956 posts, read 6,573,784 times
Reputation: 5406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Notre Dame has acknowledged that outside forces could force them into a conference. My point is that Notre Dame doesn't have to jump into a conference right now. If those outside forces push ND into a conference, they'll have suitors. Notre Dame will join if they are forced. As of right now, there is not a reason for them to join a conference.
but, toxic, isn't today irrelevant if the long term future spells dread for the Irish without conference membership?

how does this work? does Notre Dame go along being an independent because it still works at the present while the whole world of college football gets restructured?

if so, am I to assume that if that magic moment comes about in, say, 2018 or so, ND will just automatically based on the echoes being awakened by its name get to go to whichever conference is lucky enough to get them?

Long term planning often means making adjustments in the present.

Look, today the Chicago Tribune reported with WV going to the B12 that other pieces might fall in line. The feeling was, they said, that the B10 would like to stick to the current 12 but that two schools in particular, hurt by the breakup of the Big East are looked at as decent prospects for B10 membership: Notre Dame and Rutgers. Pure speculation, I realize. But the point is that there has been plenty of speculation in those in news sources that have connections that has shown ND looking at conf membership.

again, stay tuned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2011, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,345 posts, read 14,128,093 times
Reputation: 5966
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
but, toxic, isn't today irrelevant if the long term future spells dread for the Irish without conference membership?

how does this work? does Notre Dame go along being an independent because it still works at the present while the whole world of college football gets restructured?

if so, am I to assume that if that magic moment comes about in, say, 2018 or so, ND will just automatically based on the echoes being awakened by its name get to go to whichever conference is lucky enough to get them?

Long term planning often means making adjustments in the present.

Look, today the Chicago Tribune reported with WV going to the B12 that other pieces might fall in line. The feeling was, they said, that the B10 would like to stick to the current 12 but that two schools in particular, hurt by the breakup of the Big East are looked at as decent prospects for B10 membership: Notre Dame and Rutgers. Pure speculation, I realize. But the point is that there has been plenty of speculation in those in news sources that have connections that has shown ND looking at conf membership
The fact is, this is what I have been saying all along. The only part of your post I agree with is that Notre Dame would probably jump to a conference if their hand is forced. Hasn't happened yet, but it surely could and Notre Dame is not going to have any problem with that. Notre Dame is not going to die as things change. They will have suitors. They will be fine.

I am sorry, the remainder of the original post about USC's bye weeks and no one wanting to play Notre Dame is pure fluff and grasping at straws. I've presented the empirical evidence on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2011, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Chicago
5,956 posts, read 6,573,784 times
Reputation: 5406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The fact is, this is what I have been saying all along. The only part of your post I agree with is that Notre Dame would probably jump to a conference if their hand is forced. Hasn't happened yet, but it surely could and Notre Dame is not going to have any problem with that. Notre Dame is not going to die as things change. They will have suitors. They will be fine.

I am sorry, the remainder of the original post about USC's bye weeks and no one wanting to play Notre Dame is pure fluff and grasping at straws. I've presented the empirical evidence on that.
I didn't know I said nobody wants to play Notre Dame. Of course they do.

I said there would be no place in the schedule for games in mid- or late-season if the conference devotes those times for conference play.

The bye week was no big issue to me. I merely suggested that a bye week in mid-season would probably be taken as opposed to a tiring non-conference game that might hurt you in the upcoming schedule.

sorry, Toast. I don't disrespect you for your ideas. I don't call what you say as "pure fluff" because you are merely offering your opinion and that is legitimate.

I have no desire to disrespect you or your ideas. Putting you down is the last thing I want to do. Nor do I have any desire to elevate mine over yours. I thought we were just sharing how we see it.

