U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-27-2011, 12:46 PM

2,864 posts, read 1,442,029 times
Default HOW NORTH TEXAS will land a Bowl Bid

There are as we know 70 teams going to Bowls. To go to a Bowl the NCAA Mandates a minimum nuber of wins. SOme teams like USC cannot go due to probabtion regardless of how many wins they get

What that means is That every year mediocre teams get Bowl Games
SO what about North Texas ?
They are 3-5 right now with 4 games to go Those 4 games are all against Conference Rivals Including heavy Favorites Troy and Ark State. Other two are bottom 10 cweller Middle Tennessee and Western Kentucky.

4 Wins and the MEAN GREEN get a Bowl bid.
Now lets look seriously at that ppossibility. If they win the COnference, which is unlikely they get an automatic berth to the New ORleans Bowl.
That is guaranteed for the Sun Belt conference Champion. You know the Sun Belt right? Kind of as one writer said "Division 2 on steroids"
Schools that have below mediocre programs like Florida Atlantic and North Texas....schools that do not draw enough on Saturday to get TV covereage or consideration into a major conference. Schools that want to play with the big boys but just aren't quite big enough.
BUT according to Stats, schools that can still squeak into the car care bowl or the Pizza dot com bowl (the one's being played out in December while you are doing the last minute Christmas shopping or drinking)

The ones few people watch

Which is a boon for North Texas should they win and it could happen We are talking about the Sun Belt. These are players for the most part that came in after 2 years of Jr College, and that were not rated by USA TODAY top 200 picks....They are players who were not considered by big schools in the area like Texas Tech and TCU
They are players that play very inconsistantly which is a HALLMARK of the Sun Belt. They are underrsized, underrated and the way North Texas is run on the cheap (at least when I was there) Probably underpaid as well.

WHICH is probably why North Texas should NOT get a bowl even with a 7-5 record which is a long shot at best. They would go against someone like Western Michigan or Bowling Green who would kick the green snot out of them in any bowl game. And Rick Villareal, the less than stellar AD would point to that bowl visit as some great accomplishment and use it to justify his job and his teacher's college run sports on the cheap style which has prevented North Texas from making the jump out of being a division 2 school anyway.
BUT it could happen.....

Join me next week when I will talk about how Obama will end up as a great President and how the high quality of Chinese made goods will serve as a renaissance for American Engineers
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 01:07 PM

2,721 posts, read 2,088,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
There are as we know 70 teams going to Bowls. To go to a Bowl the NCAA Mandates a minimum nuber of wins. SOme teams like USC cannot go due to probabtion regardless of how many wins they get

What that means is That every year mediocre teams get Bowl Games
SO what about North Texas ?
They are 3-5 right now with 4 games to go Those 4 games are all against Conference Rivals Including heavy Favorites Troy and Ark State. Other two are bottom 10 cweller Middle Tennessee and Western Kentucky.

4 Wins and the MEAN GREEN get a Bowl bid.
Now lets look seriously at that ppossibility. If they win the COnference, which is unlikely they get an automatic berth to the New ORleans Bowl.
That is guaranteed for the Sun Belt conference Champion. You know the Sun Belt right? Kind of as one writer said "Division 2 on steroids"
Schools that have below mediocre programs like Florida Atlantic and North Texas....schools that do not draw enough on Saturday to get TV covereage or consideration into a major conference. Schools that want to play with the big boys but just aren't quite big enough.
BUT according to Stats, schools that can still squeak into the car care bowl or the Pizza dot com bowl (the one's being played out in December while you are doing the last minute Christmas shopping or drinking)

The ones few people watch

Which is a boon for North Texas should they win and it could happen We are talking about the Sun Belt. These are players for the most part that came in after 2 years of Jr College, and that were not rated by USA TODAY top 200 picks....They are players who were not considered by big schools in the area like Texas Tech and TCU
They are players that play very inconsistantly which is a HALLMARK of the Sun Belt. They are underrsized, underrated and the way North Texas is run on the cheap (at least when I was there) Probably underpaid as well.

WHICH is probably why North Texas should NOT get a bowl even with a 7-5 record which is a long shot at best. They would go against someone like Western Michigan or Bowling Green who would kick the green snot out of them in any bowl game. And Rick Villareal, the less than stellar AD would point to that bowl visit as some great accomplishment and use it to justify his job and his teacher's college run sports on the cheap style which has prevented North Texas from making the jump out of being a division 2 school anyway.
BUT it could happen.....

Join me next week when I will talk about how Obama will end up as a great President and how the high quality of Chinese made goods will serve as a renaissance for American Engineers
I want to see them in a bowl game!! Hey, they beat up on Big 10 Indiana this year... so don't discount them just yet. They look to be getting better under coach McCarney. I guarantee the new stadium will bring in better players for the upcoming years.

Also, I think the Sun Belt is better than the MAC.

Go mean green!

Old 10-27-2011, 02:24 PM

15,378 posts, read 14,852,485 times
I thought the Sun Belt was like the MAC without books.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:18 PM

8,597 posts, read 4,181,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
I want to see them in a bowl game!! Hey, they beat up on Big 10 Indiana this year... so don't discount them just yet. They look to be getting better under coach McCarney. I guarantee the new stadium will bring in better players for the upcoming years.

Also, I think the Sun Belt is better than the MAC.

Go mean green!
Yeah, that new stadium looks nice and it will help them with recruiting. I suppose it's possible that North Texas could get a bowl game, Go Mean Green!

Old 10-30-2011, 02:57 PM

1,960 posts, read 2,280,647 times
I'd pull for this. Dickey had a great run at UNT for several years and if McCarney could get the Davis brothers to play up in Ames, IA, anything can happen. Maybe.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:07 AM

1,626 posts, read 837,357 times
UConn can actually get to a bowl game too, but that would meaning beating 2 of: Syracuse, Cincinnati and Rutgers (assuming we don't lose to Louisville). There's about 8 bowls too many. Last year, IIRC 72 or 73 teams finished at least .500 (minimum number of wins to qualify). Just imagine if 2 of those 6-6 teams: Georgia and Georgia Tech loat a game they had won, how much of a problem it would have caused. In a 24-20 win over Wake Forest, Georgia tech scored 18 4th quarter points, including the game winner with 15 seconds to play to squak by Wake. If they lose that game they finish 5-7 and don't qualfy. Another 6-6 team, UTEP, had to kick a game-winning field goal as time expired against 1-11 Memphis to avoid OT; lose that game, and they finish 5-7 and don't qualify.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:42 PM

UNT just needs a win againt Powerhouse Western Kentucky (Who is suddenly good since they got rid of the defensive coordinator) and agasint bottom ten sweller Middle Tennessee
Problem is m the guy who used to work for Western Kentuck works for UNT now !!!

Old 11-14-2011, 03:58 PM

Go Mean Green!!! You can beat those hill toppers!!

Speaking of which, one of the highest scoring games I ever saw in person was North Texas vs. Western Kentucky... both teams hadn't won any of their games, it was the worst defenses I've ever seen in college sports.

I like Western Kentucky's mascot though... he is a riot.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:43 PM

YIKES ! What is that thing!?!?!!

Does look more menacing than the UNT Eagle pasted all over the latest issue of the alumni magazine

Old 11-16-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
YIKES ! What is that thing!?!?!!

Does look more menacing than the UNT Eagle pasted all over the latest issue of the alumni magazine
The Hill Topper, the guy is a riot... his mouth bounces around as he walks-- it is hilarious...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football