U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 07:46 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,608,124 times

Advertisements

I think the reason ND wants to remain independent is because of money, but also because it doesn't want to feel pressured into competing with conference rivals year after year. It's somewhat unique in that it gets to pick its rivalries, such as USC.

There was a time when football teams dreaded seeing Notre Dame on their schedule, but not these days. However, I think ND's taking steps in the right direction. Brian Kelly is slowly building that program up to a level of competitiveness. They won their first bowl game in ages last year, and although they've suffered some disappointing losses this year, they've been competitive in some of their games against higher-ranked opponents.

Give Kelly a few more years. I think Charlie Weis was false hope and ended up setting their program back. It'll take time for Kelly to mold it into the kind of force that he wants it to be, but hell, if he can make Cincinnati (freaking Cincinnati) a top five team...I'm guessing he can do similar things with a team that has the tradition that ND has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 08:29 AM

8,340 posts, read 14,097,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
"This is Notre freakin' Dame." What one earth do the conferences care about Notre freakin' Dame or even Notre unfreakin' Dame. The name itself does not assure the future.
The ACC does, alledgedly:

Notre Dame and the ACC - ACC Blog - ESPN

Google Notre Dame and ACC; plenty of rumors have been flying.

Quote:
whether you like it or not, conference scheduling will be based on mid- to late-season conference games (you and I have been through this before). even an open week in the schedule is hardly an inviting time to schedule Notre Dame because the emphasis will mainly be on winning the conference title. I have no desire to go back and forth with you again, Toast. It's pointless. You make you arguments on one issue only:

The eternally sacred name of Notre Dame.

You look at the 20th century's long run of the glory years (truthfully as glorious as any university in the land during that time) and consider it to be a legacy, something earned that gets passed on from generation to generation, unstoppable.

That is pure garbage.

Time changes. College football changes. Notre Dame changes. It has little left to make it special but the marquee, and it is fading. Even that vaunted notion of ND's tv contract (which supposedly is something NBC is questioning right now; and which brings in no more money than the BTN divies out to each individual university in the conference).
If Notre Dame wants to join a conference, they'll join one. They will not get squeezed out. They are powerful enough to have the BCS bend over for them, there is no reason that won't continue. None.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:46 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,597,078 times
for one, they want to keep their rivalries with Michigan, BC, USC, Stanford, Purdue, etc...

Old 09-12-2012, 09:45 AM

8,340 posts, read 14,097,157 times
Quote:
Stan freakin' ford 28 Notre not-so-freakin' Dame 14

(it was Stan freakin' ford 28 Notre not-so-freakin' Dame 7 before a meaningless last minute TD, but why quibble?)

Stanford QB Andrew Luck goes 3-0 vs. Notre Dame in his career, proving Toast was right and I was wrong: Stanford and other BCS schools will continue to drool over playing the Irish and schedule them at will, knowing that it is virtually assured they'll get another "w" in the win column.

And ND even gets to play in a bowl game....the Independence Bowl....vs. itself.

Last time ND beat a top ten ranked team? Check the history books. I think it was Notre Dame 7 Yale 6 in '08; no, not that '08.....we're talking 1908.

Toast is constantly telling me how much smarter he is than I, so he must be right; therefore I'm leave it up to him to answer:

if this (seemingly expected) set up of 4 super conferences with 16 teams each works out and the champions go on to play a three game tournament for the national championship, how exactly is independent Notre Dame going to worm its way into the tournament? ("they have to include Notre Dame" is not an acceptable answer)

ROFLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The ACC does, alledgedly:

Notre Dame and the ACC - ACC Blog - ESPN

Google Notre Dame and ACC; plenty of rumors have been flying.

If Notre Dame wants to join a conference, they'll join one. They will not get squeezed out. They are powerful enough to have the BCS bend over for them, there is no reason that won't continue. None.

Hey there Edsg. Turns out Notre Dame was in fact playing footsies with the ACC the whole time. You had better get your soapbox ready.

Notre Dame to the ACC, football not included

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 09-12-2012 at 11:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football