U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-22-2011, 12:56 PM
 
52,003 posts, read 41,835,728 times
Reputation: 32446

Advertisements

Ah Notre Dame.

Fond memories of working in Chicago back in the 90's and hearing the ND fans get insulted and upset because their 5-5 record against a schedule padded with Airforce etc....should have gotten them in a better bowl game. Then they would lose by 35.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-22-2011, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Chicago
5,914 posts, read 6,549,966 times
Reputation: 5388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ah Notre Dame.

Fond memories of working in Chicago back in the 90's and hearing the ND fans get insulted and upset because their 5-5 record against a schedule padded with Airforce etc....should have gotten them in a better bowl game. Then they would lose by 35.
and in today's Chicago....

the big three of the media.....Illinois, Northwestern, and Notre Dame....get pretty much the same coverage; NIU, of course, being the step child.

the days when the Irish got more than the others is long gone.

It's fairly balanced today. Indeed if I were to pick the one out of the three that tends to get the most football coverage, it would be NU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 09:16 AM
 
52,003 posts, read 41,835,728 times
Reputation: 32446
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
and in today's Chicago....

the big three of the media.....Illinois, Northwestern, and Notre Dame....get pretty much the same coverage; NIU, of course, being the step child.

the days when the Irish got more than the others is long gone.

It's fairly balanced today. Indeed if I were to pick the one out of the three that tends to get the most football coverage, it would be NU.
I wasn't commenting on attention....northwestern clearly got a lot when they went to the rose bowl.

Just saying that ND had some lean years there for a while and would limp into a bowl bid due to the soft parts of their schedule. Then because they were a big $$$ draw they'd get invited to bowls over their head and get crushed.

From 1995-2007 they went 0-9 in bowl games with a combined score of 316-157.

Now, don't get me wrong....this is fine. The funny\irritating part would be hearing the fans on sports radio and what not IRATE that they weren't in an even better bowl game and that they shouldn't even play in a bowl that was so beneath them.....and then they'd lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Chicago
5,914 posts, read 6,549,966 times
Reputation: 5388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I wasn't commenting on attention....northwestern clearly got a lot when they went to the rose bowl.

Just saying that ND had some lean years there for a while and would limp into a bowl bid due to the soft parts of their schedule. Then because they were a big $$$ draw they'd get invited to bowls over their head and get crushed.

From 1995-2007 they went 0-9 in bowl games with a combined score of 316-157.

Now, don't get me wrong....this is fine. The funny\irritating part would be hearing the fans on sports radio and what not IRATE that they weren't in an even better bowl game and that they shouldn't even play in a bowl that was so beneath them.....and then they'd lose.
hey, math, i realize that you weren't commenting on attention. i added what I did because I completely agreed with you; the part i wrote afterwards was just adding to some negative stuff about ND.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 10:59 AM
 
52,003 posts, read 41,835,728 times
Reputation: 32446
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
hey, math, i realize that you weren't commenting on attention. i added what I did because I completely agreed with you; the part i wrote afterwards was just adding to some negative stuff about ND.
Cool. Gave me an excuse to dig up the 9 bowl game losing streak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Chicago
5,914 posts, read 6,549,966 times
Reputation: 5388
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathguy View Post
cool. Gave me an excuse to dig up the 9 bowl game losing streak. :d
go stanford!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2011, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Chicago
5,914 posts, read 6,549,966 times
Reputation: 5388
there are many things you do in life that are your own decisions, done to affect you in areas of your life you control.

Notre Dame's independence is not one of those things. Notre Dame does not exist in a vacuum. It exists as part of the structure of the NCAA and the BCS.

So while ND has the right to control things under its own control, it doesn't call the shots for the cooperate that is college football. No man, nor school,is an isle.

In other words, if Notre Dame wishes to keep the absurdity of its independence, the BCS doesn't have to go along with it. The BCS can do what it wishes. It can set up a championship tournament of 4 or 8 schools that is dependent on winning their conference championships. It or its member conferences can design a schedule where the last 8 games of the season are for intraconference play and squeeze ND out of being able to schedule games against prime opponents at that time.