I guess, in that case, I was wrong.

and on that note.... Mr. Pure Fluff and grasper-at-straws makes it known: I'moutofhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2011, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,345 posts, read 14,128,093 times
Reputation: 5966
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post

I said there would be no place in the schedule for games in mid- or late-season if the conference devotes those times for conference play.
But this has not happened! There is no reason why it would happen. No conference is going to say to a school weeks 5-13 are dedicated to conference play. It is simply not a realistic idea. It is laughable to suggest Notre Dame would whither away because of something like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2011, 12:22 PM
 
Location: NE PA
7,936 posts, read 13,878,797 times
Reputation: 4382
ND is quickly becoming an irrelevant team. They just have such a big following because many Irish-Catholic people like to root for them because of the Fighting Irish name. But it really doesn't appear there are any more players of Irish descent at ND than at any other school. Most ND fans never attened ND and probably couldn't get into the school if they tried.

Penn State has an Irish-Catholic red-headed QB named McGloin. But wait, ND did have a QB named McDougal.

But if ND doesn't join a conference soon, they may as well become a Div I-AA team (FCS, whatever). The best fit for them would be the B10 obviously...long standing rivalries with Purdue, Mich St, Michigan, Penn St.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2011, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Chicago
5,956 posts, read 6,573,784 times
Reputation: 5406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
ND is quickly becoming an irrelevant team. They just have such a big following because many Irish-Catholic people like to root for them because of the Fighting Irish name. But it really doesn't appear there are any more players of Irish descent at ND than at any other school. Most ND fans never attened ND and probably couldn't get into the school if they tried.

Penn State has an Irish-Catholic red-headed QB named McGloin. But wait, ND did have a QB named McDougal.

But if ND doesn't join a conference soon, they may as well become a Div I-AA team (FCS, whatever). The best fit for them would be the B10 obviously...long standing rivalries with Purdue, Mich St, Michigan, Penn St.
I see your point, Mr Yuk, but it was more than Irish Catholic. It was equally Italian Catholics, Polish Catholics, and the rest of that group that made up so much of the "European ethnics" throughout much of the 20th century. This is a different America today, thus old "European ethnics" rather thoroughly mixed into the mainstream and really there is nothing comparable today. Hispanic Catholics, for example, have any special relationship with Notre Dame.

Notre Dame played PR very well in the 20th century which fit them and their uniqueness; today is different.


The Irish were their team. And so much of that support came because of the very prejudice that society showed Catholics during this era.

Notre Dame tried to join the Big Ten in the late 1920s/early 1930s; it was kept out because of it being a Catholic institution. Unable to get rid of its independent status (which, let's face it, worked better in the only part of the US, the northeast, where it dominated), ND decided to embrace it instead for its uniqueness. But even in the 1990s, ND gave serious consideration to joining the conference, its faculty very much in support of it due to it granting ND membership in the CIC, the B10's academic/research consortium (+ the Univ of Chgo), automatic with membership.

Yes, Mr Yuk, the Big Ten is the logical place. MSU and Purdue have been yearly opponents for an eternity. Michigan for a long time. The series vs. Northwestern is exceedingly long (although not played much in recent years); this series really appeals to Chicago fans (as does ND-Illini). Ohio State has had some great games with Notre Dame; IU, like Purdue, offers instate competition. Indeed the only long time conference member I can think of that doesn't have much of a relationship with ND is Minny.


I think you've raised some very good points here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2011, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Syracuse, New York
3,114 posts, read 2,530,936 times
Reputation: 2276
Notre Dame better get into a conference. Notre Dame's tv ratings have slumped to record low levels. Conference games would be more meaningful than non-conference games against Navy, Wake Forest and Maryland.

When Nore Dame's out of the running for a BCS berth, few people are going to watch a game that only affects a regular season record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2011, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
201 posts, read 268,877 times
Reputation: 139
Notre Dame annually has games against USC, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Boston College, and Navy which simulates a conference schedule for any BCS school. It's not like they are playing App State or Richmond every week.

Also what isn't factored into their revenue by many is that outside the 7 games on NBC they also get paid for the other 5 games as the visitor which makes their TV revenue worth more than any conference doles out.

Based on what ABC pays for the Notre Dame-USC game every other year (they only can bid on the road game) I don't think their ratings are slumping to a level of concern and what they may have lost in ratings they have kept in ad sponsors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2011, 10:34 AM
 
4,668 posts, read 6,128,164 times
Reputation: 5840
Where is the "prestige" in finishing 4th in a Big 10 division? If they were going to join a conf. it would have happened by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top