If the culture and structure of college football changes, it can make having Notre Dame be an independent make no more sense nor ability to really play the game than the notion of the Yankees decidedly to go for independence status in the structure of MLB>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2011, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,345 posts, read 14,108,709 times
Reputation: 5964
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
In other words, if Notre Dame wishes to keep the absurdity of its independence, the BCS doesn't have to go along with it. The BCS can do what it wishes. It can set up a championship tournament of 4 or 8 schools that is dependent on winning their conference championships.
Reports are that the BCS is planning to get out of the bowl game business, instead only concerning itself with pitting 1 vs. 2; and selling the location to the highest bidder, like the Super Bowl. The BCS is not going to intentionaly squeeze out the Irish. The BCS has bent over backward to accomodate the Irish. They won't suddenly decide to ignore the giant fan base and money just to force the Irish to join a conference. Notre Dame will have plenty of suitors if and when they decide to join a conference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
It or its member conferences can design a schedule where the last 8 games of the season are for intraconference play and squeeze ND out of being able to schedule games against prime opponents at that time.
This isn't going to happen. This is not Army or Eastern Washington we are talking about here. This is Notre freakin' Dame. No one going to arrange conference schedules in such a manner that ND can not schedule games the last week of the season. Utter nonesense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2011, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Chicago
5,914 posts, read 6,549,966 times
Reputation: 5388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Reports are that the BCS is planning to get out of the bowl game business, instead only concerning itself with pitting 1 vs. 2; and selling the location to the highest bidder, like the Super Bowl. The BCS is not going to intentionaly squeeze out the Irish. The BCS has bent over backward to accomodate the Irish. They won't suddenly decide to ignore the giant fan base and money just to force the Irish to join a conference. Notre Dame will have plenty of suitors if and when they decide to join a conference.



This isn't going to happen. This is not Army or Eastern Washington we are talking about here. This is Notre freakin' Dame. No one going to arrange conference schedules in such a manner that ND can not schedule games the last week of the season. Utter nonesense.
toxic, your remarks sound an awful lot about 20th century Notre Dame, and very little about 21st century Notre Dame.

ND is registering with fewer and fewer folks. It belongs to older generations who were built on its glory. that's not the story of today.

Sure they'd squeeze out Notre Dame intentionally or not. If the idea of Super Conference goes to 4 super conferences (I hope it doesn't; it's a dreadful idea), that four is there for a mathematical reason:

4 champions of their conferences who will go on to play a national championship tournament.

"This is Notre freakin' Dame." What one earth do the conferences care about Notre freakin' Dame or even Notre unfreakin' Dame. The name itself does not assure the future.

whether you like it or not, conference scheduling will be based on mid- to late-season conference games (you and I have been through this before). even an open week in the schedule is hardly an inviting time to schedule Notre Dame because the emphasis will mainly be on winning the conference title.

I have no desire to go back and forth with you again, Toast. It's pointless. You make you arguments on one issue only:

The eternally sacred name of Notre Dame.

You look at the 20th century's long run of the glory years (truthfully as glorious as any university in the land during that time) and consider it to be a legacy, something earned that gets passed on from generation to generation, unstoppable.

That is pure garbage.

Time changes. College football changes. Notre Dame changes. It has little left to make it special but the marquee, and it is fading. Even that vaunted notion of ND's tv contract (which supposedly is something NBC is questioning right now; and which brings in no more money than the BTN divies out to each individual university in the conference).

You're living in the past on this one, and nobody is going to wake you up on it. Have a good sleep, Rip Van Leprachun.

What's a two word assessment of every thing TT has to say:

Quote:
Utter nonesense
Sorry, TT, I can't respond to this anymore to you; you're too much like a broken record, playing endlessly "wake up the echoes cheering her name." Sorry, Charlie; the echoes have done stopped. Forgetaboutit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2011, 03:41 AM
 
Location: Chicago
5,914 posts, read 6,549,966 times
Reputation: 5388
Stan freakin' ford 28 Notre not-so-freakin' Dame 14

(it was Stan freakin' ford 28 Notre not-so-freakin' Dame 7 before a meaningless last minute TD, but why quibble?)

Stanford QB Andrew Luck goes 3-0 vs. Notre Dame in his career, proving Toast was right and I was wrong: Stanford and other BCS schools will continue to drool over playing the Irish and schedule them at will, knowing that it is virtually assured they'll get another "w" in the win column.

And ND even gets to play in a bowl game....the Independence Bowl....vs. itself.

Last time ND beat a top ten ranked team? Check the history books. I think it was Notre Dame 7 Yale 6 in '08; no, not that '08.....we're talking 1908.

Toast is constantly telling me how much smarter he is than I, so he must be right; therefore I'm leave it up to him to answer:

if this (seemingly expected) set up of 4 super conferences with 16 teams each works out and the champions go on to play a three game tournament for the national championship, how exactly is independent Notre Dame going to worm its way into the tournament? ("they have to include Notre Dame" is not an acceptable answer)

ROFLOL



Last edited by edsg25; 11-27-2011 at 04:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top